X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just starting out

Hi to everyone on the forum ...

My name is Robert and I'm just starting my lawn care business in Illinois
    i have always been interested in owning my own lawn care business but never really had the time to get started. After working for several years at a state funded facility the state decided they were no longer going to fund our facility and began implementing deep cuts thus, kick starting what i hope to be a long and successful buisness for me and my family. this is one of the better and most informative sites online and i'm glad i found you guys. thanks to steve and all the forum members i have gained a ton of knowledge since finding this forum.

Comment

• Hi Robert,

Welcome to our forum!

What are some of your plans now that you are getting your business up and running?
      - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
      Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

• New to the site.

I own a small lawn care company in Georgia. I've been in business officially since last year, but have been cutting lawns for quite some time. I'm looking to expand and learn a lot, and this site is very informative. I look forward to the advice and knowledge to gain from here. I am currently running a one man gig with a 12 foot trailer with landscape box. I have a Toro 42" zero turn, Stihl Br600 backpack blower, Stihl commercial weedeater, a 22" murray pushmower, and of course your normal hand tools. I currently have 7 full time accounts that I was able to roll over from last year, but I'm looking to add a good bit to that this year I hope. I can handle somewhere around 25-30 and am looking for some ideas to help me get there. Any input would be helpful.

Comment

• I own a small lawn care company in Georgia. I've been in business officially since last year, but have been cutting lawns for quite some time. I'm looking to expand and learn a lot, and this site is very informative. I look forward to the advice and knowledge to gain from here. I am currently running a one man gig with a 12 foot trailer with landscape box. I have a Toro 42" zero turn, Stihl Br600 backpack blower, Stihl commercial weedeater, a 22" murray pushmower, and of course your normal hand tools. I currently have 7 full time accounts that I was able to roll over from last year, but I'm looking to add a good bit to that this year I hope. I can handle somewhere around 25-30 and am looking for some ideas to help me get there. Any input would be helpful.
          I have only been doing this a couple of years so I am no expert. Last year we ended the season with about 70 regular customers. I wanted to get a few new customers and exchange some bad customers this year. I would never have believed postcard would work. I used print shop and designed a postcard and used blank sheets of postcard stock from an office supply store to print my own post cards on a laser printer. My wife mailed postcards to 78 homes in one subdivision the last week of February and I immediately got 6 new customers plus several garden jobs. Last week she mailed 100 cards in another upscale subdivision and I have gotten 4 new customers. I have had more calls than that but of course some owners have had cheaper prices from budget cutters. I figure the cards are costing us about 36 cents to make and mail. We get the address and names from our local property tax assessors web site. I have also made a postcard that I send to any realtor I see with a sign up on a house.
          Attached Files

Comment

• That is fantastic! Can you imagine how many more customers you would get if you created seasonal postcards that you mailed out at different times of the year?
            - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!

Comment

• That is fantastic! Can you imagine how many more customers you would get if you created seasonal postcards that you mailed out at different times of the year?
              I am with you. We are working on some designs now for each season and I will have them printed professionaly. Christmas decoration installation and removal. Fall clean up. Vegetable garden installation. I am getting ready to take the test for a Louisiana horticultural license because we are getting so many calls for large landscape jobs. Any other ideas?

Comment

• I think you are on top of things. As you implement all this marketing, I think you will find yourself busier and busier!

Comment

• Great Advice

I have only been doing this a couple of years so I am no expert. Last year we ended the season with about 70 regular customers. I wanted to get a few new customers and exchange some bad customers this year. I would never have believed postcard would work. I used print shop and designed a postcard and used blank sheets of postcard stock from an office supply store to print my own post cards on a laser printer. My wife mailed postcards to 78 homes in one subdivision the last week of February and I immediately got 6 new customers plus several garden jobs. Last week she mailed 100 cards in another upscale subdivision and I have gotten 4 new customers. I have had more calls than that but of course some owners have had cheaper prices from budget cutters. I figure the cards are costing us about 36 cents to make and mail. We get the address and names from our local property tax assessors web site. I have also made a postcard that I send to any realtor I see with a sign up on a house.
                  Great Advice...I'm going to give that a trial run in a few subdivisions around here and see how it turns out for me. Local tax assessors website??? Im not positive how to find that but I can give it my best shot! Also, hopefully if I try it with some Realtors it might help me, because I have been completely unsuccessful with them.

Comment

• Found Tax Assessor Website

I found the website for the Tax Assessor in my home town. I never knew that type of info was available online. Thank you for bringing it to my attention, I am definitely going to use it to my advantage over the next few weeks.

Comment

• Hello

Actually, I am a student in a Lawnscape Management curriculum at Southwest Tennessee Community College.

We are in a Business course and I had to make a presentation on How to get customer for a small lawn service.

I have found your books and your forum services invaluable. As my son and I develop our business, I will be coming back to check out your software.

I am a retiring college professor who has taught engineering for 39 years and am really looking forward to working with my son on his new endeavor.

Thanks for all of the advice.

Comment

• Hello From Oregon

ok so i seen the say hello figure i would use it and introduce my self. My name is Brad. I own PhiveStar Lawn Care in corvallis Oregon.. What got me started in the lawn care business was i have been mowing lawns since i was about 12 years old.So i decided since i love doing lawn care why not make a buisness of it..Like Steve says if you dont start your buisiness this year. you will be at least one year older when you do. i believe that lol. Any way i wanted to introduce my self to the forum and say my hello to you all.

Comment

• Welcome to our forum Brad!

Comment

• New to site, first year for lawn care!!!!

Hello, I own a small business in PA. This is our first 'official year' for lawn care. Do winter time snow removal / plowing also. Just starting out and trying to keep it simple with some spring clean up, mulching, mowing. Work with a company who provides the lawn chemical programs for fertilizaiton and weed control. Very very slow start to gaining customer base. I am trying to stay true and now 'low ball' the industry. I have been lurking around this forum for some time, I am absolutely impressed and thank full for the subjects and the in depth detail on the forums. Looking forward to learning more, gaining knowledge and becoming well established.

Comment

• Welcome to our forum!

What kind of issues do you feel the forum has helped you with the most and what other topics are you looking to expand your knowledge on?

Comment

• Hi there

I am helping my teenage son get a summer business started. This has been a great resource for flier ideas to help him. Now we will be back to check out how to do estimates and I am sure he will be on here to chat with others about questions he will run into. He has already been maintaining mowers for a few years and taking care of a few yards, but now he is getting serious.

Thanks and we will spread the word!

Comment

Working...
                                X