Customer calls police

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Customer calls police

I have a customer (not really, we have no formal documentation signed of anything) Heres what happened

Guy calls for estimate on aeration
    I show up and give estimate
    He accepts and gives me contact information

I tell him when its scheduled and he says he will pay after work is completed
    I agree to this

I call on day scheduled to tell him its going to be pushed back due to the ammount of rain i have been recieving (as i did with all other customers)
    Call back to give rescheduled day..unfortunatelly it rained then too..

I called back to reschedule..its to be scheduled this saturday
    He calls me today at 9:30 PM to tell me that if its not done by saturday
    hes going to call the police
    and the better business beureau

Whats your views on this?
    we have no record of even agreeing to provide these services besides verbally
    he has not paid in advance
    and if a cop talks to me..im just some kid out trying to make a little extra cash (even though i run this company with full intention of being a business)

im not a licensed company

whats the danger in if this happens?
    what should i do to handle it?
    should i call saying i cant work for him?
    or should i just do the work and get paid cash?

give me some advice im not sure of what to do..
    Just Kut Lawn and Landscape
    "Where Service is Always in Season"
    Reach for the stars so if you fall you land on a cloud.

since you havent taken any money from him,and have nothing in writing,he cant do anything .It might be fun to ask him if he needs the # for 911 .

Comment

since you havent taken any money from him,and have nothing in writing,he cant do anything .It might be fun to ask him if he needs the # for 911 .
      I was more concerned about the BBB seeing as im not licensed or anything, but I am a minor and i don't believe i'm CURRENTLY making enough revenue to be considered and illegal company.

Should i do it anyways but ask for payment in cash when i arrive at the property? Or should i call back tomorrow and see what happens when i say i refuse service.

Comment

I double checked..turns out i made an invoice for him on the aeration. But im 99.9999999% positive i never gave it to him..(a lesson i just learned..have a seperate folder for given paperwork and paperwork to be given instead of just making a second copy for myself)

but even if i did..i never gave a sales receipt..and theres no proof of payment to me.

Would this change anything? I just need opinions and advice haha.

Comment

I dont know the american laws with the bbb ,but guaranteed I wouldnt do the job for him at this point,this guy sounds like a troublemaker to me .

Comment

I'd have to agree with bruces. Just let this one go. The BBB is a consumer organization not a government one. It is a for profit business that very few even look at. They get a complaint, send you the complaint and you have a chance to refute that complaint. Your future customers, if they check with the BBB will get the complaint and your reply to the complaint. If you are justified in how you dealt with it? your customer will see that and ignore it. The BBB is just a business rating system, not the eyes of the FBI. Your fine, just ignore his calls and don't do the job.

Comment

I wouldn't waste any more time being worried. I have had thousands of clients in a few different niches and have seen my fair share of interesting events. This guy is full of it. Most threats like that go 99% no where. He doesn't have a leg to stand on and he's tossing out idle threats that hold no water.

Call the police because a contractor doesn't show up? Come on! What do you think the police will think of him? For one, they DO keep records of calls and that will look foolish on his part.

As for the BBB:

They are a private organization
              They are a non-profit organization
              They have no regulatory powers... at all
              They have over 100 regional branches all looking to get $ from businesses to participate in their Accredited Membership program.

Since you are a minor, if someone stiffs you for the bill, I don't think you'll have any recourse because adults can't legally go into contracts with minors in your situation.(my non-lawyer opinion) However, if someone gets hurt as a result of your negligence, doing work or whatever, any liability will fall on your parents.

Wear eye protection at all times. Be mindful of the direction of the discharge shoot so it's not "aiming" at anyone and keep people away from your work area.

iCutGrass

Comment

ROFLMAO!

Can you imagine that phone call?

"911, what is the nature of your emergency?"

"This kid said he would aerate my lawn, and he keeps rescheduling due to the weather!"

"OK, sir. Remain calm, all units have been dispatched."

"Thank you. You're going to make him aerate my lawn, right?"

"Sir, the SWAT team is en route, and they are trained for this situation - it happens all the time - and, yes, they will attempt to get him aerate your lawn."

"Will it be done TODAY?"

