New Logo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Logo

What's up good people, it's been a while since I last posted and I would like your input (likes/dislikes) on my new logo that a friend of mine designed.

Also, what is a good place for building websites? Ive played around with Vistaprint and Weebly, but I'm not too comfortable with how it looks so far. http://www.blcservice.com is the most recent website Ive done using vistaprint. What do you think? To me it seems bland and needs some "pop" if you know what I mean. All help is greatly appreciated.
    Attached Files

Bob here is an idea for your logo. A logo should be clean and easily recognizable. Too much effects can actually hinder readability and visibility. Here is a quick idea I came up with. By no means is it a ready to go logo but it will show some of what I am talking about.
    Attached Files

Comment

^^^ Exactly.

How "nice" a logo looks to the untrained eye is irrelevant.
      It must be quick to identify and easy to read at any size.

This logo looks great at the size viewed here, but I think you'll have problems on small items, and then there's the whole issue of converting that to use with limited color applications.

If the person who designed it didn't do so already, have them make that into different versions. (B&W, 1 color, 2 color, Reverse)

Comment

I'm loving your website. I have no words to say, just, wow!

Good for you man!

Your logo looks like some effort went into it. Good stuff.
        ////////////////////

The truth is, everyone has a different opinion. A logo with too much might not be memorable - however, we are in lawn maintenance - your logo stands out from your competitors! Keep it.

Comment

here you go bob.

I was bored... lol

I didn't give your logo a white background unfortunatly...

either way, it's 8.5" x 11" = size of good ol' fashioned paper....
          Attached Files

Comment

^^^ Exactly.

How "nice" a logo looks to the untrained eye is irrelevant.
            It must be quick to identify and easy to read at any size.

This logo looks great at the size viewed here, but I think you'll have problems on small items, and then there's the whole issue of converting that to use with limited color applications.

If the person who designed it didn't do so already, have them make that into different versions. (B&W, 1 color, 2 color, Reverse)
            I'll ask him to do this today. I will post them when he emails them to me.

Comment

Bob here is an idea for your logo. A logo should be clean and easily recognizable. Too much effects can actually hinder readability and visibility. Here is a quick idea I came up with. By no means is it a ready to go logo but it will show some of what I am talking about.
              I can see where you're coming from about readability and visibility. I'm going to get him to do some different variations of it to get some different looks. I like your design by the way.

Comment

here you go bob.

I was bored... lol

I didn't give your logo a white background unfortunatly...

either way, it's 8.5" x 11" = size of good ol' fashioned paper....
                Thanks man I like it! I'm really digging the logo he designed, i just wonder if the "lawn care service" at the top is too small..?

Comment

Whether designing a logo or a sign the same holds true. Your potential customer only has so long to get your message. This is not an opinion this is solid fact. You can have a design that stands out but if it loses readability it fails to its job. Give what you have now the thumbnail test or the squint test. Look at it on the screen what is the first thing you see in the thumbnail below your post. You can just make out bob's. Unless your business is well established and the first thing people think of when they hear the name bob's is think of what you do then it is ok. Rule of thumb unless it is a well established company what you do is more important than your name.

by no means am i trying to ruffle feathers, just giving some professional advice. When designing a logo or anything first design in black and white. If it works in black and white then add color and effects but no more than 1 or 2 effects. color and effects are meant to add to a design not take away from it.

Comment

Oh I really like your logo designs!

A logo should be clean and easily recognizable. Too much effects can actually hinder readability and visibility.
                    What is your view on how best to judge when there is TOO much effect in a logo?

Do you feel a logo should be able to be reproduced using only a minimal amount of colors? Or what's your view on all that?
                    - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
                    Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Oh I really like your logo designs!
                      What is your view on how best to judge when there is TOO much effect in a logo?
                      when readability suffers, then that is to much. general rule is usual only one or two. Look at some of the big corporations, they do not rely on pretty effects to get their brand image across. Small business owners can get by with a little more.

