DIY Attitude

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Attitude

So I hired a web designer and for about 2 years wasn't active at all with my web presence. Well... I recently fired him and was forced to do the redesign myself. Despite knowing nothing and it taking over a month, I did it all myself and I am really, really proud. I'd like to ask you guys to look at it but I don't want to be spammy.

I guess the other thing I wanted to say was that having the right attitude is paramount to success in my opinion. I had no idea what I was doing, but I read a ton of info, and tried and failed a bunch of times, until I felt confident about what I did. If you guys do look at my site, any ideas, criticism or praise, is welcome.

Thanks, Dan.
    Last edited by @Xpert_Service; 10-17-2015, 12:54 PM. Reason: format
    For all your Lawn & Pest Control needs contact the Xperts
    www.X-pertservice.com

DIY Attitude

Did you have a website guy or an SEO guy? Did you rebuild the site or just take over the SEO?

Building the site is the first step if that's what you did. Now it will take the rest of your days to get it to the top and keep it at the top. lol I wish they would just make things easy for us nowadays but they keep making it harder.
    Last edited by SC93; 10-19-2015, 03:48 PM.

Comment

You, my friend, did a hell of a job! I don't say that too often so when I do, you know it was deserved.

The only thing I'd say is to tell what towns/areas you service. Make them each their own page.

Comment

Very impressive! Kudos!
        integritylawnpro.com

Comment

I had a website guy who designed and hosted the site. I had no SEO guy. I am now doing both of those things. I can read html and know how to alter it and get it to respond the way I want to, for the most part. I would explain my html knowledge to someone as being able to read Spanish but not being able to speak it fluently or understand someone speaking it to me. I can't build from scratch but if I have the template of code I can use it.

SEO is complicated. Way more than I ever imagined. lol

Thanks everyone for checking out the site.
          www.X-pertservice.com

Comment

I see more and more of these layouts, but the one downfall to these responsive sites is they don't always react correctly to resized browser windows (see attached screenshot). You'll get text and images shifting here and there and it just looks messy. It looks fine with the browser window at full size.

But aside from that, the layout is clean (i'd personally find a logo with a transparent background so you don't get the box around it). Gets a little "busy" towards the bottom which can be overwhelming to a viewer. Being a generic template it preloads a TON of un-needed Javascript which could effect the page load time. I'd try pull out what I don't need to save bandwidth.

From the SEO side of things, you're missing a few things, and the page title doesn't really help either.

Comment

Your attachment for whatever reason says it's invalid and I should contact an administrator. I am aware though of what I think it would show. From my experience the menu starts overlapping and the page requires a lot of scrolling to get all the way through.

I've been trying to compress and cache and gzip plugin this page to death to try to speed up the load time. I'm at a serious disadvantage having basically just learned how to do any of this. It's funny but at the same time incredibly frustrating. I have no idea how to alter java or css.

Mind telling me what I'm missing for SEO? I've been running all these free tests, some tell me I'm doing good, some tell me I'm doing terrible... I could really use any help you can give. Lol... thanks
              www.X-pertservice.com

Comment

Your attachment for whatever reason says it's invalid and I should contact an administrator. I am aware though of what I think it would show. From my experience the menu starts overlapping and the page requires a lot of scrolling to get all the way through.

I've been trying to compress and cache and gzip plugin this page to death to try to speed up the load time. I'm at a serious disadvantage having basically just learned how to do any of this. It's funny but at the same time incredibly frustrating. I have no idea how to alter java or css.

Mind telling me what I'm missing for SEO? I've been running all these free tests, some tell me I'm doing good, some tell me I'm doing terrible... I could really use any help you can give. Lol... thanks
                Here it is again:

x-pert.jpg

Sorry I meant the description, not the title. Both the title and description should relate to the page content which is probably why you're getting lower scores than expected. The title and description are two of the most important things Google sees (and also displays on search results). Your keywords also repeat the phrase "lawn care" and "pest control" over and over but has no mention of snow / ice removal. Just put what you do first, separated by commas and then the towns you service, such as "lawn care, maintenance, pest control, snow & ice removal, town, town, town.... Do this for the description too. Google will piece them together for search ques, trust me, it's smarter than us. My description and keywordas are actually the same words. My title is just services offered.

You'll have to tinker with the phrases back and fourth to obtain higher scores. I use Visible.nets analyzer among others. They all have different algorithms to score so take each one with a grain of salt.

You'll also notice that the www and non-www versions will sometimes score differently. I haven't been able to figure that one out yet

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X