Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Dad has always been nit-picky....well.....anal about his lawn & tools & shop my whole life.
    I'd love to see some pictures of your shop or trailer! I bet things are kept neat!

I learned that the person interacting with the customer in the field is not the best person to collect the money. I had credit managers and never asked the salesman to collect. Good cop, bad cop. When you are on a job trying to make the customer happy you are not in the best position to collect, the wife calling for money is much better
    That is genius! So true! It's amazing how this just never comes up on the forum but now that you brought it to light, I hope others consider this as well!
    - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
    Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

• Hello everyone my name is Rich. I don't have my business yet but im hoping to have it up and running by the summer. I live in New Mexico in a small town called Rio Rancho. The town is growing fast and i hope people will need my services. The climate is very dry so I think ill get more jobs spreading gravel and clearing weeds than anything else will see I guess. Anyways wish me luck!!!
      hey rich i do a lot of xeriscaping here in Souther California right now before you start your business you should start some accounts with suppliers this will be wise since by the time you start getting supplies you will know the suppliers and they might give you bigger deals, thats what i did and it worked great!

try talking to rock suppliers and a place that sells mulch and gravel so you can get good deals when you start getting jobs and you can basically buy the gravel cheap and give it to the client at retail price and still make a profit

Comment

• twst !@# twst

Guys, be sure to join your states directory "social group"!
        Last edited by LawnMoore; 02-25-2011, 09:06 PM.
        (352)682-3094 Suwannee River, Florida 32680

Visit my site, http://www.lawnmoore.com, Thanks!

Comment

• hey rich i do a lot of xeriscaping here in Souther California right now before you start your business you should start some accounts with suppliers this will be wise since by the time you start getting supplies you will know the suppliers and they might give you bigger deals, thats what i did and it worked great!

try talking to rock suppliers and a place that sells mulch and gravel so you can get good deals when you start getting jobs and you can basically buy the gravel cheap and give it to the client at retail price and still make a profit
          so cruz do you mean kinda go around to the suppliers and just kinda let them know i have a landscaping company and ask them what kinda deals that they can give me if i buy from them. thanks for the advise sounds like a plan. Hows it going in California is business picking up? what kind of marketing do you feel works best?

Comment

• twst !@# twst

Guys, be sure to join your states directory "social group"!
            i joined already thanks for creating it!

Comment

• so cruz do you mean kinda go around to the suppliers and just kinda let them know i have a landscaping company and ask them what kinda deals that they can give me if i buy from them. thanks for the advise sounds like a plan. Hows it going in California is business picking up? what kind of marketing do you feel works best?
              what i did when i knew i was going to get into the business, and i am still doing this, i would look around my area and search what landscape suppliers where around, there are 4 of them in my area. I would call them and ask them this simple question. "If i created an account with you what type of discount would you offer me". they usually ask you simple questions such as how long you been in business and other questions like taht i would lie and say i was in business for a few years already and i was looking for a supplier closer to me. They usually want your business so they either start you at about 10-15% discount but if you are lucky youll find bigger discounts. if they say they don't give you a discount unless you are a licensed contractor and you don't ahve a license don't bother with them they lose your business.
              do this for everything else not only rocks and gravel i do it for everything and i usually get at least 10-15% off my purchases, Nurseries love us because we buy hundreds to thousands of dollars every couple of months and they kick in with bigger discounts.

California warms up sooner than most places so it almost never dies off specially Southern California, so business is great here, right now the rain keeps me at my house but this is the time i invest in learning and connecting with my clients.

marketing i use craigslist! which is where i get lots of calls from every week, Flyers are also great but i need to walk a lot, i pass out flyers around the area i service after i am done usually 2-3 hrs daily and a couple of free websites to build my Internet presence before i have the money to buy a decent site haha..

sorry i made it so long hope its useful

Comment

Hello everyone from Pa.
                I started my business about 5-6 years ago. I was doing a lot. Pressure washing, Lawn care, Snow removal, and furniture moving. Without reliable help (i.e. call outs or dont answer cell phones) all of that became VERY stressful. So I've decided for 2011 to limit my services to lawn maintenence and snow removal. Looking forward to gaining a lot of info from those that have come before me to become a better businessman. Thanks in advance.

Troy

Comment

• Hi Troy,

Welcome to our forum!

How did you get involved with offering such a variety of services? Was it just a matter of listening to the customer and fulfilling their needs?

As you cut back on offering those services, are you concerned you won't find the same amount of income? If that might be a problem, how will you combat that?
                  - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!

Comment

• Hello Guys

Hello guys my name is Donald i am 38 . What got me started is i had thought about it for a long time and thought could i get jobs ,make any money .
                    , Things like that i worked at a cabinet door shop for 16 years when the economy slowed .
                    It was either me or the bosses daughter guess who won .
                    I got a job at pizza hut delivering part time then went full time mt mower was shot .
                    I told my boss she said i could start with the pizza hut yard told the wife if i could make enough to buy a new lawn mower would be happy got another yard and another i didnt even make business cards didn't think i would get much work . I dont have a lto of yards but i ordered cards from vista print the other day looking into the door hangers , here all the posts and calculators i will take any advice i found the videos on you tube Im in lawn care heaven here . this place is exactly what i have been looking for

Comment

• Well, a lot of times people would see me my truck and ask what all do I do. The idea of making a fast dollar excited me as well. But as time went on I couldnt keep up with the demand or the expectations of my customers. So I scaled back the services that were the most labor intensive. I own now a 97 F250 a scag walk behind, two push mowers, 2-8050 red max leaf blowers and red max weed wacker. As far the snow side of things right now its two 24" cut snowblowers. Trying to save for a meyers setup but a challenging with a full time job and family if you what I mean. Not concerned with the loss of income. I just want to excel as much as I can in these two areas. I believe I was spreading myself too THIN. Thanks for the reply

Troy

Comment

• New to site!

[B]Hi all from TurfSurfers Lawncare & Lanscaping .
                        Few years ago had 30+ customers under my name , hurt my back well im back new enclosed trailer,exmark lazer-x well all new equipment. starting out this time with a more stand out name. Need marketing tips will check forums. This not just a job its what I like to do..... Tim

Comment

• The idea of making a fast dollar excited me as well. But as time went on I couldnt keep up with the demand or the expectations of my customers. So I scaled back the services that were the most labor intensive.
                          What did you scale back on? I'd love to hear more on how the customers expectations had increased over time and how that effected you.

Also what services did you get more into?

Comment

• New Guy

Hi I'm Frank from DreamScape Lawn Care,

I just started my first season of lawn service...This site has been very helpfull and will always be open for suggestions..Thanks again and wish all of you a productive year ....

Comment

• Re-introduction

Hello all, been away from the site for far to long. I thought I would reintroduce myself and, get back to the swing of things. Looking very forward to reading all the great information this site has to offer. See ya's around!
                              http://www.lawnenforcing.com

sigpic

contact@lawnenforcing.com

Comment

• Oh that business card looks great!

What kind of changes have been going on since the last time you have been on? What business lessons do you feel you have learned or how have you grown?

Comment

Working...
                                X