Do you feel a logo should be able to be reproduced using only a minimal amount of colors?
                      Colors used should create harmony. I start designing anything whether a logo or a sign in black and white, if it works this way then it is good design. Some things you have your logo put on does count the number of colors used. You want to make sure your logo works as a one or two color design. Tshirt decorators charge you by the number of colors, each color constitutes them making an extra screen. Some places charge as much as 40.00 per screen in addition to the printing and tshirts. If your message can be printed in a single clor ink with the shirt providing the second color then you are charged for one screen fee. If your design has to be three or for colors to get your design to be seen then it can cost you an extra 40 to 160.00 for your shirts.
                      Or what's your view on all that?
                      You can get by with multiple colors as long as it is done correctly. You have to think about what uses you are going to use your logo for. There is times when you need two logos one for regular print and then another for small print. Sometimes a logo can look really good at normal size but then when you make it small it loses all readability.

Thanks for the questions. I will help as much as I can.

Comment

omg

Why do all you guys say that everyone's logos look nice when they don't? Neither of the designs presented on this thread look good. One looks cartoonish and the other looks like it was obviously made by someone who doesnt know what they're doing.

Here's a word of advice. Hire a graphic designer to make your logo. For the couple hunderd you'll spend, you'll actually make yourself look more legit.

I attached mine below. I just started this year, handed out less than 400 flyers and I'm getting calls everyday. Way more than the 1% that people have suggested on this site. This site has a lot of good info, but I question what some people have been posting here.

Attached is a mock design. Disregard the website as this was on my first proof and I have decided to not do a site just yet.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by kingcutslv; 03-23-2011, 04:42 PM.

Comment

First of all King, I am a professional. I am a professional sign maker. Secondly the logo I posted took a total of 3 minutes to put together. It is by no means a finished product. It was meant to show him an illustration what I was talking about. Third your logo is a simple font manipulation, without a graphic element. I find that the info at the bottom of your card gets lost in the graphics of the card, but this is just my opinion.

Comment

To be fair, he makes a good point. I see some amateurish, to downright bad designs that get high praises.

There may be several reasons for this, first being the fact that many people don't honestly know what is and isn't good design work. Some just post to be supportive, which is understandable, but not always helpful.
                            For the latter, it is better to point out potential issues, than to allow the person to move forward, spending their hard earned money on promotional pieces that may need to be reordered after finding a flaw in their original design.

The problem is that not everyone has an eye for this sort of thing and that's why it's not always the best idea to ask a bunch of "lawn people" what they think of a logo with a "grass" design in it. 9 times out of ten they will like it no matter how good or bad it is because it has "grass" in it.

Hell, I'm a graphic designer and I had to tweak my own logo after someone here pointed out a potential "flaw" in it.

Getting back to the OP's logo... what was stated earlier about "starting" with a black and white design is sound design advice. So long as your logo can work well like that, a more "fancy" VERSION (like the full color/detailed image first shown) of it is acceptable - IF it's used appropriately.
                            It's always good to have different versions for different applications.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Comment

First of all King, I am a professional. I am a professional sign maker. Secondly the logo I posted took a total of 3 minutes to put together. It is by no means a finished product. It was meant to show him an illustration what I was talking about. Third your logo is a simple font manipulation, without a graphic element. I find that the info at the bottom of your card gets lost in the graphics of the card, but this is just my opinion.

Whether its a simple font manipulation or not, I think it looks pretty damn good and better than most of the stuff I've seen here. Not saying I'm the greatest here at all, but it's a simple logo that works well.

If you want to call font manipulation, fine, go ahead, I don't care.

Second, the wording in my grass was eliminated, hence when I talked about this being an initial proof.

All I said before was that people are praising anything and patting people on the back for bad work. I'm telling the guy that his logo wasn't any good. So, go and shoot the messenger.

Comment

Working...
                              X