Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would i step up from a jr member?
    As you post more, your title changes.
    - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
    Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

• New guy

Hi everyone! My name is Gary Whitt and I just started WHITT BROTHERS PROPERTY CARE I rutland vermont. This is my first year out. Any advice on writing contracts and biding jobs is welcome.

Comment

• Hi everyone! My name is Gary Whitt and I just started WHITT BROTHERS PROPERTY CARE I rutland vermont. This is my first year out. Any advice on writing contracts and biding jobs is welcome.
        gwhitt, check out some of the contracts in 'Contract and Flyer Templates' on this site at top of the page. They are very helpful, some put a lot more in their contact than others do,and some are short and others have several pages, but it will give you a good start.

Comment

• Welcome new forum members! Make a new post and say hello to us. Tell us a little about you and your company. What got you to take the jump and start your own business?
          Hi, I'm the Gardening Girl just bought a landscape company and wanted to see if anyone had a list of questions to ask potential applicants. How do you know if you are hiring quality workers?

Comment

• Welcome to our forum. That is a good question.

I'd suggest making a question about that in the employee section of the forum.

What are you looking for your employees to do?
            - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!

Comment

• Hello

Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. My name is Mick and I am getting ready to open Trademark Property Services, LLC at the beginning of May. I have spent the past three months or so forming my LLC and purchasing equipment little by little so I can go into this as prepared as possible. I still have a lot to do before I hit the ground running in May and look forward to hearing from everyone and getting some great advice. So if anyone has any advice for me don't be afraid to hit me up.

Comment

• Welcome to our forum!

I still have a lot to do before I hit the ground running in May
                What else is on your to do list?

Comment

• WildbrierArborEcology - WAEdude

Welcome new forum members! Make a new post and say hello to us. Tell us a little about you and your company. What got you to take the jump and start your own business?
                  We/I got started in business by starting a handyman business focused on serving the older population in our area that used to be active doing things around their home for themselves. I was working 2nd shift as an aluminum welder at a local HD industrial equipment OEM component manufacturer.

I had also returned from a year in Kuwait with my National Guard unit where in addition to my regular duties I served as our unofficial chaplain since we were a "non-deployable" unit with no support infrastructure - including no motorpool or chaplain. Thus in the desert God renewed my call to the ministry.

Our church offered me a part-time assistant pastor position and I started landscaping and handyman-ing on my time to provide support for my family of 8 (now 9).

Having lived in this small rural community for about 10 years, the first customers that stuck were people I had known in the community and church and a couple from classified ads. Lawn care became part of our business because of how well we did our other work - integrity, dependability and good customer relations (trust). They basically asked, "Do you do lawns too?".

We also became known as willing to do dirty work- nearly impossible estate clean ups on nearly impossible time sensitive deadlines. This got us years of work for clients of our local public administrator and continues today.

A massive ice-storm a year after we started got us into dangerous limb (and some tree) removal - hence our working name Wildbrier ArborEcology and Services, LLC. We are transitioning into simply "The WAE".

In short we have done electrical, plumbing, painting, flooring, restoration, gutters and cleaning, roofing and repair, siding repair, drywall, landscape design, restoration and installation, estate cleanup with document and heirloom recovery, metal recycling and removal, junk haul off, brush clearing and even a little welding. And of course lawn care.

We love working with our hands, being outside and doing multiple tasks for a select number of clients.

We are looking forward to learning all we can from all of you about how to do our lawn care better, more professionally and more profitably.

Comment

• Hello From the Newest Lawn Care Service in the Nations Oldest City

Hello,
                    Got into this business about a week ago. I'm retired Navy and after being retired for 4 years I have already had it with Corporate America! Never imagined I'd pick this type of work for my first business, but there is a housing boom in this area and money yet to be made. Working out of the NorthEast Florida area which includes Jacksonville Metro area, St Augustine, Daytona, Clay county, etc.

Have always taken care of my on lawns with great success and figured I'd put my iron in the fire and attempt lawn care on a more permanent basis. Have already picked up 2 regulars as well as took care of a neglected property up for sale - all since Tuesday this week. What a jungle the one up for sale was!

