X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welcome to our forum!

I look forwards to hearing your update!
    - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
    Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

• hello

i would like to say hello i am just starting out in the lawn biz and have found that there is a wealth of info on this forum. thank you all for the advise and i look forward to learning from you as hopefully you from me. my company is based in florida and i am excited to learn a new biz. i currently own my own painting company and looking to expand my income thru this new biz. i just started a web page so f anyone has any ideas please let me know. thanks and God bless you and your company
      chris

Comment

• It has helped out with getting ideas for initial advertising as far as flyers and templates with different ideas. And some of the most helpful would be the encouragement I have gained from hearing how being diligent and staying at it does pay off. It helps what now seems to be discouraging at times and finding out others went thru the same and the hard worked payed off.

Some ideas of not just offering lawn care and mulching, taking initiative to specialize in certain areas. .... just gaining alot of good solid ideas from very seasoned guys on here is helping me vision the endless possibilities.

Comment

• Getting Started in Oklahoma

Hello everyone! I have been using the forum/blog for a few weeks, and I thought I'd go ahead and say hi.

I just recently found myself out of work in banking right before they closed the branch I worked at down. Fortunately, I sort of saw this coming and was prepared to start mowing lawns on the side anyway. With the full-time job gone, and not really being motivated to spend 8 hours a day filling out applications for jobs I don't want to work anyhow, I decided to invest my time in something that could generate immediate cash.

Having a truck and a weed-eater already, I simply bought a mower and was in business. I've not had a whole lot of business just yet, I think partially because of the drought in Oklahoma - nobody's grass is growing! So far I have done several one-time jobs, and I have my first season-long customer. The equipment is about halfway paid for, so if I can get a few more customers I'll be in the black very soon.

The forum and blog has been a great help in getting me started, thanks to everyone for your participation!

Comment

• Welcome to our forum!

How have you liked/disliked running your own business now as compared to working at a bank?

What have you liked or disliked about it so far?
            - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!

Comment

• Well, running your own business has a much greater sense of pride to it as compared to working for someone else. Even though I hardly have much of a customer base yet, I feel energized to keep getting out there and putting out my fliers.

Yesterday it was raining for quite a while, so I spent some time reading a book about starting a business, keeping my books up to date, and writing down some goals I have for the company.

As for the dislike, I suppose the only major thing I can think of would be timing. I would have liked to have had more money saved up before launching, and would totally recommend anyone considering a venture like this to have 6 months CASH saved up for living expenses. You never know what kind of "emergency" could come up, but it will be much less of an emergency if you have a plan in place.

Comment

• New to the Businsess

Hi everyone,

I'm new here. I found you through a web search. I'm looking to start up a small lawn care business. I'm not to prepared to do this full time so just plan on getting this going on the nights and weekends. My goals for this season is to be able to pay for my equipment and upgrade my vehicle and trailer. I am just starting out with a 21" mower, a backpack blower, and a trimmer.

In my free time I will surely be trolling these boards for all the tips, tricks and general info I can get to help my learning curve along.

Thank you

Comment

• Hello everyone,

I have been mowing lawns for 4 years (part-time). This year I'm looking to expand my cliental and offer more services. In hopes of someday doing it full-time.

I have started small and put together nice equipment as I have went along. Paying for it as I go so I'm not in debt. I would like to upgrade my trailer this year.

I'm glad I have found this site for its wealth of information. Giving me a lot of ideas.

I will be searching these forums a lot like Wolf41.

Thank you all!!!

Comment

• Hello! I'm not in the landscaping business (yet). I have been a full-time electrician for fifteen years now. My first job as a kid was mowing lawns for my family members (like many of us). For the first few years out of high school, I worked in small engine and lawn mower repair. That job didn't pay very well, and eventually I got accepted into our local electrical apprenticeship. Being an electrician was, and still is, a great way to make a good living working for someone else. I've always liked mowing and working with power equipment, but always thought I couldn't make a living at it. It never occurred to me to work for myself.

Now it's fifteen years later, and I am much more open-minded than I used to be (I'm 38 now). I live in a small town where I have a 30'x40' shed and 1-acre lot. My wife and I have tried to enjoy landscaping as a hobby, but that only goes so far. In recent years I have aquired a Lawnboy walk-behind mower, a 50" Toro residential ZTR mower, a White walk-behind with a bagger, a Stihl weed trimmer, a Bobcat CT230 tractor with a front end loader, and a 18' car hauler trailer. I would like to start mowing part-time and eventually build up a business. The tough part would be building up the accounts while working full time as an electrician, as I wouldn't want to walk away from a $74,000 a year job prematurely. Right now I have a 2-year old and my wife has been a stay-at-home for the last 2 years. Luckily she is a farm girl who likes to mow, is willing to help me out, and will be ready to transition back to work next spring.

The equipment I have is all paid for, but I don't have money in the bank, so I need to start fairly small. The way I see it, my challenge early on will be to get customers and later, if I'm successful, transitioning from my current job to full time landscaping. I think I will have to handle expansion carefully. I will have lots of questions I hope to find answers to on this forum. Thanks for listening!

Comment

• just saying hi

hello from mass, the rain is killing me!!!!
                      http://villalandscapes.beep.com/

Comment

• Been mowin' all my life, now I need to get paid for it!

My company name is Grocott's Cutting Edge and I'm in Orland, CA. I've been cutting lawns for money since Sept. '10. I'm enjoying the help I find in these forums and look forward to paying it back when I can.

Comment

• The equipment I have is all paid for, but I don't have money in the bank, so I need to start fairly small. The way I see it, my challenge early on will be to get customers and later, if I'm successful, transitioning from my current job to full time landscaping. I think I will have to handle expansion carefully. I will have lots of questions I hope to find answers to on this forum. Thanks for listening!
                          What have you been doing so far to market yourself and attract new customers?

Comment

• Nothing yet. I have moved rock and dirt for a couple of people I already know, but I have'nt done any advertising yet. My primary purpose for the equipment I have accumulated is for personal use, with the idea that I could eventually make some money with it. Now I definitely want to make some money, but I need to do more research about how much to charge, insurance, regulations, etc. before I am comfortable putting myself out there. I hope to gain knowledge on this by reading books and chatting on this forum.

Comment

• market myself?

well my business is doing very well.i have about 2 or 3 jobs a week now mostly mulch and clean ups i have been in business about 2 months.i have my website and i rely on Craigslist.thats it .oh and i also have 3 mowing accounts as of today..iam very happy......
                              http://villalandscapes.beep.com/

Comment

• Bad Dog Lawns

Hi yall,
                                My name is Billy. I started "Bad Dog Lawns" last winter by selling firewood. I have read a few books about the lawn service including one by Steve. While this is a part time job (3 days a week) I am actually finding enough customers to stay busy, even in this economy. I have one commericial client, so far. It is a church. I have found that no matter how dirty I get or how sore I am when I come home, that I love what I am doing. In this short time that I have been doing lawns, I have had more job satisfaction than in my full time job in years. I think that is why I am finding customers is because of my attitude. I live in rural Georgia. I went from door to door handing out fliers, however this was to not much avail. I donated a couple of months of services to different organizations and that is where my business really picked-up. It has grown mostly by word of mouth. I have also been adding a few extra services for free, just to stand out among my competition. I wished that I had started this years ago.

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X