Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• working and riding my bike until the crash now I have been resting the last month. with about a month to go.

Happy New Year!
    John @ ProCut Turf Management
    former sn: ProCut TM went down so this is my new sn

Comment

• HI

HI everyone.. my name is Roz. My husband and I started our landscaping business last year and we love it. Currently we have a little over 40 residential accounts and one small business account. I find this forum very helpful. Thanks for all the info.

Comment

• Hi Roz,

Welcome to our forum!

40 customers is quite a good amount for your first year! Do you have any advice for new lawn care business owners just starting up on how to hit that goal?
        - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
        Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

• Property Preservation

Has anyone worked on any of the foreclosures?

Comment

• There have been a few discussions on here about that.

Do a search on the forum about foreclosures and also check out these articles on my blog.

How to get lawn care & yard work on foreclosed homes.

Big money in maintaining foreclosed homes.

Let me know if they help.
            - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!

Comment

• New to The Forum

Hey guys,

New to this forum, hopefully i can get some info to take the mistakes out of business. I have been reading this forum for quite some time and i have noticed that there is a lot of talent here through various posts.

A little about myself...
              i im from the boston area and have always been around family business's, i guess its in the blood. i am currently 24 and started my company on my own in 2005 right out of high school. I didn't own anything to my name other than a shovel wheel barrel, rakes, and a small mower. All's i knew is that i did exceptional work and had plenty of will power to achieve the American Dream.

Little by little i aquired more and more equipment. Eventually i worked off my truck, worked off my trailer, got a nice walk behind mower spent money that i had on equipment that i new would make me money in the long run. I lived like no one else to LIVE like no one else.... its taken me a long time and alog of blood sweat and tears, but i am finally in a better position now...

Although i have made plenty of mistakes and still continue to. I devote all my attention on my business and continually ask questions. the biggest advice that i can say is to not give up. stay with it. That saying that if it were easy to do everyone would be doing it hold the most truth out of anything that i have ever heard.

And to anyone out there thats trying to make it, If you underbid, its OK! as long as you learn from it!! there is no secret equation to what is right and wrong... If you do undercharge, make sure you do the job that you said you were going to do, its not your customers fault that you underbid yourself. Either you will get sick and tired of underbidding and you will learn what your prices are, or your customers will not be loyal to you because of the lack of workmanship that you perform. Either way it is a no brain-er and you wont be in business for that long.

Anyways this is a little about myself, and how i want myself and my company to be portrayed. These are just my opinions, and everyone knows what they are like ;o) everyone's got one!
              DeRosa Landscaping
              www.derosaconstructionservices.com

Comment

• Hey guys,

New to this forum, hopefully i can get some info to take the mistakes out of business. I have been reading this forum for quite some time and i have noticed that there is a lot of talent here through various posts.

A little about myself...
                i im from the boston area and have always been around family business's, i guess its in the blood. i am currently 24 and started my company on my own in 2005 right out of high school. I didn't own anything to my name other than a shovel wheel barrel, rakes, and a small mower. All's i knew is that i did exceptional work and had plenty of will power to achieve the American Dream.

Little by little i aquired more and more equipment. Eventually i worked off my truck, worked off my trailer, got a nice walk behind mower spent money that i had on equipment that i new would make me money in the long run. I lived like no one else to LIVE like no one else.... its taken me a long time and alog of blood sweat and tears, but i am finally in a better position now...

Although i have made plenty of mistakes and still continue to. I devote all my attention on my business and continually ask questions. the biggest advice that i can say is to not give up. stay with it. That saying that if it were easy to do everyone would be doing it hold the most truth out of anything that i have ever heard.

And to anyone out there thats trying to make it, If you underbid, its OK! as long as you learn from it!! there is no secret equation to what is right and wrong... If you do undercharge, make sure you do the job that you said you were going to do, its not your customers fault that you underbid yourself. Either you will get sick and tired of underbidding and you will learn what your prices are, or your customers will not be loyal to you because of the lack of workmanship that you perform. Either way it is a no brain-er and you wont be in business for that long.

