Website. Yay or Nay?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Website. Yay or Nay?

I will not be legit this year, but should I still create a website? As of right now I am a high school student trying to build his lawn business. Should I make one?

I say why bother ?as your not legal,if the tax man sees it you could be hit hard ,if other legit lawn guys see it they could report you ,basically I dont see an upside for you .

Comment

I say go for it. Check your local/gov laws. But to be a so called "legit" business, the one thing everyone overlooks is revenue. You MUST make a certain $ amount before you can even claim a business as "legit". Let's say your lawn care company only makes 3K, the government looks at it as a hobby. Make sure you keep great records of everything though- just incase they decide to come after you.

Right now, there are thousands of websites in the US that aren't a real business.

Comment

Do it.

Even if you aren't legal, Governments don't focus on websites.

I forget where my source is, but I know they can't do anything unless it clearly states that you are asking for money. Avoid giving prices on your site.

Just show your services, and provide contact info.

Comment

I will be well under 10k this year. I keep a notebook of all transactions. Do you think I will be ok?

Comment

What is keeping you from being 'legit?'
            - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
            Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

My age. I can't get a business license or an insurance policy. The parents aren't going to sign for one.

Comment

you and I are in the same boat. I'm not a 'legit' company right now because then I would have to deal with all kind of things like insurance and taxes. I chose to opt out of the website for me, because I'm pretty sure local governments use the internet I had one to get me going for the first two years, but now I spread by word of mouth...It really depends on where you live. Where I live, my local cops have nothing to do (small ohio town) so they have time for this kind of stuff and need the money from fines. If you already advertise in other ways, go for it because those will getcha too.

Comment

I say go for it. Check your local/gov laws. But to be a so called "legit" business, the one thing everyone overlooks is revenue. You MUST make a certain $ amount before you can even claim a business as "legit". Let's say your lawn care company only makes 3K, the government looks at it as a hobby. Make sure you keep great records of everything though- just incase they decide to come after you.

Right now, there are thousands of websites in the US that aren't a real business.
                  Great stuff!! Thank you sir!
                  Kyle Wyman
                  Owner/Operator
                  North Country Landscapes, LLC
                  sigpic
                  YOUR Hometown lawn care professionals, delivering Fast, Friendly & Professional Services!

Comment

Should I be worried about it? This is what I'm torn on.

Comment

I will be well under 10k this year. I keep a notebook of all transactions. Do you think I will be ok?
                      Use quick books from intuit. It is easy to use, and keeps track of everything. you can get the quick start for free, and give it a try. I upgraded last year, and my tax man said he wished everyone used something this simple.

Comment

no matter what the others say ,YES you should be worried ,you do not want the government sticking their noses in your life ,and when your working under the radar ,you do not want to draw any attention to yourself .A long time ago ,I took some work that another contractor thought was his ,he called on me [I was 12 and hand dug around a neighbours foundation to replace his weeping tile ] ,I ended up paying $4000.00 in fines .I think I earned about $1400.00 for the job .This would of been 1977 !

Comment

Alrighty. Well that's scary.

Comment

For just grass cutting alone, it's no big deal. Don't do anything to alter the clients property because that can get you into trouble.

Focus on pure maintenance. In the worst case scenario, damaging someones lawn is a cheap fix.

Again,

Do:
                            - cut grass
                            - lay sod
                            - seed
                            - topsoil
                            - pick up leaves
                            - trim small hedges, go for bigger if you feel confident
                            - weed flower beds
                            - add stones/mulch to flower beds

Don't:
                            - Dig holes, unless laying sod
                            - Build on and/or construct/alter property (incl: irrigation, beds, window-wells)
                            - Plant plants
                            - Fertilize (grey area; do if you feel confident, avoid destroying the lawn)
                            - Pressure wash
                            - take apart gutters to clear debris

Comment

I wouldn't use a web site I use email fax and a phone and for advertisement I use flyers. Even with a site you have to advertise it to get customers. A big advertisment is truck decals and a nice truck (just on that's clean and looks good)I'm in the same boat I'm only sixteen but I spent a total of 16 hours calling insurance company's one after another to get insurance without my parents signing and eventually I found sia and they have taken care of me ever since when I try to get a commercial property they fax the insurance paperwork for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X