Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Adam, you may need nothing more than some liability insurance. If you go with say Adam Harper Lawn Care and have the checks made out to you, you may not have to register the business name because you are using your name. But it never hurts to register the name with your local county court house.

What are some of your upcoming plans to promote your business now?
    Steve

Going to advertise on craigslist,newspaper, try flyers etc
    Going to learn more on this site its awesome

Thanks

Comment

• 28 years old from Arkansas. Starting lawn care business as a side job to pad my original salary. Not looking to take on more than 15-20 accounts. Already have three commercial and 2 residential. Just wanted to say, Hi. So anyways. About me. One wife...no girlfriends....lol....one beautiful daughter that will be three in May of this year. I will be 29 years old in a week and a half. Wife is a mortgage lender. Daughter is a domestic rugrat. Free time is spent buying and selling just about anything. Like to browse craigslist, clssifieds of any kind trying to find the next bargain. Lake house in Mountain Home, Ar is a blessed retreat for our family. Wish there was more time for it.

Comment

• Hello,
        I am 57 years old and live just north of New Orleans. Sorry I am just getting around to introducing myself but up until just a couple of weeks ago I was still mowin' and blowin' and in mid-December we sold our home and only had two weeks to find a place and move. Thank God we are out of that $5,000 a month house note. I have been married 38 years and have six children; three adults in their 30's and three young daughters ages 8, 6 and 3 who we adopted from China over the last 8 years. Over the last 38 years I have started several businesses which became successful. The first was a building material company which grew to 200 employees which I sold to the employess in 2000. The last was a home building company which built 44 houses in 2007 and by the end of 2008 almost broke us.

I got into the lawn care business in the spring of 2009 by accident. I own a small business park with 9 properties. I was paying my nephew, who has 4 employees and cuts 251 lawns, to maintain my properties but when the economy finally caught up with us and I started loosing tenants I had to start maintaining these properties myself due to cash flow. One day when I was edging and blowing off one of the parking lots an older gentleman stopped and asked if I would give him a price to take care of his 2 acre home near by. I went the next day with my equipment, gave him a price and did the job while I was there. Before the day was over I had done his four neighbors also. By the fall of 2009 I had 41 yards and by fall of last year I had 71 yards. Even though most are bi-weekly it is still quite a load by myself. This year I am doing some advertising so I can consolidate and cull the scttered jobs and the pain in the necks.

I do not really have any hobbies. I love to fish but all of my time is spent with my daughters or working. We are finally getting back on our feet financially. I really do love working outside. It is a great job. I have really enjoyed this site. Keep safe. It is going to be an awsome year!
        Thanks

Comment

• B & B Lawn Beautification, been in business 2 yrs, mostly cut grass, but do some light landscape and tree work. Have roughly 60 mowing accts, all residential, do most of the work myself but I'll hire a helper thru the spring. I'd like to pick up some business accts and hire somebody full-time.

Comment

• . Over the last 38 years I have started several businesses which became successful. The first was a building material company which grew to 200 employees which I sold to the employess in 2000. The last was a home building company which built 44 houses in 2007 and by the end of 2008 almost broke us.
            Over those years and with all your experience, what business lessons do you feel most stand out that you could pass on to others just getting started? Any specific do's or dont's that you think new business owners should know?
            - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
            Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

• Just registered my business with the Tax and Revenue Department does this mean i can start doing business?

Comment

• Over those years and with all your experience, what business lessons do you feel most stand out that you could pass on to others just getting started? Any specific do's or dont's that you think new business owners should know?
                Steve,
                You know that advice is worth what you pay for it, not much. Most knowledge I have acquired has been industry specific-construction and real estate development. When I have had the chance to mentor younger businessmen that have met with me the advice has been very basic.

Have a written business plan. A real plan!
                1. What is your goal. To grow a business or just get by until something comes along?
                2. What is your purpose? This is a little different that a goal.
                3. Have very specific benchmarks. Number of clients, gross sales, net profits, and in what time frame.
                4. What point will make you successful? How will you keep yourself motivated after that point?

