I'm new to forum and to the business!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Markolc
    started a topic I'm new to forum and to the business!

I'm new to forum and to the business!

Howdy! I'm Mark, owner of 4-Seasons Lawncare of New Britain, CT. I worked for a couple summers for a landscaping company during my college years and got paid decent money, and once I got out of school and decided my degree wasn't making me happy, I thought back to how much fun I had landscaping and what type of potential there is to owning my own business (the work seemed easy enough).

While I know how to use all the equipment properly and how to make a lawn come out looking great, I'd love to learn more about how to actually pick up and get started. So far I've bought a '98 C2500 truck with a plow and tow package. I'm looking for all the rest of the equipment right now (trimmer, bp blower, 48" mower, push mower) and possibly a trailer.

I'd love to know what you guys did to get your new businesses up and running from scratch? How did you recruit customers, etc.? Where did you learn the business. I'd love to tap this knowledge! Any advice for a ?

I'll be seeing you guys around, I'm full of questions!

• Steve
    replied
    Show us what it looks like when you get it made!

I can't wait to hear how all this works out!

Leave a comment:

• musician/lawnman
    replied
    Quote[/b] (Team Gopher @ Feb. 22 2008,9:30)]I really like your idea of combining them with your business card.

I have never been given a business card that was a $10.00 off your first purchase with us. I think that could really be a great way to get people to contact you.
    I think that is brilliant! It makes your card worth something, even if the don't need you this week they wil take it & keep it! If they can't use it they'll find a friend or family member to give it to so they can be the hero who helped em save $10 bucks. I love it! it's a great idea & going to rob it from ya & use it too. Hope that's alright, if not I hope you don't hold a grudge very long.....

Leave a comment:

• Steve
    replied
    I really like your idea of combining them with your business card.

I have never been given a business card that was a $10.00 off your first purchase with us. I think that could really be a great way to get people to contact you.

Do you think that is something you will try more in the future or what is your view on that?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    No none have been redeemed yet, I didn't specify that they couldn't combine them but it wont be a big deal if they do.

Leave a comment:

• Steve
    replied
    That is very fascinating! Have you had any of them redeemed yet?

Also did you put on there that they can not be combined? Or could someone combine them?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Actually I do have an expiration date on them I gave them out in Nov. but as everyone knows in MI cant do lawn till atleast end of Mar, with that being dream date so I put the expiration date of 06-31-08. I figure if they use them in spring for clean up it will not effect the price for us, and if they use during June we will have been mowing for awhile so the loss will not hurt us.
    No I didnt put with a purchase amount on them due to the fact that it never seems like that good of a deal to me when I get those. I thought that they might see it the same way I do.

Leave a comment:

• Steve
    replied
    Oh that is very interesting! Did you have an expiration date on them? Or did they only apply to a purchase of $x amount of dollars or more? Or how did that work?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    A percentage off like 15%, or 25%, I know when I go shopping I like the extra 5 % I hit those racks first. Well truthfully I dont like to give away free services but I have used a business card and designed it into a 10.00 gift card. I put these into our Thanksgiving Cards, and gave them an extra for them to give to a friend.

Leave a comment:

• Steve
    replied
    Quote[/b] ]Also offer something free that doesnt cost you anything but time "call for your FREE estimate" is a good one. Everyone like something for free..
    What other kinds of free things would you advice including on a business card?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Another thing when designing your business card use the back to list all the services you offer. That way your business card is like a little advertisement. Also offer something free that doesnt cost you anything but time "call for your FREE estimate" is a good one. Everyone like something for free..

Leave a comment:

• Steve
    replied
    Quote[/b] ] I was a little bit hesitant to letter the truck right away, but I think I will just go ahead and get it done ASAP. Thanks!
    I think one of the great effects this has beyond the business value, is the psychological value. It makes the business seem real. It makes you feel good that yes you are indeed doing this and it exists. It's not just a truck. It's your business truck. AND yes you do own a business. It's something that can inspire you and make you feel proud. It helps you push forwards.

Leave a comment:

• Markolc
    replied
    Great advice. I was a little bit hesitant to letter the truck right away, but I think I will just go ahead and get it done ASAP. Thanks!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Another thing that you will want to do is get you truck lettered asap. It is a great form of moving advertisement. It has really paid for its self.

Leave a comment:

• Steve
    replied
    I look forwards to seeing what you get created!

Leave a comment:

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X