No announcement yet.

Free Website Makeover - Sign up!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

and to add to Matt's post. Some search engines analyze text inside header tags and use it to rank Web pages. They assume that anything important enough to put in larger text is also relevant to the page's content.

And you should never use the < h1 > < /h1 > tags as a replacement for the font tags. Anything you put within the tags spiders will read it as the pages topic. So if you do this < h1 >Donate< /h1 > spiders will think that page is only about 'donate' and not about what it really is.
    I agree I meant to point that out but did not. Use your heading tags wisely. And yes I have seen them called header and headings. I actually prefer heading, I probably typed header as I was working on the header code for a website for some one else while I wrote that

Get a free website makeover for your lawn care business!
    Go to this thread to learn more:
    http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?p=44255

Comment

If I might make some suggestions regarding optimization.

One of the first things a person should do is to get rid of all the tables that are used for websites. You need to have a website that is both HTML and CSS validated. You should use CSS style sheets for your design and then use "div" "div id" and "div class" tags instead of the "table" tags. One of the reasons for this is when a search engine is spidering your page, it will only read so much of the html code, using a lot of table take up a lot of unnecessary code. Create ids & classes using css, it is much cleaner.

You should also have a sitemap.xml file in you root directory for google, this tells the googlebot what to look for and where it is located. Very helpful!

If you are not familiar with CSS there are many sites that explain it or you can hire some one to redesign your site. I use nothing but valid html and css for any site I design.
      Quality Hosting

Comment

This is all incredibly interesting.

You should also have a sitemap.xml file in you root directory for google, this tells the googlebot what to look for and where it is located. Very helpful!
        Now does this have to be on a visible link in your homepage or how do the search engines ultimately find these sitemaps?
        - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
        Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

For more on getting you site listed higher in the search engines.

You need to get your PageRank higher. One way to help this is to have links from other relevant sites linking into you site. (notice the emphasis on relevant! If your site is about lawn care than a link from a furniture sale website is going to do nothing for you PR.

You also want to obtain links that have a higher PR than yours. This is also helpful when you first develop your website. The higher the PR of a linking in site will get you listed much faster in google. The reason is that as an example, a site that has a PR of 6 or higher is visited by the googlebot at least daily if not every hour, as this site has updated content regularly and if you have a link on the spidered page it will follow to your page.

There are many sites on the internet to find like sites to exchange links with. Also, I you have a new site, I would suggest that paying for a link on a relevant site with a high PR is a good idea as it will get you site listed in the search engines quickly.
          Quality Hosting

Comment

This is all incredibly interesting.

Now does this have to be on a visible link in your homepage or how do the search engines ultimately find these sitemaps?
            Googlebots are configured to look in the root directory of the file sitemap (or something similar) .xml

Yahoo also looks for a sitemap but the file name and config is different. it is a sitemap.html that also goes in the root directory.

You can read about sitemaps at http://www.sitemaps.org/
            Quality Hosting

Comment

Thank you for that great info. I have to start reading it now.

So I am guessing that you need to name your sitemap sitemap.xml and put it in the root directory. If you don't do that (different name or directory) it simply won't be found?

Also when you say page rank, is that the rank the page shows up in search engine results or is this something else?
              - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!

Comment

Thank you for that great info. I have to start reading it now.

So I am guessing that you need to name your sitemap sitemap.xml and put it in the root directory. If you don't do that (different name or directory) it simply won't be found?

Also when you say page rank, is that the rank the page shows up in search engine results or is this something else?
                When he refers to page rank (commonly known as PR) it's the rank that Google assigns to your page. Basically the higher your page rank the *more important* your website is. Your page rank is based on a number of factors but the main one being inbound links (other websites that link to yours) and also the number of outbound links (other websites you link to) and the quality of both inbound and outbound links. It's another factor in the way Google lists results on search pages.

Although there has been a lot of changes with page rank and talk whether it's as important as it once was in deciding your websites ranking.

I hope all that is clear, I'm pretty tired and about to head off to bed but I just wanted to reply to that first

Comment

So then how does one find out their page rank?

Also are you saying it's important to link to important sites? Google is an important site, do you get better search result placement if you have a link from your site to their site?

Comment

So then how does one find out their page rank?

Also are you saying it's important to link to important sites? Google is an important site, do you get better search result placement if you have a link from your site to their site?
                    You can use a website like this to find out your page rank:
                    http://www.prchecker.info/check_page_rank.php

I'm not saying if you link to a bunch of important sites you will get a higher rank, but if you link to a bunch of low quality or spam related sites then your page rank may drop and the quality of your outbound links will go down.

On another note, this contest has been kept open a few extra days as I was gone most of Saturday and today. I will leave this open until tomorrow after noon or morning. This will give a little bit more time for late sign ups and I'm also just to tired to close the contest at the moment. But if you are considering signing up, don't wait any longer cause this will close at any given time tomorrow and most likely without notice.

Comment

if anyone wants to really understand PR you can read this amazing article.

http://www.webworkshop.net/pagerank.html

Comment

Free Website

So Who won?

Hope It was me! My Site needs a Makeover

Tom

Comment

if anyone wants to really understand PR you can read this amazing article.

http://www.webworkshop.net/pagerank.html
                          Thanks for the article Ritchie, there is a lot explaining page rank in that post.

They rightly figure that webmasters cannot control which sites link to their sites, but they can control which sites they link out to. For this reason, links into a site cannot harm the site, but links from a site can be harmful if they link to penalized sites. So be careful which sites you link to. If a site has PR0, it is usually a penalty, and it would be unwise to link to it.
                          This is not always true. The reason is, Google only updates page rank every 3 months or so? Some thing like that, so newer website's could go a couple of months without even getting the chance to have their Page Rank updated.
                          Just some thing to think about, cause not all pr0 websites are bad.

[TOP]

So Who won?

Hope It was me! My Site needs a Makeover

Tom
                          I have not picked a winner yet But one will be picked later today. I'll be sure to let everyone know once the winner is chosen.

Comment

I have not picked a winner yet But one will be picked later today. I'll be sure to let everyone know once the winner is chosen.
                            I am looking forwards to this!

Comment

A winner has been randomly selected. Steve is there anyway I can edit my original post? I would like to be able to change a few things and update it with the name of the winner.

Comment

There is something in a setting that doesn't allow it.

Can you let me know and I will change it? PM me?

Or just make a new post here?

Comment

Working...
                                X