This is basic advice you will get from most business managers.

The biggest things I have learned from mistakes I made is to [B]collect you money[B]. In 1988 I had a building material company doing $15 million a year in sales and that year we wrote off $1.2 million in bad debt. It almost broke us and it took 6 years to become viable again. In 2005 when Katrina hit a closet remodeling company I had wrote off $90,000.00 from customers that disappered. Collect your money!

Just because financing is available does not mean you need to use it. Credit card companies and banks are in the business of selling debt. That is how they make money. Just because you have a credit card you do not need to use it. Just because a bank is willing to finance a development does not mean it is the best thing to do. Just because a bank is willing to finance 15 houses does not mean it is the right thing to do. Just because a bank is willing to lend you money for new equipment and expansion does not mean you should.

The best thing I have learned is to listen. Just because you are soaring high does not mean you(me) know everything. You do not. The worst habit I had was to be preparing a response to someone before they were near finished speaking. You do not need to heed all advice but if you are taking the time to talk with someone at least hear them. In 2000 we started an insulation contracting business. My outside sales team was setting the world on fire. The owner of the largest insulation company in the area stopped by one day for a talk. He told me our prices were too low. I had finished deciding what I was going to say long before he finished talking. Months later when we finished really crunching the numbers, he had been right. Listening to him could have made us alot more money. Listening is a skill.

This site is a tremendous source of education. I thought anyone could cut grass. Right? I did not know anything about thatching, pruning, fertilizing, lawn equipment, etc. I would not have thought of getting realtor emails from magazines if I had not read it on this site. I have asked my 27 year old nephew for business advice many times in the last two years, and I listen. I thought he was a kid who would out grow mowing lawns. He is one of the most successful people I know. Who knew.

Recently I read someone's comments on here about finally finding out he had ADD. I really believe I have ADD also and this business is perfect. You can probably tell by the way I write. Anyway if any of this interest you let me know.

Thanks.

Comment

• Just registered my business with the Tax and Revenue Department does this mean i can start doing business?
                  Hi Rich, that and insurance and you should be all set to go.

The biggest things I have learned from mistakes I made is to collect you money.
                  What is your view on the best ways to set things up to do this? How do you feel you did this before and how would you do it now?

Recently I read someone's comments on here about finally finding out he had ADD. I really believe I have ADD also and this business is perfect.
                  What is your view on how that has effected your business and what should people who have a.d.d. do to combat it when it comes to business?
                  - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!

Comment

• Hello El Gringo , Here

I am only just starting out in the business , here in California

Comment

• I am only just starting out in the business , here in California
                      Perfect slogan for you as my wife wanted me to use this one for our business, "Let this gringo make your green grow". The name of my company is Growing Green so it was perfect for us.

Matt

Comment

• Yeah

I like it that is a good one .

on my card it says , Don't be coy call the white boy!

Comment

• Welcome ElGringo,

What was your inspiration for your business name and motto?

How do you feel it has been working out for you thus far?

Comment

• Business Name Inspiration

It's a funny story how I got the name for my business. My Dad has always been nit-picky....well.....anal about his lawn & tools & shop my whole life. He measured the height of the grass, he moved rocks & fountains around a number of times before he was satisfied. He would get up in the middle of the night to make sure he put his tools back where they belong. Heck! He even waxed his lawnmower! When I would bring friends over from college, I would tease him & call him "The Yard Architect"! He took it in stride....till now that I have named my business after him. Now he's busting with pride! My wife says that I'm a chip off the old block. Guess I am a lot more detailed than most landscapers. I research online & at the home improvement stores and on this forum for the best way to service my customers and just the right type of plants they want, etc. I spend a lot of time washing my truck & tools. Throwing my tools on the ground is reason to fire a worker. I have to have everything organized. If I have to go back to someone's house to get my equipment or tools that a worker left behind, it comes out of his pay. I go back over each lawn I do at least 3 times before we leave. We do a lot of followup to make sure customers are pleased & give us feedback. I guess I am pretty nit-picky. . . just like Dear Old Dad!
                            The Yard Architect
                            Augusta, GA

Comment

• Hi Rich, that and insurance and you should be all set to go.

