Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Websites, how long before...

...you can actually find them?

It has been up a few weeks and I made the changes Steve suggested to the title tags. I still have to hunt for the site or be very specific with the title and location and I know what to enter so I can't see how a potential client could possibly find them.

I've had two calls (and at this point in time I feel that is very good considering the lack of exposure) that I believe came from a different source where my website is advertised.

I've submitted to yahoo local and google business local (google was just the past few days).

Is there anything else I should be doing at this point in time or is this just a "wait for it" period?

thanks,

The quickest way to get indexed with the "big 3" is to use their webmaster tools. Google will index you pretty fast this way. Yahoo and Bing don't seem to be in a hurry regardless of what method you use..

Comment

Just keep posting it on free online dictionaries which can help too. I had mine up for a year before I was listed first on Google, yahoo, and Bing. Im sure it can be done faster but I worked at it slowly.

Comment

Where are you ranking now? What page and what position?

What search terms are you using to find your site?

Your site sounds like it is already appearing, it's now a question of improving the search engine optimization of the site.
        - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
        Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

I just checked your site again, and although you've made some changes there's still a lot you need to do.

The very first and foremost is to link the site to a gmail and use Googles webmaster tools. Once you make the gmail, they will give you a verification ID or an html file that goes on the server to identify it's "yours". You can then use the webmaster tool to request a bot crawl. Then make a google+ page. The goal here is to use as many Google products as possible. Link all these on your site.

Your meta description is way too short. Tell Google a bit about you and your business, like "Lawn care services for residential and commercial properties in the Albermarle, Charlottesville, Nelson and Amherst areas". Try to use every town you are willing to service. Think like a customer, not a grass guy. What would you search for when looking for lawn service? Lawn care? Lawn maintenance? Lawn service? Mowing?

You can use this tool to analyze the meta description and keywords based on existing page content. If you make it too long, it will tell you.

http://www.visible.net/tools/analyzer/index.php

Comment

Hey, thanks guys, I appreciate the help. Sales, I know. Webcrap, not so much. This is like a whole new totally confusing world to me but I am learning it bit by bit and piece by piece.

JFC, I looked at that and made some changes based on your suggestions (and the website analysis tool you provided the link for (thanks again).

I noticed that I'm not receiving my emails from the contact us page so I've let yahoo know and maybe they'll let me know something soon. This sucks because I had a contact from a gov't. agency asking me if I'd be interested in bidding on an annual contract for two properties they have in the area with a renewable 3 yr clause in it.

Starting to wish I'd gone with someone other than yahoo for the service. Google already sent me my verification code but yahoo**-, well, that's another issue.

Comment

Good luck getting an answer from Yahoo this decade. This is EXACTLY why I always tell people to just make their own site and just learn as you go. That way when things don't work, you know where to look and what to fix.

Comment

Just keep posting it on free online dictionaries which can help too.
                What is that?

and use Googles webmaster tools.
                Will it tell you what you can improve on like for instance, your meta description is too short? Or will it just tell you what you are doing wrong?
                - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!

Comment

Where are you ranking now? What page and what position?

What search terms are you using to find your site?

Your site sounds like it is already appearing, it's now a question of improving the search engine optimization of the site.
                  Where can I check rankings?

Yeah, somebody is finding it somehow, I got a call from the local Region Ten board (gov't agcy), inviting me to bid on some of their upcoming annual contracts.

The analyzer that JFC linked is good stuff, really helped me with my meta tags.

Comment

It has been up a few weeks and I made the changes Steve suggested to the title tags. I still have to hunt for the site or be very specific with the title and location and I know what to enter so I can't see how a potential client could possibly find them.

I've had two calls (and at this point in time I feel that is very good considering the lack of exposure) that I believe came from a different source where my website is advertised.

I've submitted to yahoo local and google business local (google was just the past few days).

Is there anything else I should be doing at this point in time or is this just a "wait for it" period?

thanks,
                    Always ask where people heard of you from! On page and off page SEO is key too. We showed up on bing within 3 days and on google within 2-3 weeks.

Comment

thanks,
                      also put your website address in your signature line for this forum that way it will post every time that you make a post on the forum that also will help. Be sure to register in every online directory that you can for free that also helps you the more links you have out there linking to your website the better your search rankings will be.
                      http://www.lunchesruslawncare.com

Comment

Where can I check rankings?
                        Can't you simply do a search for your keyword phrase and count on which page and which line you appear on?

Comment

Can't you simply do a search for your keyword phrase and count on which page and which line you appear on?
                          Yes, depending on the phrasing I type in I am getting page one, top third of the page all the way to "where the hello is it".

I'm feeling better about it now, at least it can be found without knowing the whole company name and address. keywords "lawn and garden services", worked well.

The site analyzer still shows some room for improvement, which I'll get around to in the near future. Spending the coming week on ground and pound (aka knocking on doors).

Comment

Sounds like your on the right track! Things have finally started to pick up here with a few 40 degree days. 8 estimates Monday/Tuesday! Take a look at google trends too. See what phrases people like to search when they look for a lawn care company in your area.

Comment

Sounds like your on the right track! Things have finally started to pick up here with a few 40 degree days. 8 estimates Monday/Tuesday! Take a look at google trends too. See what phrases people like to search when they look for a lawn care company in your area.
                              Hey, that's great! Hope they work out well for you.

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X