HELLO

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELLO

Him im luke with LG Yard Service. I'm only 14 but already in the lawn care business. I'm just getting started with Gopher but am looking forward to it!

Let me tell you how my business is going. In the mowing season, I have approx. 5 good,weekly customers. I don't own the most advanced equiptment but it works. Just recently I purchased a new trailer and can't wait to use it this summer!

Anyway's, right now, I'm having a rough time with the lawn care business. Winter is setting in but i have no jobs! What is the best way to get snow removal jobs? Also, i'm wanting to do some Spring marketting with flyers,doorhangers, etc. Please let me know how to gain som new customers and "step" up the business. Any ideas will work! Thanks![B]
    15 year old teenager in the business!

Luke Gilbert
    LG Yard Services
    Casper, WY

http://www.lgyardservice.com/index.html

Welcome. Since you are limited on funds probably make up a flyer using ms publisher or something like it and advertise on craigslist for a cheap starter.
    and when people call be professional try to know what you are talking about since your young, and learn about what you don't know so you can be confident in yourself. People like to see someone thats confident and knowledgeable. I learn new stuff everyday that i am able to use when talking to customers.
    maybe some of this will help you.
    Rob
    Green Image Lawn & Landscape

\"If you don't feel the same way about Friday nights as you do Sunday nights, then you are not doing the right thing.\"

Comment

Hi Luke, Glad to see a young man of your age working so hard and trying to advance. KUDOS to you.

When I was younger I would got to the neighbors around and knock on the door and ask to cut their yard or shovel the snow drom their drive and walks. Maybe this is something you might try.

Or you can put your computer to work download some of the snow removal fliers from here and take them to Kinkos, Stapes and have copies ran for as little as 0.03 cents a copy and start passing them out.

You never know one shovel job can lead into a sping clean up and then into a weekly cut.

Remember to be a kid along the way, that is important also.

Good Luck to YA!
      Tim

Comment

Hi Luke,

Nice to have you here on the forum!

What about holiday decorations? Is that something you can offer?

Also can you show us some pictures of your new trailer?
        - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
        Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

[B] Hey guys,
          Thanks for all your suggestions and your time. I think i'm going to do some marketing flyers for snow removal jobs. Hopefully, like you siad, this will lead up to *complete spring and summer mowing accounts. What do you think is the best place to place these flyers? Like, should i go door to door or just place them on public places? I already have a few on some local billboards and I try to hand as many business cards to everyone as i can. Also, I'm in a couple local yellowpages and phone directories which hopefully helps. I already have a few mowing jobs with my neighbors and local residential account but ts seems like the business almost Stops in the winter. *Thanks so much and I'll post some pics of my equiptment and new trailer in the next ouple of days. I hope i can keep getting helpful info from all you professionals! *THANKS

Luke Gilbert
          LG Yard Services
          Casper, WY

Comment

The more people you meet the better. So letting your neighbors know you are in business will help you.

Another interesting thing that might help is creating a press release and sending it out to the local paper with your photo and talk about how you are a teenager and are running a successful lawn care business. That could get you a lot of attention as well.
            - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!

Comment

First and Foremost as I would tell my own kids, make School your #1 priority! *I learned this the hard way myself, skipping out on most of my senior year of high school and then later on wanting to go to college, I sure had to back track and make up all those lost credits to get my Diploma. *

Although I'm sure you get dollar signs in your eyes, without the proper education, you may or may not find it harder to accomplish your goals. *English especially, there's nothing I find more disgusting is when I see a flyer at the store for lawn care or whatever, that is full of mis-spelled words and incorrect grammar, it just makes that person look like an inept baboon.

So, whatever my advice is worth, take it to heart.

ANDY

Comment

I totaly agree with keeping school first and consistant good grades. I always have aA's and B's so I'm doing fine right now. lol [QUOTE]Another interesting thing that might help is creating a press release and sending it out to the local paper with your photo and talk about how you are a teenager and are running a successful lawn care business. That could get you a lot of attention as well.
                But do you really think a press release would work? If so, it sounds like a great idea! How would I go about this? Thanks again! *

Luke Gilbert
                LG Yard Services
                Casper, WY

Comment

Quote[/b] (ABurlison @ Dec. 06 2007,7:57)]First and Foremost as I would tell my own kids, make School your #1 priority! *I learned this the hard way myself, skipping out on most of my senior year of high school and then later on wanting to go to college, I sure had to back track and make up all those lost credits to get my Diploma. *

Although I'm sure you get dollar signs in your eyes, without the proper education, you may or may not find it harder to accomplish your goals. *English especially, there's nothing I find more disgusting is when I see a flyer at the store for lawn care or whatever, that is full of mis-spelled words and incorrect grammar, it just makes that person looking an inept baboon.

So, whatever my advice is worth, take it to heart.

ANDY
                  This has to be the BEST POINT AND ADVISE OF ALL, Thanks Andy for reminding us we are giving advise to a young man that needs his education before he needs a job. I'm glad to say he is a insperation to all in his age group and even some that could be older. I'm sure this is a great summer job for him and I hope he's willing to just enjoy his childhood along the way.

Best of luck you Luke!

Tim

Comment

Thanks guys!

I really appreciate all the help and inspirations. As you can tell, I'm fresh in the business and have questions on many things. Please continue to guide me through the business! The forum and site have been great! Thanks

Luke Gilbert
                    LG Yard Services
                    Casper, WY

Comment

Quote[/b] ]I'm in a couple local yellowpages and phone directories which hopefully helps
                      wow thats good im not even in there yet. Its expensive to be in there.

if you want to do a quote you put the quote at the beginning and at the end of whatever you copy and paste.
                      Rob
                      Green Image Lawn & Landscape

\"If you don't feel the same way about Friday nights as you do Sunday nights, then you are not doing the right thing.\"

Comment

For example, I just recently won a proposal I submitted to a local property management company for 8 properties, they said they picked me because they were so impressed with the proposal I submitted, it was the most professional they have ever seen, so paying close attention to detail will win you more jobs, even if your not the cheapest they receive. Just a little peice of advice referring back to my comment on english and grammar.

Comment

Quote[/b] ]But do you really think a press release would work? If so, it sounds like a great idea! How would I go about this? Thanks again!
                          It costs nothing to try and it can't hurt.

If I were to do this, I would create a human story with it. For example I would help someone this holiday season that could use some help with their home or give them some holiday cheer.

Is there a neighbor on your block that lives alone and is elderly? Can you hang some Christmas lights for them. Have someone take a picture of you doing this. Then we can help you put together a little story about you and your business and then send that and the picture to the local paper.

It would really be a great touching human story. "Teenage entrepreneur spreads holiday cheer."

Comment

Comment

That last one didn't work, lets try this one.

Comment

Working...
                              X