What is your view on the best ways to set things up to do this? How do you feel you did this before and how would you do it now?

What is your view on how that has effected your business and what should people who have a.d.d. do to combat it when it comes to business?
                              Steve,

There is no real secret to collecting money. You have to be diligent and persistent. First, you really need a decent accounting system. I use Gopher Lawn Care Software. I print invoices every night for the jobs scheduled the next day. If the owner is home, I collect. If not I leave the invoice. My wife looks through the schedule several days in advance and lets me know if a customer has not paid. She will call them to see if they wre unhappy with the service, just a polite opening. She will then ask that they have a check on site for the open balance and the new service when I arrive. If the check is not there I ride. I have not lost any customers yet but I am sure I will. When we had larger operations I learned that the person interacting with the customer in the field is not the best person to collect the money. I had credit managers and never asked the salesman to collect. Good cop, bad cop. When you are on a job trying to make the customer happy you are not in the best position to collect, the wife calling for money is much better. Quick story. A young man that had worked for me for 25 years as a truck driver started a lawn care company. Last fall he was in a head-on automobile wreck. The other driver was at fault and she was killed. His knee and ankle were shattered. In the hospital he asked me to contact his customers-about 40-and let them know what happened and asked if I could help cover for him so he would not lose his customers. I sad OK, where was his list of customers. He had no decent records. I had to ride around several neighborhoods with one of his helpers pointing out houses. I had to knock on doors, tell them the situation, tell them I would perform the same services for the same price until Floyd returned in the spring. I had to then ask what he did, when and how much. I asked them if they owed him money. Most said yes but they did not know the amount but paid something. We do not know how much money he did not collect. Decent records and accounting are important.

I do not know officialy that I have ADD. I have three adult children and three young children. One of my older children was diagnosed with add so we learned alot about it. I have read much about it because I think my six year old also has it. We have some testing scheduled. Or I have a compulsive/obsessive disorder, whatever. The problems were typical. I would start a business or project and about the time it took off I would get antsy and start something else. We were starting a house a week, large detailed house. I had a blast starting houses but I let too many drag on because finishing big houses is a pain. Fortunately I had hired good people that ket me from crashing and burning. The years I had to sit at a desk for ten hours a day were misery. I would have ten stacks on my desk to review and never get the the bottom of any. Drove my office manager nuts.

I have developed some habits that help.

1. I work from a detailed daily schedule. Because I have my entire day scheduled in 30 minute increments I have a much easier time not going off on tangents.

2. I have a completely clutter free desk. I only get out what I am going to work on.

3. I like to read but of course I read a number of books at a time. I review alot of documents for some mediation work I do involving some Katrina lawsuits. I use a Kindle. This has been a great device. Everything is always there when I need it. It has been an amazing tool.

4. I ahve a set bedtime. I use to stay up half the night bouncing from small project to the next and wake up exhausted. This has been an amazing change.

5. Gave up golf. I would go to the practice range vevery day but by the sixth hole of every round I add enough.

These all probably sound dumb but what I have had to do is manage my life.

Lawn care has been great. You move around all day long. Jobs are finished in short time. You are outdoors all day. When you finish you see what you have done. The money is really good.

What is your weather like? It has been in the mid-70's everyday for weeks and all of my customers think it is spring. We are getting really busy.

Comment

• Proud American White Boy

It is my way of trying to take back jobs in America. I just figured more and more Americans would rather hire an American , just had to figure out a way without offending anyone to much to let it be known that I am a true US born citizen and I am here to do there lawns by god, lol. Actually , I really don't care if it offends anyone. They don't care if we are offended and it is tough when they been undercharging and people are expecting such low ball prices. So anyhow , won't go on about all this or we will be here for all day. Just want it known I am an American and I am taking back whatever I can and hopefully it will work out.

Comment

Working...
                                X