No announcement yet.

Someone is stealing from me.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As has been mentioned, if you're a sole proprietorship, another guy on the same street operating as a sole proprietorship can register the exact same name as you. (at least in PA)
    I found that the only way to have an "exclusive" name (in this state) was if I were a "company". (LLC, S-Corp, etc)

When I created my name, I located two businesses with the same "first part" (Oak Leaf), but with different "endings" (Lawn Care/Service or Landscaping or Property Management). They were also sole proprietorships and since they were located on the other end of the state, and my exact name was not already taken by an LLC, I went with it. (assuming if I went the route of LLC in the future, I could keep my current name - provided another LLC didn't take it first)
    My name is Oak Leaf Lawn Service.

THEN... just yesterday, I see a guy with a shirt that says "Oak Leaf Landscaping" and the phone number indicated he was relatively local. WTF?
    Nothing at all comes up locally on the state listing of registered business names. All of the ones that are somewhat close to my name are several hundred miles from me, yet here's a guy looking like he's with an established company with nearly the same name as me through no fault of my own.

Hey. I'm not changing it. I did the research - the state approved it - it's registered - done.

As far as the name, and being in different states, I say unless you plan on going big with your operation - I mean REALLY big, it's no big deal.
    As for the questionable website similarities, I'd be pissed too. I'm an artist and I get REALLY bothered when someone claims something I did as their own.

Hope he didn't steal your line about eating the flowers!

Comment

my thought would be do a google search on hungry goats and see how many people have that name hell while your @ it look up J's lawn care there is about 200 company's with that name what makes me stand out from the other 199 company's with that name is that i own this 1 there isn't much you can do but have it copyrighted i tried that with my tattoo shops name it cost a fortune !!!!!!!!!!1 wont do it again

Comment

there isn't much you can do but have it copyrighted i tried that with my tattoo shops name it cost a fortune !!!!!!!!!!1 wont do it again
        Copyright will do absolutely no good. As a matter of fact you would probably be turned down.

For names and such, you need to use either the trademark or servicemark which ever one fits your situation the best. I like using legal zoom for deciding which on fits the situation
        Pat

Comment

Why worry about it? He's in a different state. If he were in the same county, I'd worry. Worry about doing a good job, not him. A good friend of mine has the same visita print card. Cheesey.

Comment

Why worry about it? He's in a different state. If he were in the same county, I'd worry. Worry about doing a good job, not him. A good friend of mine has the same visita print card. Cheesey.
            I worry about it because I don't want to just own a job, I want to own a business.
            Hungry Goat Lawn Service, Deltona, FL

Comment

Working...
            X