No announcement yet.

Feedback please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've made lots of webpages with AP Div tags and never had an issue in dreamweaver what issues have you had.

Comment

I've made lots of webpages with AP Div tags and never had an issue in dreamweaver what issues have you had.
      Show me one of your pages and I'll show you is something is wrong with position:absolute;. It's rarely necessary and usually detrimental.
      Boughter's Lawn Care Services Mowing and Fertilizing in New Castle, PA

Comment

Also mark how did you get you pics that pop up all nice like that when you click on them? thats great. Any suggestion on tags and coding? I am starting my site in the next week or so. thanks !

Comment

Also mark how did you get you pics that pop up all nice like that when you click on them? thats great. Any suggestion on tags and coding? I am starting my site in the next week or so. thanks !
          Google around for "lightbox". That's the old version so you'll probably want to look for a jQuery plugin that does something similar.

Here are a few tips for beginners: http://imaginekitty.com/steps-to-bui...oper-web-page/

Comment

I wanted to bring this topic back up and perhaps offer a few more tips. My point of not using absolute positioning unless you know what you're doing (and if you did know what you're doing you wouldn't use it ) brings up another issue. Every time I point it out everyone says "well, it looks fine on my computer". I say that's fine if you are making a web site for yourself. I make my sites for the viewer, not for myself.

You just can't assume that everyone has your browser or even your browser settings, even if you have default settings. You also can't assume that everyone can see or hear as you do.

I find that the use of absolute positioning on web pages shows a little bit of "control freak". You want to control what the end user sees but that's not what web pages are about. Let go a little bit and give the end user the choice of manipulating the pages to their own comfort level. Don't force them into your mold.

Also, in the name of all that is Holy, don't make me listen to music on your site. The default option for background sounds is OFF and the default option for videos is PAUSED. Let me choose if I want thrash metal blasting through my speakers at 2 am. Thanks.

Comment

IS that the only reason you say not to use AP div tags. I do it because i can simply draw a website. I took some design in college and some HTML but I know little CSS. So I draw and add pictures. I have noticed that they don't validate when drawn in Dreamweaver. I also make the site for the viewer but I hate coding and don't want to pay someone to make a webpage for me.

I will agree your webpage is one of the best I've seen.

I agree about the music and videos I hate when they start playing and blare out of my speakers.

Comment

IS that the only reason you say not to use AP div tags. ...
                It's a pretty compelling reason but no, it's not the only reason. Removing main content from the normal document flow and having no good reason to do it are some other reasons. So far there has been no valid argument for doing it. Not learning a correct technique is not a valid argument in my opinion.

Your statement about not wanting to pay for someone to code your site is somewhat valid considering a lot of "pros" out there are simply people that happen to own dreamweaver. The field is saturated with people that would do a terrible job and still be happy to take your cash. My first step in picking a web design firm is to go to their site and run it through the w3 validator (http://validator.w3.org). If it fails then pass on their services.
                Last edited by mark123; 01-23-2011, 03:21 PM.

Comment

... I agree about the music and videos I hate when they start playing and blare out of my speakers.
                  You ain't kidding. It seriously happened to me. Someone was touting their new business site on a forum and I checked it out one night when I couldn't sleep. THRASH METAL!!!! at 2am. It's just intrusive. Blah!

Comment

So far there has been no valid argument for doing it. Not learning a correct technique is not a valid argument in my opinion.
                    A valid reason, it's fast, easy and I can make it look good quick. I'm busy time is money. Spending time learning to code websites is not a valid use of my time.

seriouly whats your deal with coding. LOL If it look good does it really matter?

Comment

A valid reason, it's fast, easy and I can make it look good quick. I'm busy time is money. Spending time learning to code websites is not a valid use of my time.
                      Well, if its the wrong way to do it shouldn't I mention it to those that don't know better? It's helping, not insulting. You did ask for feedback, right?

seriouly whats your deal with coding.
                      It's what I do. I'm giving a professional opinion.

LOL If it look good does it really matter?
                      That's like saying "if I paint my grass green and kill it but it looks good, does it really matter?" My philosophy on web coding may differ from yours but it's been developed over the past 14 years. Don't my screen shots show that absolute positioning can do harm to your site?

Comment

Well, if its the wrong way to do it shouldn't I mention it to those that don't know better? It's helping, not insulting. You did ask for feedback, right?
                        I'm not upset at all. It's hard to tell from the text only

It's what I do. I'm giving a professional opinion.

I thought you did lawn care, do you sell webdesign too?LOL
                        That's like saying "if I paint my grass green and kill it but it looks good, does it really matter?" My philosophy on web coding may differ from yours but it's been developed over the past 14 years. Don't my screen shots show that absolute positioning can do harm to your site?
                        I didn't see your screen shots. But I did see on some news stations the new thing in hot climates is to paint your dead grass green some lawn care cares offer the service. NO JOKE they really do. LMAO

Oh yeah, I don't have a philosophy on web coding, I'm a landscaper LOL.

I was thinking about learning a little to make my site. But I just want to build my site, I don't want to spend a year learning to code webpages. So I will probably paint the grass green so to speak.

Like the saying goes when life gives you lemons you paint that $hit gold.

Comment

I just discovered that they use a colorant (ahem? paint) on the NFL football fields. I'm so disillusioned! http://www.beckerunderwood.com/en/products/GL1home
                          Oh, well.

If I can help you or others do one thing better then I feel accomplished.

Comment

DC Mowing website

I like the symmetry and simplicity, and think maybe you were going for a subtle, professional impression with the color scheme. As a layman, I can't see any imbalances, but maybe the site would show up differently on different computers/browsers. Great website!

Comment

Working...
                            X