How valuable is your website?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How valuable is your website?

I've been feeling a bit incompetent that I don't have a website. I don't want to pay a lot of money for someone to build one, and I have no idea how to maintain them. Besides that, I'm not really sure how much business flow I will gain from a website.

How do you feel having a website has benefited you? Have you ever gotten a call from a customer saying "I was google-ing lawn mowing and your website came up"?
    Or do you simply have it because that's what businesses are supposed to have in this day and age? Maybe because it makes you look more professional?

I got a call from this woman yesterday trying to sell me a website. She wasn't a telemarketer or anything. Apparently, she was hired to build a website for another landscaping company, but they backed out, so she's left with a built webpage. She asked me if I wanted to buy it? Of course, she would change the info to be true for me, but she's asking $500.
    I would assume that she was already paid for her work. Website designers probably want the money upfront.

I've seen better, but it's above amateur level. At what price would you think this would be worth it?

Yes. A website is valuable. Very.

Just think, today's phones all have a web browser and that what people use to look stuff up. At work at home at the park getting their hair done, their constantly on their phone. Your loosing out, IMO without one. I picked up a about 7 new customers this year from my website/Google alone. I always ask and take notes of their answer.

Comment

I've been feeling a bit incompetent that I don't have a website. I don't want to pay a lot of money for someone to build one, and I have no idea how to maintain them. Besides that, I'm not really sure how much business flow I will gain from a website.

How do you feel having a website has benefited you? Have you ever gotten a call from a customer saying "I was google-ing lawn mowing and your website came up"?
      Or do you simply have it because that's what businesses are supposed to have in this day and age? Maybe because it makes you look more professional?

I got a call from this woman yesterday trying to sell me a website. She wasn't a telemarketer or anything. Apparently, she was hired to build a website for another landscaping company, but they backed out, so she's left with a built webpage. She asked me if I wanted to buy it? Of course, she would change the info to be true for me, but she's asking $500.
      I would assume that she was already paid for her work. Website designers probably want the money upfront.

I've seen better, but it's above amateur level. At what price would you think this would be worth it?
      That is a template provided by a search engine optimization company. I personally would do one much cheaper then that that is just as high of a quality.
      I am the owner of www.AllOutdoorParts.com an online mower parts distributor. I am also a Briggs Master Service Technician and Expert Certified Mechanic for Kohler. If my posts helps you please like my facebook page at www.facebook.com/alloutdoorparts

Comment

That is a template provided by a search engine optimization company. I personally would do one much cheaper then that that is just as high of a quality.
        That's what I was thinking. So I can buy one from a search optimization company that's already styled a certain way, then just put my pictures, text in?

Comment

I use webs.com I pay about $150 a year...I think. Can't remember though.

It's pretty basic, it covers my services, TONS of places to contact me, discounts, specials, weekly vs. biweekly mowing and pictures. I even put a picture of my wife and I so people can see my face before I show up. By no means is it a top of the line site or cost a lot. It really looks half decent, but gets the job done.

I have google adwords that direct customers to my site. From there I get quite a few calls- 4 in the last 2 days. I'd say its worth it.

Comment

Webs.com or Intuit.com are both easy to use and easy to build website designs sites. I used webs.com with a small company I owned awhile back, I liked it but didn't quite like the feel. After I sold that company, I started my advertising company and designed my website with Intuit, I enjoyed that because there was tons of templates to choose. Its basically just preference, but I like Intuit mainly because they were the company I accepted credit card through, so I had everything I needed through one company. Not that expensive to design and maintain either. Basically once you get it the way you want it, you just go in and update when you want, and they take care of the hosting, etc. I'd get a website pretty quickly though, because it gives you another way to let customers know what you do, and you can get new customers. As I have said before Intuit was like $24 per month I think for what I had which was 5 pages, branded email address, and then the hosting. Experiment with webs.com and intuit.com and see which one you like, if you don't like them you can always have someone design it for you, just trying to help and offer advice.

Comment

I paid for a template online and my hosting is about $30 a year. Very simple to use. I would be more than happy to help you if you find your own hosting and domain registration.

Comment

I use Webs.com. You just have to buy a domain and the template. The template runs like $30ish a year plus the cost of the domain so it totals for me about $70 a year. Check it out here: http://www.bellecitylawncare.com/ . I have done alot of work to it and compaired to most of the companies in my area there are only maybe 1 or 2 websites that are better than mine and they are huge companies.

Thanks!

Comment

My unbiased opinion of websites

You can definitely get by without one.

However, before deciding its worth, it really comes down to what you want your website to be.

You don't just want a website for potential clients to find, but also a website that explains your company information well enough so that you aren't getting annoying hour long phone calls. (that's well worth the cost of a website lol)

You can even get into writing content for your website that your clients/people will read and enjoy, and by sneaking in a few well placed ads from Google Adsense, you can end up making a few dollars.