"Sir, every effort will be made to resolve this conflict peacefully, but occasionally, the actor does not comply, and is shot dead - unfortunately, we can not guarantee that your lawn will be aerated today."

"Nevermind then, I'm calling the FBI!!!"

(click)

ruh-roh!

Comment

Where you recording my last customers 911 call? I s**t you not, that is exactly what happened.

ROFLMAO!

Can you imagine that phone call?

"911, what is the nature of your emergency?"

"This kid said he would aerate my lawn, and he keeps rescheduling due to the weather!"

"OK, sir. Remain calm, all units have been dispatched."

"Thank you. You're going to make him aerate my lawn, right?"

"Sir, the SWAT team is en route, and they are trained for this situation - it happens all the time - and, yes, they will attempt to get him aerate your lawn."

"Will it be done TODAY?"

"Sir, every effort will be made to resolve this conflict peacefully, but occasionally, the actor does not comply, and is shot dead - unfortunately, we can not guarantee that your lawn will be aerated today."

"Nevermind then, I'm calling the FBI!!!"

(click)

ruh-roh!

Comment

The opinion that they are a for profit organization was that they do force many companies to pay. Not that they are legally a for profit organization. You can guarantee the CEO is making a handsome wage. LOL Thanks for your insite on this iCutGrass.

See you in the funny pages.

I wouldn't waste any more time being worried. I have had thousands of clients in a few different niches and have seen my fair share of interesting events. This guy is full of it. Most threats like that go 99% no where. He doesn't have a leg to stand on and he's tossing out idle threats that hold no water.

Call the police because a contractor doesn't show up? Come on! What do you think the police will think of him? For one, they DO keep records of calls and that will look foolish on his part.

As for the BBB:

They are a private organization
                    They are a non-profit organization
                    They have no regulatory powers... at all
                    They have over 100 regional branches all looking to get $ from businesses to participate in their Accredited Membership program.

Since you are a minor, if someone stiffs you for the bill, I don't think you'll have any recourse because adults can't legally go into contracts with minors in your situation.(my non-lawyer opinion) However, if someone gets hurt as a result of your negligence, doing work or whatever, any liability will fall on your parents.

Wear eye protection at all times. Be mindful of the direction of the discharge shoot so it's not "aiming" at anyone and keep people away from your work area.

iCutGrass

Comment

I would have said, "Go f' yourself and stop wasting my time. You are whining to the wrong person - grow up and find someone else who's dumb enough to take you as a customer".

End of story.

Comment

thats exactly the call I envisioned Hedge ,problem is I really dont think he know's the number to 911 .

Comment

I have a customer (not really, we have no formal documentation signed of anything) Heres what happened

Guy calls for estimate on aeration
                          I show up and give estimate
                          He accepts and gives me contact information

I tell him when its scheduled and he says he will pay after work is completed
                          I agree to this

I call on day scheduled to tell him its going to be pushed back due to the ammount of rain i have been recieving (as i did with all other customers)
                          Call back to give rescheduled day..unfortunatelly it rained then too..

I called back to reschedule..its to be scheduled this saturday
                          He calls me today at 9:30 PM to tell me that if its not done by saturday
                          hes going to call the police
                          and the better business beureau

Whats your views on this?
                          we have no record of even agreeing to provide these services besides verbally
                          he has not paid in advance
                          and if a cop talks to me..im just some kid out trying to make a little extra cash (even though i run this company with full intention of being a business)

im not a licensed company

whats the danger in if this happens?
                          what should i do to handle it?
                          should i call saying i cant work for him?
                          or should i just do the work and get paid cash?

give me some advice im not sure of what to do..

you got other costumers unless this one was going to pay higher price then the others, at elast twice as much, then you should just walk away and if the cops do come just tell them you did the job and the costumer never paid... how can they notice 2 months after the aeration has been done??? but then again just walk away and get other clients have fun

Comment

Wonder if he calls the cops if his paper is late in morning?

Comment

Wonder if he calls the cops if his paper is late in morning?
                              hahaha thats really funny
                              also
                              thanks for all the help and advice guys, i think I may do the job if he pays me cash when i pull up to the house. Otherwise I won't do it and if he calls again I'll turn him down. The only reason ill hold onto him is because i overbid it and its worth the small amount of work for the money.

Comment

Working...
                              X