So far it's just me running things - and likely will be for quite some time. Have a self propelled 22" craftsman push mower, battery operated Ryobi Edger and trimmer combo, electric blower, plus hedge clippers, rake, etc to get things done. Hauling everything around in the bed of my F-150 for now. Looking to get me some type of small trailer I can get in and out off the garage daily instead of loading and unloading truck everyday. HOA won't allow me to park any type of trailer in my driveway or out front overnight! Same goes for signs on side of truck (need advice on what kinds to get anyway), please.

Got business cards made (myself) and have posted ads on Craigslist and on a site call Thumbtack.com. Otherwise I'm still working on figuring our how to drum up business.

So, where do I go from here? I want to make this successful - have to in order to get my bills paid.

Anyway, hello everyone. Another Newbie is here. Thanks

Comment

• I did the "go slow, let it grow" game plan, which means no debt. I saved and saved and saved and now we have 4 routes, each with enough clients to keep 12 people busy all week. As we grew, we added equipment and employees (contract employment works great where I am). It was rough though when we started getting credit cards rom Honda Power Equipment, Toro, John Deere, etc etc. But if you let the business grow slowly, you'll have quality over quantity. I don't have any yards under $60 anymore, and almost everything we do is residential. Our commercial contracts start at $175, but commercial has been more of a pain in my area than its been worth.

As far as equipment goes, I am the sole person who does the maintenance, and I spend about four hours a day maintaining mowers. They get cleaned, tuned up, blades sharpened, you name it. You have to keep up on it, when something breaks, your out of business until you save up to replace or repair something. As soon as I could I got back-up mowers, every route as one back-up, which stays in the truck at all times. As soon as you can, get commercial grade equipment. Your going to find out real quick that consumer grade mowers will last MAYBE one season before they become money pits. Not to mention a consumer grade mower can't even hold a candle to the cut you get with professional gear.

One other quick note: do not low-ball your pricing to build clientele, you will get every dirtbag & cheapskate in Florida calling you. Customers want cheap, and cheap doesn't get it paid. When I started I had every service I could find, including the local high schoolers, come out and give me a quote. That gave me an idea of where to set my prices. I don't know about Florida, but up here in Alaska, if you start low-balling prices, you WILL get run out of business by those who are legal businesses. So don't do it, underbid by a couple dollars, but don't bid an acre of grass at $50 when every other service in the city can get $150 for it. Basically, I get $600 a week for ten lawns, one of my cheap competitors has to mow 20 lawns to make the same cash. Your choice, but I like not having to work as much for the same money LOL. Have the local services come out and give you an estimate for a mow & go (mow & trim), find out what the going rates are, and get busy

Good luck on the new adventure, if you need anything, my email is bytheyardak@gmail.com and I am always on Facebook: www.facebook.com/bytheyardalaska.
                      Last edited by AKDave; 05-30-2014, 11:46 PM.

Comment

• New image for business

I'm back again just letting everyone know that I recently changed my business name. It is now True Acres Landscape & Lawn. Just picked up a new Echo trimmer and a pair of Black and Decker primers. Lately, I have been trying to get into patching lawns and over seeding. I wish I had a aerator so I could profit and market more effectively.....What are you Guy's thoughts? Oh i almost forgot, check out my website at http://www.trueacres.weebly.com

trueacreslawncare@gmail.com

Comment

• What made you decide to change your business name?

As far as aerators go, why not get a bunch of aeration jobs lined up in one day and rent an aerator? It might be the most cost effective method.

Comment

• hello everyone

hello gopherhaul community,

im just getting started in the lawn & landscape industry.

more treads & posts with questions to follow !

thanks for having me on board.

Comment

• Hi everyone
                              New to posting in the forum. Been in business several years but can always learn more. This site has great tips

Comment

• New user. Big son's lawncare

Been in business 3 years part time work 10 yards all residential. Love the work and money not bad yards are priced from 35 - 60 all can be down within hour 5 are in same neighborhood. I use Honda hrc216 Toro personal pace Husqvarna trimmer Sthil blower. Troybilt bronco 42 inch deck 2001 model with 195 hours.

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X