Interbase support?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interbase support?

Is it possible to run the InterBase database management software on another host? I've got another machine (solaris or freebsd) machine that runs some of my other database management softwares. I was exploring Gopher and saw that you can select the database itself, but you cannot change the Server it writes to.

I did some research and i'm pretty sure i'll be able to build interbase on Solaris (ideally) or definitely FreeBSD. I trust my security on my unix machines far more than i do on my windows machine. As well as my HD's in my servers are built for teh long haul, while my office machine is just a laptop with hardware problems.

Hi BSDeality,
    * We too would trust a Unix box over a Windows machine anyday. *While Interbase is available for Unix, Gopher needs its Interbase server to run on a Windows machine because Interbase calls on several external functions which we have only written for Windows. *Interbase's ability to run on Linux was one of the reasons we chose it. *While we may pursue some unix support in the future, we don't have any immediate plans to port those required external functions. *But if there is more interest in it then we will look into it more closely.
    Best regards,
    Team Gopher

Comment

a-o-k. i was just curious, i highly doubt there is enough of a demand to warrent re-writing the code to allow for a unix server use.

thanks for the answer.

Comment

Working...
      X