X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mow Blow & Go

Hi Steve,

You asked "Why do you think they slack off? Is it the aren't charging enough to make it worth their while? Or that they get bored of it? What's your view? "

The factors you ask about do come into play when it comes to any landscaper mediocrity. Also, here in southern California the housing industry was a major employer, when that industry took a turn for the worst, many construction personnel found it easy to pick up a cheap bunch of equipment and start their lawn business.

The fact that one can work a machine, doesn't necessarily make an expert in the trade. I read somewhere in this forum that reading and educating ourselves is a good way to start a business in landscape, and it was right, but not all out there follow this basic principle.

I see really good landscapers that also came from the construction trade and I have built a good working relationship with some. They care about what they do and it shows. When it came time for me to ask questions, they were receptive and knew their "stuff".

Amongst other things, I am studying for the Chemical Spray Certification here in California, turns out, it's required by state law.

Also, kudos to Matt, that is a great website!

Comment

• Hey Matt

Great job, I checked your website. Do you think the flyers or the website will yield more results. What would you charge a customer for a onetime Dog waste cleanup just prior to servicing their lawn. I am looking for fair ways to be compensated for this task myself, leaving it in situ and casually cutting over it, or worse, hitting it inadvertently with a string trimmer, tends not to be the best option. Any advice you have on this matter (no pun intended) would be appreciated. I did read your Dog Waste service page, but was wondering how you'd be compensated if it was a casual 'one time' cut and there was dog waste.Steve is correct about the contracts. You can still perform the same high quality work, and be just as dependable without a contract. I explain to people that I am still serving in the Armed Forces, and as a result am unable to sign a contract per-se, but as long as I'm on the ground here in Canada, I will continue to service your lawn, on time, on target! Also, as you have indicated your website is new, you may want to check the spelling of Securely and the grammar on the "Payment be due". I know US and Canada have variations, Zee -Zed, color-colour etc, it's just something that jumped out at me as I read it.

Best of luck with your business, and do keep it fun!

JJ

Comment

• Hi Matt,

Welcome to our forum!

Your site and ad look great!

Early on, it seems it is always better to keep things simple. You may later want to use contracts, but in the beginning it's probably better to feel things out first before you lock yourself into your own contract.

What have you thought of the experience so far of starting your own business?

How has this experience compared with what you previously had done?
        Ok, I'll stay out of the contracting business for now. The experience of starting my own business has been great. I don't think there is anything better in this world than that.

As far as what I previously did...well this is COMPLETELY different. I was sitting behind a computer in the AC all day and now I'll be outside sweating it out. The only hard thing is now I have to hold myself accountable. I have the gift of procrastination so this has been one thing that I have had to keep on myself about.

Comment

• Also, kudos to Matt, that is a great website!
          Thanks!
          Last edited by Growing Green; 12-08-2010, 07:56 PM.

Comment

• Hey Matt

Great job, I checked your website. Do you think the flyers or the website will yield more results. What would you charge a customer for a onetime Dog waste cleanup just prior to servicing their lawn. I am looking for fair ways to be compensated for this task myself, leaving it in situ and casually cutting over it, or worse, hitting it inadvertently with a string trimmer, tends not to be the best option. Any advice you have on this matter (no pun intended) would be appreciated. I did read your Dog Waste service page, but was wondering how you'd be compensated if it was a casual 'one time' cut and there was dog waste.Steve is correct about the contracts. You can still perform the same high quality work, and be just as dependable without a contract. I explain to people that I am still serving in the Armed Forces, and as a result am unable to sign a contract per-se, but as long as I'm on the ground here in Canada, I will continue to service your lawn, on time, on target! Also, as you have indicated your website is new, you may want to check the spelling of Securely and the grammar on the "Payment be due". I know US and Canada have variations, Zee -Zed, color-colour etc, it's just something that jumped out at me as I read it.

Best of luck with your business, and do keep it fun!

JJ
            Oh darn good catch JJ. I looked over that website a bunch of times and missed that. I added "will" and "securely" has now been corrected as well. Thanks again and I appreciate the kudos. I used "weebly" to create it. Only $3.99 a month. Very cheap and so far I've been very pleased. If you have any questions about it feel free to ask. :-)

As far as the dog waste...well I'm just starting off this business. Don't even have one customer yet. :-( So not really sure what to expect. I was thinking that I would add $10 a month for one dog to their monthly bill and $5 more a month on every other dog they have. I figured I would just clean it up every 2 weeks I'm out there. Not sure how customer will respond on that. Will let everyone know when I get more experience in that area.

I've put the website on google, put it on craigslist in Austin and have passed out flyers in my neighborhood. Tomorrow I'm going to pass out over 200 more flyers to a bunch of other neighborhoods around me. There is a TON of competition that do the same thing so I've been trying to think of other ways to get customers. I just moved to Austin from San Antonio so I don't have a lot of connections. Any suggestions on other ways to advertise that doesn't require a large cost? I'm thinking of going and volunteering in the farmers markets and all the other stuff that is always going on here in Austin to build connections. Austin is all about being organic and green. I LOVE IT!!!

Comment

• hello

Hello to all . I just signed up on your website and have learned a lot. I have mowed grass for a few years around the neighberhood and just picked up a walk behind and thought it was time to go a little bigger with this. I have worked for a big box company going on 4 years and hate to be inside for 9 hours a day. Before that i ran a skid loader for a excavating company.I will do all the basic stuff , mowing trimming edging mulching and yard clean up.I also do downspout repairs

Comment

• Welcome to our forum!

Did you consider doing smaller excavation jobs as well? Did you enjoy that kind of work?
                - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
                Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

• Hello

What's up everyone, my name is Robert and I'm new to the lawn service business. I got the idea from my girlfriend about 2 months ago when we were having a discussion about me being unhappy at my current employer and wanting to start my own business. She came up with the idea of cleaning gutters and also leaf clean up and removal, and from there my brain went in to over drive about all the services that can be offered in this industry. I've been able to aquire 2 clients for leaf clean up, but its been slow for the most part. All help and feedback would be greatly appreciated, as I sometimes feel lost as to how to gain more business and market myelf properly. We came up with the name Bob's Lawn Service.

Comment

• Steve
                    I will do a little excavating work. Yard prep for grass seed and install new downspouts
                    My main focus is mowing for now , but hope to grow and do more hardscapes BIG MONEY there.

Comment

• Welcome Robert,

What have you been doing so far to market your services?
                      - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!

Comment

• New to the Site - Hello!

Just stopping by to say Hello - I have found very useful information.
                        Just stared plowing last year for a lady. I'm not sure what to charge, got lots of jobs requesting bids. How do I know what to charge them?

Comment

• Welcome to our forum!

The simplest way would be to ask around locally and find the average hourly fee, but you could also experiment with the snow plow calculator here.

Comment

• Hello,

My name is Justin I own a small tree service business in BC Canada. I've been operating for 4 years now and do snow removal in the winter. I don't do any lawn or even small tree work but found this site while doing some looking around on the net. I'm a cert'd arb who also logged for 12 years before starting on residential work.

Thanks for all the info here.

Comment

• been off the board all season had to reregister, just stopping by to say hi all
                              John @ ProCut Turf Management
                              former sn: ProCut TM went down so this is my new sn

Comment

• Welcome back John!

What have you been up to?

Comment

Working...
                                X