Anyways this is a little about myself, and how i want myself and my company to be portrayed. These are just my opinions, and everyone knows what they are like ;o) everyone's got one!
                Just reading your post you had several comments in there that remind me of Dave Ramsey. You ever heard of him?

Matt

Comment

• Welcome to our forum!

hopefully i can get some info to take the mistakes out of business
                  I'd love to hear about some of the mistakes you ran into as you were growing and how you overcame them. I bet others reading this could learn a lot from it.

Comment

• new to forum

Hello new to forum and planning on starting up a new lawn care business this year. Will accept any GOOD advise.

Comment

• Welcome to our forum!

What kinds of issues are you dealing with now as you are gearing up to get your business started?

Comment

• what do you think?

Am i outta my mind? haha! I am currently trying to target 1 acre property home owners. i have mailed out 100 ads/letters from myself personally. now this is the crazy part. i offered one free mow with referral. thats a one acre property! Of course there are some restrictions in this offer that i will explain once i get calls. Such as, the only way they will be entitled to a free mow is if they are under a 1 year contract and it cant be their first cut. Did i go about this the right way? i mean...i could have offered 25% off or even 50% off. But i am true to my word. I guess i just dont want it to sound too good to be true..haha! Any insight would help. The only reason i am able to do this is because i do have a full time job. I started the lawn business to be as an early retirement but its really hard to do it when i work at another job 40-50 hours a week. I am just actually looking to get 10-15 one acre propertiesso i can sell my small accts. I currently have 4 and 12 standard lawns that range from $25 to $40 per lawn and there is just way more money and less time in the larger acre properties.
                        Jacob Rodriguez
                        A Cut Above Lawn Care
                        acalawncaretx@gmail.com
                        www.acalawncare.com

Comment

• Welcome to our forum!

What do you charge for an acre of mowing? Have you compared the time and profits for large properties vs the smaller ones?

Comment

• Hello

Hi,

Great forum from what I have seen thus far, My name is Simon, I have been in the "garden Care" business for 3 years now having moved from Gibraltar back home to UK I didn't fancy the commute to London everyday to sit in an office playing with servers that were located 30 miles closer to home!.

Business going well,approx 50 privates a week mid season and a few commercial contracts all year round so no time for hobbies at the moment.!

Looking for ideas and marketing on ways to grow the business as taking staff on full time end of February and have not needed to advertise before as word of mouth has carried me this far.

Thanks for your time.

Comment

• Hi Simon,

Welcome to our forum!

You got a good amount of customers already! Could you scale up your word of mouth efforts to attract even more?

Comment

• Welcome to our forum!

What do you charge for an acre of mowing? Have you compared the time and profits for large properties vs the smaller ones?
                                ****************************************************************************************************************************************************************

i usually charge $100 to $130 an acre for residential and between $115 to $150 for commercial. but then again i charge Commercial properties more on time than anything due to all the obstacles. for an acre residential property, it takes me by myself about 75 to 90 minutes. thats cut, edge, trim and blow. 30 to 45 min with a helper. I am trying to stay away from commercial due to lowballers but then question my bidding abilities on commercial as well. i have picked up a couple of commercial accounts but then lost them when they found someone cheaper. but, you get what you pay for and the 1 account i lost looks riduculous now! haha! i guess i just feel like your residential customers are gonna be faithful because of your quality, work ethic and professionalism. Commercial is more about saving a buck for the company. im just hoping i get some calls soon on the acre properties because i can ultimately make more money. it takes way too long to load up from these small accounts. i figure if im cutting 3 reg lawns an hour at $30 each and making $90. I can cut an acre lawn in 75 min and have less travel time. it will ultimately be good. Another good thing is....the customers with the acre properties pay on time every time. sometimes i have a hard time with some of the smaller accounts. I have been reading alot of posts on this site and i appreciate all the insights. they are really helping. its good to know that there are other lawn businesses out there that actually care about quality and customer service. How about the prices im charging? too high? too low? what are your thoughts?
                                Jacob Rodriguez
                                A Cut Above Lawn Care
                                acalawncaretx@gmail.com
                                www.acalawncare.com

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X