.com

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .com

Alright, so a 'name competitor' just lost his .com website, and I was contacted by email from some random guy at Affordable Domain Sellers to see about buying it.

I own the .ca version.

-

1. Buy the .com, slowly get rid of the .ca

2. Buy the .com and continue to use the .ca

3. Forget about the .com

I like #3 the best. Your thoughts?

I've found that whatever you tell people they still use "dot com" when they type in a URL.

"Hi, my site is dongleflip.net. Look it up and tell me what you think."

"OK, I typed in dongleflip.com and got a pjorno site. What kind of business are you running anyway?"

I choose #2. Just use a domain pointer so that either version goes to your site.
    Boughter's Lawn Care Services Mowing and Fertilizing in New Castle, PA

Comment

I've found that whatever you tell people they still use "dot com" when they type in a URL.

"Hi, my site is dongleflip.net. Look it up and tell me what you think."

"OK, I typed in dongleflip.com and got a pjorno site. What kind of business are you running anyway?"

I choose #2. Just use a domain pointer so that either version goes to your site.

$$$

God dammit. lol. I don't want to put more money into this online world. In time... in time...

Thanks!

Comment

How much do they want for the domain name?

Comment

get the dot come and just forward the CA to it use the same website for both addresses
          Chris Hoeltke
          serving Winchester Virginia and surrounding areas
          C&S Lawn Service

Comment

Get the new .XXX

Comment

Get the new .XXX
              I have heard of that, looking at it right now.

Comment

get the dot come and just forward the CA to it use the same website for both addresses
                If you're going to do that make sure the .com throws a HTTP 301 redirect/moved permanently code. I'd just run them both as the same site.

Comment

.com may be big in the U.S. but is .ca bigger in Canada? Do people in Canada regularly go to .com or .ca?
                  - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
                  Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

I do believe a .com is more popular... However, there are some big companies located all over the world who use .com and .ca to cater to different audiences.

http://www.homedepot.ca/ (Canadian pricing)
                    http://www.homedepot.com/ (American pricing)

It's all very weird. With the above stated, you'd think '.com' would mean it's an American site, but a .com I suppose is used to actually cater to 'everyone'.

Anyway, even I would type www.homedepot.com, forgetting that I would need to check the .ca version.

If someone were to obtain 'gopherforum.ca' it wouldn't be that awful, no one would think to type .ca.

Comment

Scott
                      Stay with the .ca be proud of being Canadian.
                      besides you don't do business outside of Canada so why bother with changing everything to .com ?

Comment

If someone were to obtain 'gopherforum.ca' it wouldn't be that awful, no one would think to type .ca
                        If it were .ca, would we all have to use french? zut alors!
                        - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
                        Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Hahahaha!

I just read today, that .ca will allow websites to use accents on characters.

Comment

get the .com

most people will default to .com as someone else said. I've fond myself doing it all the time. besides, if you buy it, then no one else with your name wil ever get it...you have more flexibility. I know it may be expensive, but think of it as an investment...

Comment

I have gotten two emails now, from;
                              * http://affordabledomainsellers.com/
                              * http://www.fastnametrade.com/

Wouldn't it be easier / cheaper to just contact the host (GoDaddy) of the domain?

The email from 'fast name trade';

Hi,

I'm currently considering selling the domain name XXXXXXXXXXXXXX.com. As you own
                              a very similar domain I was wondering whether you'd like to submit a bid or offer
                              for XXXXXXXXXXXXXX.com.

Warm regards,

Niki
                              So she's currently, "CONSIDERING"? Wtf, lol... Scam or what, trying to act as if it's not in her best interest to sell it to me. HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
                              Last edited by CHEESE2009; 04-01-2012, 07:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X