No announcement yet.

The New Old Man

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He is willing to do anything to help me build up the business. I feel very lucky to have someone like him with his experience as a mentor. I have never worked with anyone at any age who can keep up with this 85 year old man.
    I know what you mean, my first year I was introduced to this man (WWII VET) who repaired lawn mowers out of his farmland home. Funny it was a customer that introduced us, but long story short my JOHN DEERE mower would break down every week and every time he would say "$20". Of course we know the costs of repairs, so I would always look at him funny..and he would say "You helped"..that's ol school! Moral of the story is where have all the good one's gone?

I would always flip em an extra 5 or 10, he got me through my first two years, plus he taught me some small engine techniques along the way.
    Last edited by ringahding1; 01-17-2012, 01:11 AM. Reason: text
    08 F250 Ext Cab/04 Chevy 3500
    05 F350/04 F350 Diesel/12 Ram 4500 Dump
    4 -60 Toro Zmaster/Lesco 48
    3 -8'2" Boss V-Plows
    1- Hiniker 9'6" V-Plow
    20' Enclosed trailer
    18' Skid & 16' Open Trailer
    2012 - S185 Bobcat

Comment

Still Some Good Ones Around, We Just Have To Be Able To Recognize Them.

I know what you mean, my first year I was introduced to this man (WWII VET) who repaired lawn mowers out of his farmland home. Funny it was a customer that introduced us, but long story short my JOHN DEERE mower would break down every week and every time he would say "$20". Of course we know the costs of repairs, so I would always look at him funny..and he would say "You helped"..that's ol school! Moral of the story is where have all the good one's gone?

I would always flip em an extra 5 or 10, he got me through my first two years, plus he taught me some small engine techniques along the way.

I know where you come from. I have an old John Deere 175 riding lawn tractor that I purchased from a garage sale and I spend a lot of time every week working on it just to keep it going. I feel fortunate because I have a nice push mower that is dependable and has never failed to start and go.

I wish that WWII VET was close enough that I could get him to work on this John Deere. Like you I would not mind flipping an extra dime or two to have someone as good hearted and caring as he must be help someone by under charging for his service. You don't find people like that everyday.

Comment

Attracting New Customers

Hi Gil,

Welcome to our forum!

What kinds of things have you been doing to market your business and attract new customers?
        Currently I am getting almost all my new customers from CraigsList. I plan to start advertising in the local Chisholm Trail Shopper Classifieds in April which is normally the beginning of our Mowing season. I have created an advertisement on Thumbtack.com and I am also in the process of creating a Facebook business page. I have been staying pretty busy although every new customer this winter has been one time only. Seems they don't mind mowing but they don't like cleaning up all the leaves and trimming the bushes.

Comment

Thank goodness
          I am not the old timer on here any more.
          I look forward to watching your posts
          Good luck with the company.

Graham
          AKA: Ducke
          Thank you, Yesterday after trimming 3 trees and hauling off all the limbs I felt like an old timer but this morning I woke up feeling like doing it all again.

Comment

Inspiration

Thanks Gil for the inspiring thread. If the grass cutting doesn't work out, clearly you have skills artistically that you could get paid for.

The one thing I do a lot is read, especially in the winter months, so I read many stories that just make you either want to PUKE or make you WORK even harder.
            Stories like yours keeps the passion and drive alive!

Good luck brother!
            THANK YOU

You sound a little like me, In the winter when it is too cold (Below Freezing) to work outside I spend almost all my time reading. It doesn't matter how much you know, how skilled, or talented you are when you reach a certain age and begin to show your age people start treating you as though your helpless and mentally challenged. I know that I look old but I do not feel old. I think of the 85 year old man that I work for as old, although I have to hustle to keep up with him. He is my role model and the one who motivates me.

Comment

Working...
            X