Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How about the prices im charging? too high? too low? what are your thoughts?
    There are a bunch of variables that have to be taken into consideration to answer this. One of them being how competitive are you in your local area with other companies?

You also need to know your break even point and if you are making enough profit on each job. As your schedule fills up, you can experiment with raising your prices to see if the market will bear it. If it will, raise the prices for other customers and if they leave, fill them with higher paying customers.
    - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
    Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

• There are a bunch of variables that have to be taken into consideration to answer this. One of them being how competitive are you in your local area with other companies?

You also need to know your break even point and if you are making enough profit on each job. As your schedule fills up, you can experiment with raising your prices to see if the market will bear it. If it will, raise the prices for other customers and if they leave, fill them with higher paying customers.
      I have called several other companies and asked them what they charge for an acre of mowing. most said they have to see it and some have said $75 to $100. Usually, the businesses charging $75 are using riding lawn mowers. It takes them longer than myself using zero turns. I have offered free weed control also as an incentive on gaining clients. I really dont have much over head so i am making money. I guess im just answering my own questions here! ahha! I have used the price estimator on this site and its been pretty much right on with my estimates. I recently put in a bid on a 10 acre apt complex. its actually about 6 to 7 acres of mowing. i estimated this bid on time. i used the estimation calculator for 6 hours with 4 total workers. it came out to $1253.57 so thats what i sent for the bid as bi weekly and $1034.00 as a weekly bid. Before i used the estimation calc, i was only $5 to $10 off which gave me some confidence. That is an awesome tool and recommend it to all lawn businesses out there. Thanks for your help Steve...Im gonna experiment with the price raising on the smaller accounts this spring. I guess now would be a good time to send a notice in the mail about it! Thanks again!

Jacob Rodriguez
      Jacob Rodriguez
      A Cut Above Lawn Care
      acalawncaretx@gmail.com
      www.acalawncare.com

Comment

• Hello everyone my name is Rich. I don't have my business yet but im hoping to have it up and running by the summer. I live in New Mexico in a small town called Rio Rancho. The town is growing fast and i hope people will need my services. The climate is very dry so I think ill get more jobs spreading gravel and clearing weeds than anything else will see I guess. Anyways wish me luck!!!

Comment

• Welcome Rich!

You must live in a very pretty area. I looked up some pictures of it and found some really wild designed homes in your area like this one.

- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!

Comment

• Hi Simon,

Welcome to our forum!

You got a good amount of customers already! Could you scale up your word of mouth efforts to attract even more?
            Thanks very much.

I don't think word of mouth will ever stop. Have decided to blitz a local retirement area with leaflets and have bought a freephone number to help entice them in. Surprisingly its not to bad price wise....for UK , 1000 full A5 colour leaflets, designed and printed for 120.00 and the freephone number was 15.00 setup and 10.00 monthly + whatever fees I incur receiving calls to landline or mobile. Pre season I am hoping to increase lawn care by at least 15%, but we will see.

Comment

• Saying Hello!

Whats up every one glad to see your all still doing good. I myself have been doing great. this year my busines roughly doubled from 9 customers to about 17. this year I also purchased my first Zero turn. A Gravely 34z with only 185 hours on it.. paid 2k cash for it. I am now selling my Cub Cadet 46 inch cut, actually raffling it off this Super Bowl! Any ways Ive been meaning to post more pics And will when i have time.

as for my business, nothing pays off like doing the best you can. use your stick edger everywhere you can, blow everything aways and take pride in your work, the neighbors ARE watching you! I have found simple flyers to work the best. Ill upload copies of mine also

I have one thats pretty detailed and in color and 3 or 4 that are just black and white print. I take every chance I get to pass out flyers and business cards. And talk about what I do. Each year I start earlier and grow bigger. I am turning down big jobs and concentrating on residential yards as I can work them alone. Any how just wanted to say hi to everyone and Say how happy I am to finally get a zero.. I could have bought one along time ago, but wanted it to come from mow money! And it finally did! Next.... New truck.. I love my 88 Primered Ford but doesnt look to cool infront of them fancy houses!
              KDVandCO
              kdvandco@hotmail.com

Comment

• Hello !! I am nadman..

My son is really the one starting out...I had a landscape /chimney company from 1980 to 1999...I just joined to keep up to date.. Great place to be...i wish there was somethig like this when i first started out !!!

Comment

• Welcome to our forum nadman!

How has it been for you helping your son get into the business after you had been in it for many years?

Do any business lessons from your time of operation stand out that you could share with us?

