Lawn Service Client Perspective - New Poster

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lawn Service Client Perspective - New Poster

I think I've found the right place to ask.

I'm not in the lawn service business, but here is the situation.

I've had several people/companies over the last 6 years cutting my front yard only, I take care of the back, when I have time. They mow twice a month, my lawn looks like hell, bare, hard ground, poor grass. $40.00 a month, they are here for Mow, Edge occasional hedge - Start to finish 11 minutes.

I know part is my fault for not watering enough, but we don't want to leave water marks on our neighbors cars, I'm in Southern Ca. and water spots are painful to remove. Three large pop up Impact sprinkler heads in the corners.

Not once has one of these "Experts" made suggestions on what I can do to minimize the water on other peoples cars, made suggestions on sprinkle changes, timing, etc. to get a healthy looking yard.

So the question is what do I do to get a nice looking yard again? Water intervals, re-seeding, new sprinklers, etc. etc. etc.

Thanks for your help,

Smitty

most types of grass need mowing every 4 to 8 days. 2 times a month is just to long. You are cutting to much of the grass blade and hurting the grass (only cut up to a 1/3 at a time)
    Most grass needs watering once a week 1". Take a tune fish can and put it on the lawn turn on the sprinklers time how long it takes to fill, that is how long to run you sprinklers. Run your sprinklers at 4am
    The water spots on the car, are you watering during the day? don't watering during the day burns lawns

$40 for two mows I would be broke, you are getting a cheap mow

Comment

listen to will,

Your paying to little and not often enough. I know its only 11 mins but the guys that will work for $20, know little to nothing about healthy grass.

Water your grass who cares that your neighbors cars are wet.

Cut more often and cut less off at a time.

Comment

I've had several people/companies over the last 6 years cutting my front yard only, I take care of the back, when I have time.

I understand that lawn maintenance can be expensive, which is why you probably take care of your own back lawn. Makes sense.

Unfortunately, that is probably why the company you had hired doesn't make any suggestions, they probably see that you are not interested in paying more.

They may be ignorant, or they are just making a fair assumption.

They mow twice a month, my lawn looks like hell, bare, hard ground, poor grass.

Your lawn needs to be mowed weekly if you are looking to keep your lawn at around 2 1/2 - 3".

Cutting tall grass down to 2 1/2 inches will often cause damage.

$40.00 a month, they are here for Mow, Edge occasional hedge - Start to finish 11 minutes.

I'm from a different part of the world, so I can't compare prices.

I am impressed that they have included hedge trimming in the price; you might actually be getting more then you are paying for.

We all have lawns that take 11 minutes to complete, this isn't anything to be worried about, especially if it's just your front yard.

I know part is my fault for not watering enough, but we don't want to leave water marks on our neighbors cars, I'm in Southern Ca. and water spots are painful to remove. Three large pop up Impact sprinkler heads in the corners.

That sounds frustrating. Are you able to have your irrigation tweaked so that the water isn't spreading onto your neighbors vehicles?

Not once has one of these "Experts" made suggestions on what I can do to minimize the water on other peoples cars, made suggestions on sprinkle changes, timing, etc. to get a healthy looking yard.

If you could provide a picture of your lawns layout, I think we'd be able to come up with some suggestions that may benefit you.

Good luck!

Comment

This brings up a great topic on what lawn care business owners could include in their marketing. If it is an issue for one customer, it would most likely be an issue for many customers.
          - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
          Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Don't take this the wrong way but

You get what you pay for .......

There is no way that anyone that has a legitimate lawn care business can mow for $20.00

I suggest you look for a better service provider and be willing to spend a little bit more ....

Comment

Don't take this the wrong way but

You get what you pay for .......

There is no way that anyone that has a legitimate lawn care business can mow for $20.00

I suggest you look for a better service provider and be willing to spend a little bit more ....
              I agree 100% Plus if you are paying them to mow the front that screams cheap to me. He may know alot about lawn care her just does not care about your lawn because you only have him cut the front...

If you called me and asked me to just mow your front yard I would tell you that we will only provide full service. I suggest you you decide if you want to pay for a real lawn care program or if you still want to be cheap and only pay to have them cut the front.

Comment

Agree that twice a month is not going to work and your lawn needs more than just "mindless" mowing. Then again, like the other guys have already mentioned, you've got it cheap. Maybe talk to your current service provider and negotiate a new set up and pricing of course or get someone else. Reality is we have to invest a little more for great looking lawns or landscape.
                sigpic

Comment

What I use is scotts turf builder in may or june at the beginning season. And then in the mid season like July& August I would use superior phosphros free fertilizer. And finally use some weed B gone in your tank sprayer or in any chemical attachment if you get lucky aand get some rain whola you got a beautiful yard! Hey I used this stuff and my compettitor who lives next door my lawn was the greenest all season Ha HA HA!
                  Travis: owner of Travis' lawn care

(Making your lawn look the best!)

