Website and Facebook Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Website and Facebook Question

First off I dont know if I picked the right topic to post this in. But here goes.

I am trying to find a place to host a website and I have no idea where to begin with it. What do you all suggest? Does having a website w/ just starting up really help out or should you build before doing a website?

And as far as Facebook goes, how do you all go about getting a possible client list built up on there? Adding people you know and having them suggest people or find local people and start adding everyone?

thanks for any help.

Eric

Funny. I was just thinking of starting a thread on the subject of web hosting.

I know nothing about websites/hosting. I've been looking into it over the last week, and the only thing I can suggetst is that you read the fine print - IF there IS fine print.

I've noted that many of the great "deals" offered on hosting sites are just "fist month" or "first year" prices.

ONLY $3.49/mo!!!

Yeah, if you sign up for a three year contract, AND you pay it all up front. (Just one example - not all like this)

So far, I'm looking at ipage and Hostgator. I was considering 1and1, but someone suggested staying away from them.
    Whoever you look at, ASK QUESTIONS first. I've found that none of the ones I've looked at have pricing info anywhere that can be found. I think it's very deceptive, but seems to be "the norm".

It's all so confusing.
    Here's a web hosting "review" site.

Comment

The majority of hosting providers are resellers of registrar services.

Personally I host all my sites at GoDaddy. If they are not on the list of registrars for ICANN I would skip them. Just my preference.

As far as when to build the site, why wait to build later because it is a tool for you to build your business. As far a ROI it is the best advertising method that you can use.
      Pat

Comment

thats alot of the problems I was running into, I did see a few w/ prices like $499 for basic package and went all the way up to $3000 for the premium stuff...

I will take a look at the places you put on here and see what they are like. thanks for the info

What about web designs, did you go with a template or have someone do that for you?

Comment

And as far as Facebook goes, how do you all go about getting a possible client list built up on there? Adding people you know and having them suggest people or find local people and start adding everyone?
          I know we talk about facebook quite a bit on here but is anyone tracking their calls to see if any are coming in due to their facebook site?
          - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
          Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

I can confirm that facebook works. I just put Search Engine Tweaks.com online and I have already gotten requests for SEO services through my site from facebook friends.
            Pat

Comment

What is the Tweaks.com and how does that work?

Comment

LOL here is the link.... http://www.searchenginetweaks.com
                Pat

Comment

The majority of hosting providers are resellers of registrar services.

Personally I host all my sites at GoDaddy. If they are not on the list of registrars for ICANN I would skip them. Just my preference.

As far as when to build the site, why wait to build later because it is a tool for you to build your business. As far a ROI it is the best advertising method that you can use.
                  Forgive my noobness, but if one is a "REseller, I assume that makes them sort of a "middleman". If I want to skip the middleman, who do I buy hosting from?
                  Or does it not matter if I use a hosting reseller?

I don't know what the "list of registrars for ICANN" MEANS, but I Googled it and found this.
                  What makes these hosting services more desirable than those not on this "list"?

Any insight would be appreciated.

FYI I need to register a domain name as well, so I was figuring I'd wait until I decide on a hosting provider to use and do it all at the same time.
                  I note that some offer free domain reg. with hosting services, and when reading the fine print, it sounds complicated to transfer domain registration from one hosting provider to another. (But that's just my take on it as a web noob)

Comment

I hosted through godaddy and then got the website through weebly.com. Only $3.99 a month and they provide templates and it was very easy to create website.

Matt

Comment

Forgive my noobness, but if one is a "REseller, I assume that makes them sort of a "middleman". If I want to skip the middleman, who do I buy hosting from?
                      Or does it not matter if I use a hosting reseller?

I don't know what the "list of registrars for ICANN" MEANS, but I Googled it and found this.
                      What makes these hosting services more desirable than those not on this "list"?

Any insight would be appreciated.

FYI I need to register a domain name as well, so I was figuring I'd wait until I decide on a hosting provider to use and do it all at the same time.
                      I note that some offer free domain reg. with hosting services, and when reading the fine print, it sounds complicated to transfer domain registration from one hosting provider to another. (But that's just my take on it as a web noob)
                      I am going to use the deregulation of the phone companies as an example.

You live in an area that is the territory of BellSouth but MCI is giving you the better deal so you buy your service from MCI but a BellSouth technician comes out to install the line because MCI is leasing it from them.

Everything is fine until there is an issue. You call BellSouth, they are the ones that did the install right? and they tell you sorry you have to call MCI. You now call MCI and they say it is a BellSouth problem. So you hang up and call BellSouth and they tell you they can't help you because MCI has to open the trouble ticket as they are the owner. Hours, days or even weeks go by with everyone pointing the finger at the other and nobody is at fault.

After all the crap, 2 weeks later a BellSouth technician shows up at the house to fix the wires that were laying on the ground because of a squirrel and these are the same wires that you told them about on the phone.

Well now the phone is finally fixed, 2 weeks after you first told them the wires were laying on the ground.

This really did happen to my sister in-law.

Say you went with a reseller of GoDaddy services. Well you have to deal with that reseller instead of going to godaddy direct.

I see a lot of you going with the cheap hosting. Yes you have to cut expenses whenever you can but think about this.

Say the hosting costs $10 per month for ease of math. That is $120 per year. How much did you just spend at Kinkos printing out your flyers? A web site is the best ROI of any advertising that you will do. If you go cheap, the site will look cheap and the customers will think you are cheap. How many sites have you seen that have the same if not similar template and are only 5 pages because you went with the cheap hosting. If you can not afford $120 per year for hosting instead of the $3.99 door hanger special or the FREE hosting, you need to park the gear and get a job because you will probably be one of the business statistics.

Are there better hosting services than Godaddy.... Probably but I an happy with them.
                      Pat

Comment

Any opinion on Bluehost?

Special $3.95/mo (2 or 3 yr plan)

Free domain that is "yours to take" for as long as you host with them.

I've been researching/chatting with them all evening, and they seem legit. A lot of the others I've looked at have been sneaky with the rates - one price shown, but they don't tell you that it has "strings attached".

I'm about to sign up, so let me know if you can think of a reason not to!

Comment

I purchased my own domain www.duckfoot.ca for $28.00 a year and i host it on CanHost for 128.00 for two years.

Comment

First off, I haven't seen any host better than x10hosting.com - IT IS ABSOLUTELY FREE WITH NO ADS AND UNLIMITED BANDWIDTH. I registered my domain with netfirms.com. Super easy, super cheap... like $8.

As for your website, I hope you know some HTML or Joomla or something, because I would hate to pay someone to design a website, when there are so many ways to get it done for free, you just need a little know-how.

http://www.stevensonlawncare.com

Comment

As for your website, I hope you know some HTML or Joomla or something, because I would hate to pay someone to design a website, when there are so many ways to get it done for free, you just need a little know-how.
                              My point is made about going cheap.

Sorry but the site is too much of a cookie cutter site. Your site name even blends into the header photo.

You only have one chance to make an impression and you can not take that impression back. The look of your site says cheap and more than likely the guy that owns the 1/2 million dollar home will call someone else.

You get dressed up when you go for a job interview right? Your web site is going to the job interview for you so it must stand out to get noticed.

The site may look ok but the SEO on it is drastically lacking. Hell there is only one company that has their site on the front page in Gulfport. Yours does not even show up in the first 10 pages.

I am going to start a test tonight and see what happens.... Will let you all know. This is going to be fun.... It is now 10 pm MST
                              Pat

Comment

Working...
                              X