Should I?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I?

im only 16 and ive been in business for 3 years now.
    i have never had a problem with anything..nobody has ever brought it up except on one occasion when a client requested a gutter cleaning and i told him were not insured and he second thought about it but i dont blame him. Every day i would walk my mower around town to get to my next house and never has a cop stopped me. I have had my truck with multiple logos surrounding it with me on occasions and a cop never stopped me.

All i want is to know if you think it is necessary to become licensed and possibly insured.

What would the consequences be of me getting caught un licensed as a minor.

I understand being insured is big and opens alot of doors but until i feel i can make a living off of this business i dont want it to be legal. The paperwork would cost some money and the hassle just for licensed title no one pays attention too i dont think is worth the effort unless there is a major consequence.

what are your opinions?
    Just Kut Lawn and Landscape
    "Where Service is Always in Season"
    Reach for the stars so if you fall you land on a cloud.

Do what you can for now, getting into the legal crud at your age isn't worth it.

There are perks to being 'legal', like money back - when you create 'business expenses' you'll receive a small percent back on certain things here and there.

The good thing is, just about everything can be written off as a business expense, therefore saving you money.

The problem with being legal is, charging tax makes our prices too high (visually)... we don't even get to keep that money....

A lot of people will tell you getting registered is easy, bla bla... Though, I truly believe you should keep it up as you are currently.

You can get away with charging your competitors prices, and being able to keep all the profits - mind as well make it last....

Reasons for becoming legal, quite a few but not so many...
    Take it slow, you'll know when the right time comes along and you should become legal. As for the police, I guarantee they wont bust your chops if you kept this up for a lifetime. I suppose they don't like conflict considering the stereotype of the 'lawn guys' being rough a-holes. lol...

(just don't break the law when you drive around - speeding, going through stop signs, etc - give them no reason to pull you over)

Hope this was encouraging. lol

Party on!

Comment

JK- I'm currently sitting in the same spot as you. Im not licensed or insured. A friend of mine also has a lawn care company, and he just got licensed and insured about 3-4 months ago. He is 17 as well. Getting licensed doesn't cost much, just some paperwork, and I think he pays around $400 every 6 months. So for $66.00 a month, it's probably worth it. I can't be positive that is what he pays, but I know its in that ball park. I'm planning on getting licensed and insured for this upcoming spring. I also have been driving around with logo's on the truck and have never had an issue. I really doubt a cop is gunna say a word to us about running our business. I think there's a better chance of a potential customer asking about it.

Comment

All i want is to know if you think it is necessary to become licensed and possibly insured.
        Why do you feel you put this off?
        - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
        Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

you have to worry about the tax man with a business adventure,and when you have a lettered truck competitors in your area might make a call to the tax man on your behalf [really not good ] ,and as far as insurance goes,if you throw a rock through a basement window, damage any property whatsoever ,or god forbid fling a rock up and hit somebody , then you will understand why you need insurance . I am not trying to scare you ,as myself and later both my kids started business's in the same way ,but the reality is your playing with fire .

Comment

i understand the risks of not being insured but im just more focused on being licensed

i think this will be my last season or half season of being non licensed

i just want to make sure that i know that this job is worth the legal troubles and i can support the payments i need to make and still be comfortable with my salary.

For indiana filing the paperwork for getting licensed is $90.00
            but insurance will be alot more

im gonna take some time to work through it and understand what im getting myself into more rather than jumping the gun.

i expect to license myself sometime next spring or late this season like september or so.

alot of my customers like the fact im not licensed cause im tax free and a tad cheaper than my competitors because i have virtually no overhead costs.

Comment

Put your mind to getting your own work truck, to me that is more important budget wise.. $$$$$$$........
              A truck assures that you always be able to bring in more business
              and gives you that much needed independence and 'motivation boost'.

Comment

i agree with you getting a truck is my main goal. it will symbolize to me that i have a company and that i need to do my best with it and move on. I have a blazer right now that is my work truck and when ever i take out my girlfriend or go somehwere i dont want to advertise i take my parents car. although i want to get an actual pickup that looks nice and professional.

Comment

$90 sounds pretty damned inexpensive for said "license" if you ask me.

How much do you spend on equipment? I'm betting that $90 is a drop in the bucket in comparison to your other business expenses.

As for insurance, don't be afraid to pick up the phone and ask for quotes.
                  I was surprised to find one place that offered $1,000,000 coverage for $167/yr.
                  (I went with someone else, but still... affordable insurance is obtainable)

Comment

your right 90 isnt alot and it isnt completely the cost issue..its just the hassle..plus if i dont have to pay taxes yet..i want to avoid it..my customers like it too..

next year i will become licensed i will use this year as a foundation to build up to it.

i will grow this year. i have my ambitions set high and nothing will stop me.

Comment

plus if i dont have to pay taxes yet..i want to avoid it..my customers like it too..
                      I forgot the minimum figure and others can jump in here, but I think it is a few hundred dollars of income and you have to file a tax return. Licensed or not. Insured or not.
                      - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
                      Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Working...
                      X