Comment

What I use is scotts turf builder in may or june at the beginning season. And then in the mid season like July& August I would use superior phosphros free fertilizer. And finally use some weed B gone in your tank sprayer or in any chemical attachment if you get lucky aand get some rain whola you got a beautiful yard! Hey I used this stuff and my compettitor who lives next door my lawn was the greenest all season Ha HA HA!
                    I hope that was your lawn since its a $5000 fine to even advertise using.

Comment

most types of grass need mowing every 4 to 8 days. 2 times a month is just to long. You are cutting to much of the grass blade and hurting the grass (only cut up to a 1/3 at a time)
                      Most grass needs watering once a week 1". Take a tune fish can and put it on the lawn turn on the sprinklers time how long it takes to fill, that is how long to run you sprinklers. Run your sprinklers at 4am
                      The water spots on the car, are you watering during the day? don't watering during the day burns lawns

$40 for two mows I would be broke, you are getting a cheap mow
                      This is sound advice.

Comment

I think I see a problem.

Willshome and CHEESE2009,

Thanks for your suggestion, I'll reset the sprinklers and check the time. I'll adjust the heads so that only a mist is by their car, I't a Black Hummer and a dark grey 300 so any water spots as soon as the sun comes up. I'll report back.

KateLatierra,

I'll talk with him next time I see him about your suggestion.

Et al,

I think I see the problem in the lawn care world. It's the lawn care service providers.

I hate to be an *** and a few of you have made wild *** assumptions. It's cheaper for me to pay for someone else's time when I can be in my garage working on my CNC Milling machine making parts, doing CAD drawings, etc. etc. etc. Testing Fiber Optic passive and active components pays me a lot more than the time it takes to mow.

I didn't set the price or ask for a discount, he offered I accepted he cuts the front yard, once every two weeks. He edges once a month and hedges when needed. This is the same deal I've had with the last two people. He's been doing it for two years now. He runs a two man crew, plus himself, so he must be making enough money for his needs.

I won't just run out there and throw money at him and say "Your not charging me enough, according to some people on the web, here's a extra $100.00." You must have lost your collective minds. I'm willing to pay to get a good lawn. At this point I'm tempted to get rid of all of them and do it myself. I'm more than capable of laying out a new sprinkler system, wire new controller for multiply zones, new top soil and sod. My last back yard I brought in 10 yards of compost and rototiller it in, I had a great yard in 8 weeks. Heck if I felt like talking to my ex-wife who happens to be a Landscape architect from Penn State, I could have her redo my yard for award winning yard. Shes won several design awards for her Golf course and residential/commercial work.

I cut the back because I have two dogs that I would prefer not to have loose in the area. I'm pretty sure my wife and my last few tax returns were for over $120,000 year. I'm also pretty sure I worked on a $250,000 quote for a Canadian company that I'll probably get, not bad for three months work or the $100,000 PO that came in last week. So it isn't always the money.

For those that would only provide "Full Service" what the hell does that mean? That I pay you more I get great grass at X a month. No one goes into my back yard, not even the gas man or power company. My side yard is fenced to flush with the front of the house, and the other side is a walkway.

SECTLANDSCAPING,

Water spots are a concern, glad your not my neighbor. I also clean up after my dogs if I walk them. I also don't open my trucks door into other peoples cars. I guess I was raised to show a little respect for other peoples property.

A few of you have touched a few nerves, I asked about getting a good lawn, I didn't asked to be judged on how cheap I am or how much I can afford to pay, or my guy isn't legit, (he has his business lisc and workers comp), he isn't making money, etc. etc. If any of you believe that your clients care if you eat or not, new flash, they don't. They care about you providing a service that you said you would for the price You agreed to. If you make money fine, if not, fine.

Steve,

Instead of projecting "your" problems onto "your" clients, maybe you (the imperial "you") should set up a 5-10 minute discussion once a year and go over a plan for problem yards to get back up to acceptable conditions and discuss the cost to do so. "You" (the imperial) are supposed to be the experts.

Rant over, Flame suit is on.

Smitty

Comment

I hope that was your lawn since its a $5000 fine to even advertise using.
                          Let's call the epa on this kid haha

Comment

I knew it would end up like this when I read your post...You came on here and ask opinions and now you have decided to slam every service provider as being your problem

My only thought on this...If someone mows for you for $20.00..He doesn't give a damn about you or your lawn...

Comment

Your post is proving our point about you being cheap. If your going to pay some one to do it pay some one to do.it right, not pay then to do a half *** job. Your lawn guy probably Hayes your yard, for me that situation would almost be a waste if time

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X