No announcement yet.

Introductions from Pittsburgh

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well as far as hedges go I bid by the amount of time it will take me to cut clean up and dispose. Depends one what your hourly rate is most around our area are 30$ a hour. And have a min. amount you will charge and stick to it. If you are familiar with Grandview Nursery in North Huntingdon they take grass clippings for around 6$ a pickup truck load and brush is a bit more expensive anywhere from 30$+ depending on the amount you take in. As far as advertisement for you if you have a local newspaper try that. Not a big one, just a local community paper. Some other helpful advise get a trailer and maybe get rid of the cap on your pickup. 5x10 trailer from Smouse in Mt pleasant is around 1300 out the door. I build a box on mine for clippings etc. Starting out I know it is hard to come up with a lot of cash just like that, however you will make it back quickly. Going back now I wish I would of purchased a enclosed trailer first then a open trailer, however I only had $$ for a open trailer at the time. Everything depends on what you have to spend really.

Comment

Well as far as hedges go I bid by the amount of time it will take me to cut clean up and dispose. Depends one what your hourly rate is most around our area are 30$ a hour. And have a min. amount you will charge and stick to it. If you are familiar with Grandview Nursery in North Huntingdon they take grass clippings for around 6$ a pickup truck load and brush is a bit more expensive anywhere from 30$+ depending on the amount you take in. As far as advertisement for you if you have a local newspaper try that. Not a big one, just a local community paper. Some other helpful advise get a trailer and maybe get rid of the cap on your pickup. 5x10 trailer from Smouse in Mt pleasant is around 1300 out the door. I build a box on mine for clippings etc. Starting out I know it is hard to come up with a lot of cash just like that, however you will make it back quickly. Going back now I wish I would of purchased a enclosed trailer first then a open trailer, however I only had $$ for a open trailer at the time. Everything depends on what you have to spend really.
      Thanks for the info, it's appreciated.

I looked at them today and they aren't as bad as I had imagined.
      60'x6' tall along the street, but VERY thin. You can clearly see the cars going by through them.
      70'x5'-6' tall along the driveway. Thicker than the other part, but still only 24-36" wide, and easily accessible from both sides.

I spoke to the owner and he sounded interested in the chipper idea for disposal, as he has a pile of small tree limbs that he had cut recently.
      I suggested he could use the "mulch" in the back of the property near a wooded area.

I'm guessing 1.5 hrs to cut them in half. (I'd cut the ones by the street down to the ground to let them grow back thicker, but I think they just want them cut half way down)
      2 hrs to feed it all into the chipper (blow it onto a large tarp)
      1 hr clean up
      Say a total of 5 hours... just a guess - this is my first "estimate".

If $30 is the going rate, I may charge $20/hr. They are people I'm acquainted with and new homeowners who don't have a lot of disposable income at the moment. If I price it too high, they may just decide to do it themselves. (as it really isn't a difficult job aside from disposal of the cuttings)

I'll have to price a towable chipper rental. Fortunately, there is a Home Depot within about 4 miles. (unless someone has a better/less costly suggestion)

I'll try to attach some pics of the hedges...

About the trailer - yes, I know I'll need one, but I simply can't afford it now. Gotta have money to make money it seems, but I'll get there one way or another. The cap is not likely going anywhere. It would make things easier for lawn care, but it's useful in other ways.
      I'll throw in a pic of my "wheel-less trailer" too. (No laughing!)
      Attached Files

Comment

If $30 is the going rate, I may charge $20/hr. They are people I'm acquainted with and new homeowners who don't have a lot of disposable income at the moment. If I price it too high, they may just decide to do it themselves. (as it really isn't a difficult job aside from disposal of the cuttings)
        I'd say at least $30.

It's good to see you are making it work with what you have. You can always scale up and get more equipment, trailers etc.

Keep us posted on how this turns out.
        - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
        Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Just got a call for an estimate to pick up/deliver and dig/plant 15-20 4' junipers along a property line.

Another referral by the neighbor who e-mailed my flyer to friends along with a helpful "I HIGHLY recommend him" note.

Wonder how many I can get in that cargo carrier?

ETA:
          That's gonna be a lotta diggin'...

Comment

Just got a call for an estimate to pick up/deliver and dig/plant 15-20 4' junipers along a property line.

Another referral by the neighbor who e-mailed my flyer to friends along with a helpful "I HIGHLY recommend him" note.

Wonder how many I can get in that cargo carrier?

ETA:
            That's gonna be a lotta diggin'...
            Nice. Did you do the hedge job yet? Another tip don't forget to figure in fuel as well. Whether you put it on your quote or not is up to you. I don't, but always figure it in on big jobs and usually just add it to my labor charge.

Comment

Nice. Did you do the hedge job yet? Another tip don't forget to figure in fuel as well. Whether you put it on your quote or not is up to you. I don't, but always figure it in on big jobs and usually just add it to my labor charge.
              No hedges yet - I was doing a handyman job that took the better part of the day and it was too late to get prices for "dumping" from anyone. I did get a rental price list from home depot, though I haven't had time to look at it.

