Ready to learn and get started!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ready to learn and get started!

Hello everyone. Looking forward to reading up on some good information and to receive some helpful tips and hints along the way!
    I recently started up my landscaping biz and always looking for advice. My partner and I have been in the industry for 10+ years working for various companies in lawn care and landscape care. We thought to ourselves, why keep working for someone and spreading our passions under their name. Lets take the step and start working for ourselves!
    We are located in the Northeast, so the winter time will be a big part of our game plan. I know this site is more so dedicated to lawn and landscapes, but the plowing part is new to us. I'm sure plenty of you out there have to plow in the winter to keep revenue coming in, and any helpful advice there would be awesome!
    So, heres our first question that we need some quick advice on a vehicle, but aren't sure what to go with. We have been talking around and looking around and trying to decide what the best all around vehicle for us to go with. We will be hauling weight like most I would imagine, but in the winter will need to do some plowing. We are going to stay away from any commercial bidding until we feel more comfortable with the bidding process and proper pricing to keep us from going belly up. We have heard way too many horror stories from the newbies.
    Any advice would be great!
    Thank you and look forward to reading everything we can and learning every day as much as we can!!!

I'm also looking for a trailer. I found a single axle trailer that says it can hold up to 3500lbs, but not sure if I should go bigger and get a dual axle.... any thoughts?
    I'd love to get a dump trailer as well, but don't want to spend the money just quite yet. I know it will help me in the long run, but I know I can make it without the dumper for a year or so.
    Thanks everyone!

Comment

F-350 srw either gas or diesel shouldn't matter unless you are hauling heavy.

16' 7k trailer, either open or enclosed really depends on what your long term plans are.

Comment

Welcome to our forum!

Being that you have been in the industry for a while, what kind of vehicles did you use that you felt were the most functional? Do either you or your partner have a pickup? Could you use what you currently have?
        - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
        Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

We both have always had cars or SUV. I have an Xterra we were considering using, but they really aren't meant for towing.
          As far as the trucks we used, f350 power strokes for the most part, and as nice as that may be to have, it seems a bit over the top for us.

Comment

If you are going to be starting up on smaller residential properties, you could get yourself a small trailer at first and tow that with an Xterra. Then as you need to scale up your equipment, you could scale up your truck and trailer size.

It's always easier starting with what you have now and then scale up later as needed.
            - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!

Comment

What's the game plan for plowing? Will you be using a plow or a thrower?

Comment

We are considering that right now. Anything just to get us going. We have a lot of support around us, and people are already calling and asking for services. We just need to get out there and get working!
                As far as plowing, I'm hoping we will be able to find a truck before the season starts, and we do have a small thrower we will keep in the truck and use on sidewalks and whatnot. I've noticed most companies around here don't offer that, so I feel that is an area we could beef up our prices a bit.

Comment

I think it is really important to keep costs down in your first year and save money so you can spend it when needed. If you can get up and running with what you have now, you are ahead of the game.

I am sure there is a desire to get the same equipment that you had when working with your previous employer, don't worry, you will get there. Just pace yourself to improve your chances of success.

Keep us posted on the next steps you take. We all want to hear about your decisions.

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X