This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lessons learnt

We have now been trading for 15 yrs and am happy to say that life is good.Saying that it hasn't all been Roses.
    First thing I have learnt is to Look after your employees.so important.look after them and they will go the extra mile for you. treat them bad and they will go out of there way to make everything bad for you.
    Secondly.Get a proper Health and Safety policy in place and keep it upto date.
    Third.Full training records are essential.
    I'm boring myself now sorry, but having been sued for lots of money because one of my guys decided to put their hand in a stihl hs81 hedge cutter you soon realise the stress it puts on you .ok yes your insurance will cover it but very stressful times.
    We now use a online Hr company for employment law.not trying to jinx anything but you can't just sack guys these days regardless of what they do,so get everything in place.
    Having said all this I wish I had done these things as soon as I took help on and not waited so long .
    Sometimes I wonder if I should have stayed a one man band as it was so much easier back in the day lol.
    Last thing I can add is treat your customers like a friend.word of mouth is amazing.if they like you they love to tell everybody how good you are.on the same point.if one of your guys messes up.,Fix the problem ASAP regardless of cost just make them like you again.most of our work comes that way now.
    Hope some of this helps you guys.quite a few points covered here

Comment

• Great insights!

Sometimes I wonder if I should have stayed a one man band as it was so much easier back in the day lol.
      It is fascinating how often that topic comes up! It should give pause to those thinking about growth and if they should do it and how they should do it.
      - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
      Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

• Just signed up. tryin to accept this dirt world that went digital

I have been stubborn and dismissive for many years about embracing the new ways of doing business and networking; and I cannot ignore it any longer.. For the past 25 or so years I have been in the industry in North GA. Started out like most by mowing lawns around my part of town and working for others learning about the biz. In high school I opted for a two year technical degree in horticulture and then went on to get a two year associates degree in the same field. Many of my classmates went on to the golf course industry while I opted for making my own way. It has been a learning experience like no other. I have experimented with working for builders, developers, realtors, homeowners, and everyone else between. When I started out a firm handshake meant a deal was struck and both parties agreed to what was said. Now I have to have multipage contracts with wording that only my high school latin teacher would understand or the slicksters in suits that come up with the jargon. When the fat was thick and we rode high on the hog I had 5 crews doing maintenance and installs. After that bubble burst it was a whole new ballgame. It seems everything changed, from equipment technology, to sourcing labor that would actually work, new rules and regulations, and how new leads are found. I started over again five years ago when I decided to get hitched and start a family. I will say this; with all this new technology there is a lot more information out there for people just getting into the game. Having these resources and learning to use them has actually taught me a thing or two. Especially that even our industry is changing and if I don't learn how to change with it I will be another forgotten dusty tool in the barn. Its good to be with ya'll. I look forward to learning something new from everyone.

Comment

• Welcome to our forum!

or many years about embracing the new ways of doing business and networking; and I cannot ignore it any longer.
          What ways are you thinking about that you have avoided and what is your view on how ignoring them has effected your business?
          - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
          Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

• New landscape maintenance company

Is this site still active?

Comment

• New here and getting a feel for things.

Comment

• I'm new here as well. Hope everyone is good.

Comment

Working...
                X