This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welcome to our forum!

That is a great story on how you got started! Keep us posted on your growth!
    - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
    Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

• New to site

Hey everybody. I have been impressed with all of the information I have found on this site. I operate a small lawn care service in north alabama. Currently have 28 accounts and looking to add 10-15 more this summer. Just bought a new mower that I LOVE... Exmark vantage 48".

Comment

• Welcome to our forum!

What kinds of marketing are you doing to attract new customers?
        - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!

Comment

• Hello everyone my name is Devorick and the name of my company is Ricks Lawn service. I have been doing residential properties off and on for about 2 years. I started by just cutting peoples lawn that I knew, and thats when I decided to start my own business. Due to being full time active duty Army here at fort bragg, I can only conduct business on the weekends. I currently have only a push mower, The black and decker 3 in one kit, 2 electrical hedge trimmers, and one fuel can, and a couple of hand tools. I am working on trying to get a zero turn, and a trailer so I can exspand my business. Any marketing tools, and business organization tools you guys might have would be greatly appreciated..

trueacreslawncare@gmail.com

Comment

• Welcome Devorick,

Any marketing tools, and business organization tools you guys might have would be greatly appreciated.
            I'd suggest keep reading and asking questions as you go.

Comment

• New old timer

Hi all. Stumbled on this forum looking for turf top dressing wisdom and insights.
              Any way - I have been around since brass Rainbird 1800 series heads were the best you could get. Spent 28 years in my own business landscape/irrigation. sold out and went commercial. One of the largest COs in the country. Burned out there and now manage a small irrigation staff for small father/sons company. Looking to restart the res end of it on my own with added features like - irrigation re-design and top dressing. I am just totally fed up with everything being the irrigators fault.
              I do think the posts here are hilarious and honest.

Comment

• Welcome to our forum!

So many of the forum members strive to reach such heights and here you reached them.

Can you share with us some of your insights as to why you sold out when you did? Also, tell us a little about going through that burned out phase and if there is anything you feel you could have done differently to prevent it from happening?

Comment

• Burned out

I sold because I really couldn't stand to see another residential complainer. I think the main reason was that I didn't take any time off for myself. The important thing to remember is to relax a little. My season went from April 1st till October 30th. It was pretty much 6 days a week and 14 hours a day. Yes I made an excellent income, but never relaxed during that season. Also as they say - the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. I thought commercial would be less contact and less complaining. WRONG! Now I am doing residential irrigation upgrades on the side and loving it. It is pretty easy. I have found that the personal contact with the customer is the most important thing. If you can explain why and what you did face to face you life is pretty easy. You don't get that in a commercial setting. I'll post some thoughts on compressors in a bit.

Comment

• Hello Everyone

We are Amazing Landscapes by Manuel based in Tracy, CA.

We started this business for a few reasons, one being that we have small children and we needed some flexibility in scheduling as well as wanted one parent to be close to home (I work also as a nurse 1 1/2 hours away 12 hrs a day 3 days a week). In addition my husband had worked for a large commercial company for many years doing landscape construction and so he already had the knowledge and skill to do the work.

Now that the business is officially up and running we have the daunting task of building cliental. This summer has proven to be helpful with building our client list but we are not nearly close to target goals.

The most frustrating part that we have found is that there are many people out there calling themselves landscapers, who charge dirt cheap and do a horrible job, sometimes even damaging property of others. It is sad the way they take advantage of these clients but also makes it rough as people then think that we are overcharging or distrust that we will do a good job because they had been burned by so many in the past.

On the upside my husband does quality work and anyone who sees his work is impressed, so once given the opportunity to prove that he is worth the money, clients are never disappointed.

Anyways that's the opening chapter of our story. I am looking forward to watching this business grow as I know it has great potential. I also look forward to any ideas on marketing, billing, invoices etc. As I've just been winging that side of the business so far.

Comment

• Edging question

Steve, I have a question I want to post about edging.
                      Where can I post question?
                      Thank You in advance.

Also your site is extremely helpful!

Comment

• I sold because I really couldn't stand to see another residential complainer.
                        Did that feeling change when you no longer owned the business but were working for someone else or was it always a problem to deal with?

Steve, I have a question I want to post about edging.
                        Where can I post question?
                        Why not post it here, http://www.gopherforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27

Amazing Landscapes by Manuel
                        Welcome! I look forwards to seeing your growth happen

Comment

• D. S. Lawn Care

Hello,

I am the owner of D. S. Lawn Care. Just wanted to stop by and say hello.

Comment

• Hi there from South Carolina

Comment

• Howdy

Great forum Steve. Been in the lawn care biz since 1990. Just enjoy the work.

Comment

• too big too quick?

I have been giving bids on several commercial accounts.management company has total of 60+ properties. In time maybe i could handle work load but just starting out ,thinking its to much for my three person crew.I've prayed things would turn around and he is listening.Thanks to be The.. have a great day and stay cool as best you can drink plenty. Looking to buy another zero and another back pack anyone with any ideas on where to pick it up.

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X