Hello From Jacksonville FL.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello From Jacksonville FL.

Well I am starting up my lawn care business. I invested in used equipment, have a Troy-Bilt 33" combination deck walk behind, a Honda 21" self propelled mower, Red Max backpack blower and weed wacker, and a Husqvarna edger. Not new to this business, 10 years ago I had all my equipment stolen and it took the wind from my sails....... I run a successful delivery business now but want to give this another go. I look forward to getting acquainted with y'all.

Welcome to our forum!

I am glad to see you are back to a business you once had.

Going through that tough time when you had gotten your equipment stolen, were there lessons you learned from all of it that you could share with everyone here? How did you deal with the situation and looking back now, do you feel you could have handled it in another way or no?
    - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
    Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Thanks Steve, When my equipment was stolen I had only been in business for 3 months full time and 6 months total. I was doing a church property and left my keys in the truck. A guy hopped in it when my wife had turned her back......I learned a hard lesson about stewardship that day. The equipment was my responsibility, sure I could blame the guy that took it all. And I did for a couple years, but in the end had I just held on to my keys who knows what the business would have become...I did not handle it well. I sat on my couch for a month. I could have bought more lawn equipment but something in me was burned up by the theft. So I got a job and resigned myself to making someone else money and playing it safe. As time went on I wanted to be in business again, but not in lawn care, I don't know why, maybe I was still a little bent over paying off equipment that someone else was using... I have been in the "black" for 5 years now. The effort it takes to make the $20 an hour at driving could be spent making the $50 I had averaged mowing lawns. In hind sight I should have just bought used equipment like I have now and bandaged the wounds of my loss. But I guess it's like jumping right into a relationship after a real bad one had ended, it takes a while, if that makes sense.. So hold onto your keys, keep your stuff locked, and setbacks are not personal but opportunity to learn a lesson.

Comment

That is great insight! It is amazing how we all can beat ourselves up and keep ourselves from pushing forwards. When you are doing that, it's hard to realize that is what is going on and therefor very hard to fix it.

The world can be tough enough on the new business owner, we really gotta watch that we aren't making it worse on ourselves, either with depression, negative thinking or anything else..
        - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
        Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

HI! I'm also new and came here to get some knowledge.

Comment

WOW I cant believe that happened to you! I can definitely understand why it would be hard to rebound from that. Glad to see that you are not down for the count, I dont think it matters how long you take to get back up so long as you do get back up . sounds like you were busy during that time as well, owner of a delivery company, good for you!.
            I keep getting asked if I do lawn care and landscaping. after a dozen or so requests how could I refuse extra income.

Current skills: pushing a lawnmower... I might need some additional knowledge.

Current business: Tree Services Logan

Comment

Hiya Treeslogan, you are absolutely correct about getting up, I had to. After the gear was appropriated by whoever they were I had to .....get a job.....It took 2 years of punching a time clock to realize I really had to try something again...I have done a few different kinds of business, the delivery biz is great - I am just at a ceiling and think that I could make more as a mower man..I have a few service agreements and things are going well.. Thanks for the post..

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X