-

I expect people that call me after viewing my website to know what they want, which saves me time. They see my services and pictures, all they need now is my price.

-

Making a website better than people that sell them is EASY.
                  Just use Google or Youtube and type in, "Html Website Tutorial" and you'll have your custom site running in no time.
                  Learning Curve: 2/5
                  Last edited by CHEESE2009; 04-11-2013, 10:14 AM.

Comment

I think a website is valuable if you can keep it updated. I would look for a wordpress theme that you can get for free and find a lower priced hosting service. Personally I pay something like $5 a month with free website name for hosting. And I am sure I have a much larger site then your looking at.
                    I am the owner of www.AllOutdoorParts.com an online mower parts distributor. I am also a Briggs Master Service Technician and Expert Certified Mechanic for Kohler. If my posts helps you please like my facebook page at www.facebook.com/alloutdoorparts

Comment

I use Webs.com. You just have to buy a domain and the template. The template runs like $30ish a year plus the cost of the domain so it totals for me about $70 a year. Check it out here: http://www.bellecitylawncare.com/ . I have done alot of work to it and compaired to most of the companies in my area there are only maybe 1 or 2 websites that are better than mine and they are huge companies.

Thanks!
                      I actually really like your site! I didn't know webs.com had all those features! Looks like I'll be fixing mine this weekend...you did a great job!

Comment

I think a website is valuable if you can keep it updated. I would look for a wordpress theme that you can get for free and find a lower priced hosting service. Personally I pay something like $5 a month with free website name for hosting. And I am sure I have a much larger site then your looking at.
                        The guys on here selling sites are selling wordpress sites. I could do it but i feel like its a scam. I bet most dont even have a private server or VPS either. Just some cheap reseller hosting.

I had a friend that paid to get a "custom website" he bragged about how great it was. Every time he wanted to change something, add a picture, he would have to pay the guy to do it. Great website buddy!

Comment

The guys on here selling sites are selling wordpress sites. I could do it but i feel like its a scam. I bet most dont even have a private server or VPS either. Just some cheap reseller hosting.

I had a friend that paid to get a "custom website" he bragged about how great it was. Every time he wanted to change something, add a picture, he would have to pay the guy to do it. Great website buddy!
                          So you think it is a scam? Most people only install a theme and tweak it. I on the other hand provide some premium themes, tweak them and I actually write the content. It is all the back end stuff that I do on sites that make them pay for themselves.

Actually, I have been told several times that the site has paid for itself in 30-60 days. More often than not within the first 30 days. The reason that I do use wordpress is so that the customer can make their own changes without having to pay me to do it.

Now if you want to charge $1200 for a site that is 5-10 pages then I would agree with you.

Nope, I do not have a VPS or a private server. Why would I want all my customers on one server? Not going to do that to ME! But to answer your question, most resellers do have a private server or vps as that is how the reseller accounts are set up.
                          Pat

Comment

I think a website alone is worthless, unless people can find it to call you.

It's like having a lawn mower, but no gas to put in it and no lawns to mow.
                            What's the point?

However, if you have a site and the site generates traffic and leads, it's worth A LOT.

Just be careful, some of these "SEO" companies just want to take your money.

Here's something you can do without a website to promote your business online FOR FREE and will generate leads.

You've seen it before, but I can promise you haven't seen it used this way:

1. Create an Ad on Craigslist.
                            2. Title it "YOUR CITY Lawn Service"
                            3. Ad can be whatever you want.
                            4. At the bottom of your ad, insert the following keywords preceded by your city name: YOUR CITY Lawn Service, YOUR CITY Lawn Care, YOUR CITY Commercial Lawn Service, YOUR CITY Commercial Lawn Care
                            5. Verify/post the ad.

Here's the important part:

6. Copy the CRAIGSLIST link that displays your ad
                            7. Go to http://pingfarm.com
                            8. Paste in your craigslist link
                            9. Click "Mass Ping"

Rinse & Repeat only changing the title.

So you'll create a separate ad with each of the keywords in the title, and repeat 6-9:

YOUR CITY Lawn Service
                            YOUR CITY Lawn Care
                            YOUR CITY Commercial Lawn Service
                            YOUR CITY Commercial Lawn Care

Each ad will be optimized for the keyword, and will most likely show up in google results.

You don't need a website, you just need people to be able to find your info online.

I used this exact process, and my ad shows on page 1 in google, you can see here:

go to google.com
                            search natchez lawn service

You'll see a craigslist url on the first page with the title:

Natchez Lawn Service ⎷⎛by The Lawn Boy
                            It's ranked somewhere between 5-7 on page 1 of google, people are finding it and calling.

So, you see, you don't necessarily need a website.
                            Last edited by BLC7; 04-11-2013, 11:34 AM.

Comment

That all depends on the type of client that you are trying to attract. Commercial clients are less likely to go with a craigslist ad.
                              Pat

Comment

Working...
                              X