Buying accounts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying accounts

I have the chance to buy some accounts that will get my business to where it needs to be, but the guy wants 4 months revenue for them, what do you think? Is it worth it?

what can I do to reduce the risks of losing the accounts after I pay 4 months income for them.

Thanks, John
    ProCut Turf Management

Hi John,

That sounds high compared to what we have talked about in the past.

A while back I put together this blog post on the topic of purchasing lawn care accounts.

Suggestions on buying lawn care customer accounts. - General rule of thumb for buying customers is that they are worth about 1 month revenue. If they are commercial youíll pay a little more and if there is a signed multi-year agreement in place ( which you said there is ) then this will push the price up too. So it could be worth as much as 2 or 3 months revenue depending on the situation.

Let me know if this information helps.
    - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
    Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

John

In our area guys pay no more than 4 cuttings basicaly a month of pay

Comment

I am in FL so the season is all year though it does slow down Dec-Mar
        most of these accounts are Commercial

I was thinking of offering him 3 months but no more

my incentive is that this will bring my monthly income to where it needs to be

John

Comment

Are these commercial clients under contract? If so do you know for how long? Also did you ask why he was selling them?
          - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!

Comment

I'm not sure if they are under contract I will ask that.
            He is selling because he is getting out of the business.

I ask him about a no compete clause and he has no problem with that. I also told him that most guys around here are charging 3 months and that the board say 1 month. He is pretty set on 4 months I think it is a set dollar amount that he wants.

John

Comment

Well it will be interesting to hear what he has to say and when these contracts end.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys

I appreciate it

John

Comment

You are welcome. Let us know what you find out and what you decide to do.

Comment

I offered him 3 months and he is flaking out and not sure he wants to sell them now.

Comment

I am guessing not many others made a bid on it either?

Comment

Working...
                      X