Picked up a (don't laugh) Craftsman gas hedge trimmer tonight. It should handle that big hedge job with ease. Gonna use it in the morning on a massive "shrub" at a neighbor's house. Will get "real" tools when I can.

Comment

Hedge

O wow man, a craftsman hedge trimmer to do a chainsaws work!?!?!?!?

I will be honest i have never trimmed hedges with a hedge trimmer, unless you count my Stihl 260 Magnum as a hedge trimmer, but honestly i havent trimmed any so to say shaping them, but i have trimmed them like your doing, cutting them and i use a sharp chainsaw.

Maybe a hedge trimmer can lop off 2 inch hedge stalks, i dont know cause i havent used one "yet" let me know how it works please.
                (352)682-3094 Suwannee River, Florida 32680

Visit my site, http://www.lawnmoore.com, Thanks!

Comment

O wow man, a craftsman hedge trimmer to do a chainsaws work!?!?!?!?

I will be honest i have never trimmed hedges with a hedge trimmer, unless you count my Stihl 260 Magnum as a hedge trimmer, but honestly i havent trimmed any so to say shaping them, but i have trimmed them like your doing, cutting them and i use a sharp chainsaw.

Maybe a hedge trimmer can lop off 2 inch hedge stalks, i dont know cause i havent used one "yet" let me know how it works please.
                  It should be fine. (for this job anyway) Will cut 3/4". Those hedges aren't very thick at all and the ones along the street are so thin I could buzz them off with my cordless Black and Decker trimmer.

I priced an Echo trimmer that cuts up to 1", but at $300, it's going to have to wait. I can either sell this one later, or keep it as a backup when I get better equipment. If I had time to look, I would have picked up something used.

Comment

It should be fine. (for this job anyway) Will cut 3/4". Those hedges aren't very thick at all and the ones along the street are so thin I could buzz them off with my cordless Black and Decker trimmer.

I priced an Echo trimmer that cuts up to 1", but at $300, it's going to have to wait. I can either sell this one later, or keep it as a backup when I get better equipment. If I had time to look, I would have picked up something used.
                    I use a Echo gas powered trimmer the HC-150C and it is fantastic. And is probably the one you are looking at. I wouldn't knock craftsman. I've had a craftsman 16" chainsaw that is 10 years old and it still runs like a bat out of hell, except doing a huge tree job a few weekends ago my climber made a wrong cut and had to sacrifice the saw(only bent the bar). So I am going to retire it and go buy me a nice big Husky 455.

Comment

Welcome to the forum!
                      Artie Crowley
                      www.marketingholders.com
                      sales@marketingholders.com

Comment

Update:

Didn't get the hedge trimming job.

My highest quote was $250 (I had it broken down three ways - chipping/hauling away the debris)

Someone gave them a trimmer.

Comment

Update:

Didn't get the hedge trimming job.

My highest quote was $250 (I had it broken down three ways - chipping/hauling away the debris)

Someone gave them a trimmer.
                          I had a few jobs lost like that. I am starting now working on a newsletter and an ad for the fall so I can start to get people lined up ahead of time.

Comment

I use a Echo gas powered trimmer the HC-150C and it is fantastic. And is probably the one you are looking at. I wouldn't knock craftsman. I've had a craftsman 16" chainsaw that is 10 years old and it still runs like a bat out of hell, except doing a huge tree job a few weekends ago my climber made a wrong cut and had to sacrifice the saw(only bent the bar). So I am going to retire it and go buy me a nice big Husky 455.
                            My local dealer recommended a Tanaka Hedge trimmer over the Redmax which I tend to favor. We had it out on a few jobs it works well, it ought to at $300. Im in the market for a chainsaw now too. I don't do any larger jobs but I have a McCullough I have been using thats about 8 years old and still runs fine. Its only 14 inch, Im looking at the Redmax 18 inch, which I can pick up for $259. We bought a Huskavarna a few weeks ago and I really didn't care for the little plastic wheel you had to use to tighten the chain. I took it back. Whats funny is they own Redmax now, you would think they would just take all the Redmax designs and apply them to their equipment.

Comment

My local dealer recommended a Tanaka Hedge trimmer over the Redmax which I tend to favor. We had it out on a few jobs it works well, it ought to at $300. Im in the market for a chainsaw now too. I don't do any larger jobs but I have a McCullough I have been using thats about 8 years old and still runs fine. Its only 14 inch, Im looking at the Redmax 18 inch, which I can pick up for $259. We bought a Huskavarna a few weeks ago and I really didn't care for the little plastic wheel you had to use to tighten the chain. I took it back. Whats funny is they own Redmax now, you would think they would just take all the Redmax designs and apply them to their equipment.
                              Was it the husky/poulon line?

Comment

Was it the husky/poulon line?
                                It was box store crap, but not much less than the RedMax and smaller.

Comment

Working...
                                X