This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Delaware!
    I've been in business 23 years-started part time,went full time a few years later. I service mainly residential properties.
    I enjoy working outdoors,and love being my own boss!
    In my spare time,I'm a volunteer firefighter.

Comment

• Got my LLC, my business cards, my truck magnets and I'm starting out door-to-door today. Wish me luck!
      Best of luck! Keep us updated on how it all goes!

I've been in business 23 years-started part time,went full time a few years later. I service mainly residential properties.
      WOW why after 23 year? Did you ever want to do it full time in the past or was it just the right time when you did it?
      - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
      Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

• Serious this year

Since 2004, I have worked for a buddy of mine's landscaping company. After a few years, the company fell under. Last year, I accepted a job cutting a neighbors grass to help her out and I fell back into the love of working in the yard.

I launched my "Landscaping Business" with a 21" cheap mower from Home Depot and an electric trimmer and blower. I was able to get a hand-me-down gas trimmer and blower from my father-in-law, a 10ft trailer and a 72" Dixie Chopper that his Property Management Company owns (commercial building management) and began advertising on craigslist.com. Last year, I brought in approx. 20 residential customers, 12 of them being grass only. I offered services ranging from lawn care to tree trimming to mulch and leaf removal to hardscaping. I added, aeration and overseeding at the end of last year. During the winter, I bought my own 36" Scag walk behind to finally get into peoples back yards.

This year, I am serious about expanding my customer base and focusing on specific tasks in the yard to manage. Since I am still unknown, I've created a new name and logo, developed flyers and handouts and focused strictly on grounds maintenance (grass, mulch, planting, leaves). I advertise on craigslist every day and have yet to bring in any new customers.

I am wondering if it is a good idea to go with a new image and what else could I do to help get my name out there.

Thanks

Nick
        Vinny's Landscaping (currently)

Comment

Hey, my name is Mike and for now I just service a couple yards from last year. 2012 was my start-up, just doing a few yards with a new Z-turn Toro 54" Titan with a bagger. Last year was a rough start up not knowing what to charge? I basically started doing yards in neighborhood for $20. Hopefully by getting information on forums like this I can quickly get into more profitable position. Marketing seems to be my biggest hurdle to date. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thank you, Mike.

Comment

• Hey, Everyone.

This will be my 1st full season. Made a lot of mistakes last year in quoting jobs. Hope to gain some knowledge from this and other forums like it. I had 1,000 postcards printed from Vista Print and as of today only 1 call. What a waste of $350.

Mike

Comment

• Since 2004, I have worked for a buddy of mine's landscaping company. After a few years, the company fell under.
              What is your view on why that happened? Do you feel there were any lessons you learned from it?

I am wondering if it is a good idea to go with a new image and what else could I do to help get my name out there.
              Sure why not! Create a new image and promote it with business cards to everyone you know. Then reach out to friends of friends etc.

This will be my 1st full season. Made a lot of mistakes last year in quoting jobs.
              What were some of the bidding lessons you learned from last year?
              - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!

Comment

• What is your view on why that happened? Do you feel there were any lessons you learned from it?

Sure why not! Create a new image and promote it with business cards to everyone you know. Then reach out to friends of friends etc.

What were some of the bidding lessons you learned from last year?
                Still trying to figure out on a consistent way to bid a yard based on that my yards are scattered all over, not in same neighborhoods.

Comment

• Try and experiment with the online lawn care calculators. They should help you get more consistent bids created.

Comment

• Best of luck! Keep us updated on how it all goes!

WOW why after 23 year? Did you ever want to do it full time in the past or was it just the right time when you did it?
                    When I started my business, I already had a full-time job ,with a
                    medical supply company,that was undergoing some corporate changes....
                    (downsizing).I left the medical company to pursue lawn care ,fulltime,and
                    have now been full time for about 20 years.It WAS the right time!

Comment

• Hello

Hello everyone,

Getting ready for the season here and they are talking 6+ inches of snow!

Comment

• Thanks for helping a newbie!

Thanks everyone on the forum for all the great info. I'm Michael and I have learned so much from reading the posts. I have been doing this 2 years now and still am very small but growing daily. Thanks again.

Comment

• Welcome to our forum! What are you doing to promote yourself this spring?

Comment

• New to all this..

My friend Ed and I are just starting up; both of us have building and grounds maintaince experience, apartments, hotel/motel and school districts. I was house painting for 15 years, now we want to concentrate on Power Washing.
                            I found your site while searching for power washing flyers. We are in Saint Petersburg, FL. Any help; pointers or extras would be appreciated.
                            J. R.

Comment

• Hi JR,

Read as much as you can here and on my blog at www.lawnchat.com. There is a lot of information that will help you grow.

Comment

• Hello

My name is Chris. I'm 32, from PA, and currently a stay at home dad. When we lost our long time baby sitter for our boys I had to quit work and become a stay at home dad. The cost of daycare for the 2 was 75% of my monthly income. My wife has her "dream job" so her quitting was not an option. I really enjoy getting to spend so much time them.

I recently decided to try and start a lawn care service after a few people asked if I could do some work for them in my spare time. My wife and I got to talking and decided maybe this would be a good way to get some extra income coming in and also a chance for me to get out of the house. I have already got several quotes for general liability insurance. I also have the tools to at least get me started. A truck, riding mower, push mower, and string trimmer. As well as tools such as rakes, shovels, etc.

I am having trouble picking marketing items. I am trying to design a flyer but I am so picky I'm holding things up. I want to hurry up and get started since I am already starting late (it's the end of April). I hope this site can help me get the business started as well as help me be successful. I will be doing a lot of searching on the site to find answers to the many questions I have but if anyone has some words of advice, encouragement, or tips in general feel free to PM me. I am looking forward to my new business venture and hope that I will soon be helping people like me on this site so I can give a little back.

Comment

Working...
                                X