No announcement yet.

New direction?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it is fairly labor intensive and the "pre-made" topdressings are very expensive. Some of large population areas that have this service offered by a few contractors seen to have developed a process just for this service. They have large commercial duty drop spreaders with raking attachment for even distribution and who make their own top dressing.

I am trying to develope a service process for small population areas that will produce dramatic visual results quickly. Market a "Keep up with hte Jone's" attitude at a reasonable cost that instills quality and value added feelings.

Steve
    My cost is $29.80 a yard, I charge clients $49.00 a yard plus labour.
    Andy
    Halifax, Nova Scotia

Comment

Topdressing

[quote=picframer;57121]

I ordered 18 yards, it will be delivered this week and we will cover it with a plastic tarp, for lawns requiring 4 yards or more, we have it delivered. My supplier Kel Anne Organics stores it uncovered.
      Topdressing is not offered in my area except in 2 cu. ft. bags at Lowe's. Very expensive!

I am looking into producing my own, so storage is of prime importance.

The carbon content of South Carolina soil is only about 1% so Browm organic material is important. Leaves and pine needles will supply the carbon if I have enough Green organic mater for the needed nitrogen. I am looking at a 20:1 ratio which will require a 1 part Brown organic matter to a 2 part green organic matter. At 1/4 inch topdressing this will require 0.8 cu. yd. per 1,000 sq. ft. I have almost 3 acres of wooded land with hardwood and pine trees in abundance and have a inexpensive source of cow manure for the misture.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Steve

Comment

[QUOTE=swstout;57210]

Topdressing is not offered in my area except in 2 cu. ft. bags at Lowe's. Very expensive!

I am looking into producing my own, so storage is of prime importance.

Steve
        That would be expensive I suspect.

There are three companies here that make Organic soils so I guess I am fortunate as I don't think I could ever produce enough to cover the lawns we do.

I have seen two of the operations although I haven't asked any detailed questions on how they are making it, I deal with a place called Kel Anne, the owner Mike is a super fellow, when we met in the spring he was telling me they go through something like 50,000 yards of product a season, it's a pretty big operation.

My experience is limited to playing around in my back yard over the years, I know covering it with a tarp in the winter is critical to keep the heat in and it has to be kept moist, not wet.

I'll see if I can find some info from Mike and will email it to you, I talk to him pretty much every day.
        Andy
        Halifax, Nova Scotia

Comment

Thanks

Thanks, I apprediate it,

Steve

Comment

Thanks, I apprediate it,

Steve
            I have been searching for a spreader to speed this process up....OMG $13,000 was the cheapest, this is such a big market here I am going to see if the rental places have anything
            Andy
            Halifax, Nova Scotia

Comment

Spreader

I have been searching for a spreader to speed this process up....OMG $13,000 was the cheapest, this is such a big market here I am going to see if the rental places have anything
              I know I could not use such a spreader as I don't have the population to support that kind kind of volume (only about 7,000). The average size lot here is about 5,000 sq. ft. so I am only talking 4 to 6 yards per job. If I can set up 15-20 jobs for next spring, I should be able to market other services and products.

Mowing jobs here at this time is non-existant. Anyone with a mower is doing it for practically nothing. I am looking for services that other companies don't want to offer!

Steve

Comment

Working...
              X