Comment

• My first post

Hey my name is Joel Howes, I'm from Clinton Ontario Canada. I've been in business since 1995, started at the age of 17 right out of high school. I haven't really been all that aggressive at growing my business, always just let work come to me. I'm at the point now that i have a full time employee, and i have him working three days a week in the summer doing grass routes. Thank you gopher for making this easier! Then two days a week we go together on grass routes. The days he's by himself allows me to trim shrubs, hedges, flower bed maintenance, and whatever needs to be caught up on. Spring and fall cleanups we end up working together quite a bit. I'm starting to think about getting another employee to help alleviate the work load.
                    Equipment: 2000 Dodge 1 ton Cummins diesel with dump box
                    1993 Chev half ton
                    ExMark Navigator, and Lazer Z HP with QDS
                    Steiner 230 with 60" deck, rotary sweeper, bucket, core aerator
                    16' custom built trailer
                    Gravely walk behind sweeper, Ariens 32" snow blower
                    Echo blowers, wackers, hedge trimmers,
                    Stihl with wacker, sweeper, and hedge clipper attachments
                    Husqavarna chain saw
                    I'm always looking for ways to improve and be more efficient, suggestions are always welcome. My wife helps out in the office work. She came accross Gopher last winter and thought it would help out. We used it last season for the first time and i gotta say i love it and couldn't do without it! My next step now is to build a shop on my property, my 20' by 20' garage is not cutting it any more. That is what i'm working at planning right now, if anyone has any suggestions on shops i'm all ears.
                    Thats all i got for now, wife is calling.

Comment

• Welcome Rich!

You must live in a very pretty area. I looked up some pictures of it and found some really wild designed homes in your area like this one.

yeah Steve that house actually is not that far from where i live pretty wild. you see the land around it thats how most new houses yards are. water is a big issue here so the city pushes everyone to xeriscape there yards. Tough work but guys like me have it in there blood.

Comment

• the city pushes everyone to xeriscape there yards. Tough work but guys like me have it in there blood.
                        Are there services you could offer that work with xeriscaping? Maybe installs or maintenance?

Comment

• starting out

as i had mentioned, my son is starting out...but, i will be helping him...as i had to learn by trial and error..I was very lucky, in that my business was part-time...i was a produce manager for a large supermarket chain here in iowa , and had great business training. I knew about advertising, controlling labor etc....but the best business advice i ever received was from an old guy who worked for me..he told me; "remember nad..manage your business....don't let it manage you" He was right ...that is really the key to not getting burned out...The biggest thing that i have seen in my son starting out , is the same thing i did ..... he tries to get EVERY bid he has sent out...only thinking of sales and hustle...that is what business is all about..., but........ one must learn to "craft" their business...i remember many days...working at the store from 4 a.m. 'till noon, then sweeping chimneys or mowing 'till the very last rays of daylight were gone....only to get up and do it all over the next day(s)...I was getting more then burned out...and did not know how i was going to grow my business when i was already working myself to death...then it hit me...if these people are only keeping me on for price, then they really do not care if it is quality work...i prided myself on quality, and thought hey, if i raised my prices 50% and lost 50% of my customers...what would i really be out....same dollars, but more slots opened up and maybe some time for my wife and 4 little kids...While i do not advocate gouging someone....in this type of business, going with you or a competitor is the customer's choice...they already knew the kind of work i did so i let them make the choice for me...i did go up 50%.....and yup, i lost some customers....most were the ones i did not look forward to doing anyway...but after that , the ones that stayed were my real loyal customers...and that year was the first time i actually "had a life" after 5 years of running my own gig...also i made 500.00 more for the season, then i had ever any other year up to that year...and, now that my son is doing it ....many of my old customers and their kids are having him do their yards...
                          one thing i did when someone called me for a bid was ask them to let me be the last guy bidding....that way, the low ballers would not have my bid to shop...I also explained to the prospective customer that my bid was between them and me...that gas, insurance, equipment etc.. were all pretty much the same for all landscapers...but i was willing to give detailed bids and spend time giving them the best honest bid i could...and would hope that they would not "cheapen" the bidding process by showing my bid to a competitor and have him knock off 10.00 just so he would get the bid....many people were kinda set back by this...but i found i got a higher caliber of customers this way....even had a few call me back after they hired someone else and were not happy with them, asking if i would still honor my bid.
                          enough for now...
                          nadman

Comment

• .he told me; "remember nad..manage your business....don't let it manage you
                            Many new lawn care business owners may not understand what you mean by this. What is the difference between managing your business and having your business manage you?

The biggest thing that i have seen in my son starting out , is the same thing i did ..... he tries to get EVERY bid he has sent out...only thinking of sales and hustle..
                            So ultimately one of the big lessons to learn from this is that you don't want to get every bid? But instead you want to get the bids from customers that are looking for your level of service and are willing to pay for it?

Comment

• Hello
                              I am currently unemployed. But I was thinking bout going out on my own and starting my own business. My dad had a lawn and landscaping business when I was younger and I helped him alot. I have a few yards I mow now for extra money. What all I need to make my business legit? Im in Indiana.

Just found this site today and I want to say is wow alot of info.

Thanks

Comment

• Hi Adam, you may need nothing more than some liability insurance. If you go with say Adam Harper Lawn Care and have the checks made out to you, you may not have to register the business name because you are using your name. But it never hurts to register the name with your local county court house.

What are some of your upcoming plans to promote your business now?

Comment

Working...
                                X