No announcement yet.

It may just be over

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You see, Let entertain this for a minute off of that number "12.50" @3,000 per month divided by that would be 240 divide that into 4 weeks @5 days per week and it puts me at 12 jobs per day before I can consider leaving my day job. Lets say it took 30 minutes per job, I would be working after work for 5 hours per day meaning when I get home at 3PM I would be working until 8pm, now I have no problem working but as you know the sun is going to bed at 6pm meaning I will be mowing lawns for 2 hours in the dark by flashlight I don't know about you but I would fire someone if they showed up at my house at 8PM to mow my lawn.

Now you look at the numbers I shoot for and I only need 7 jobs per day to go full time meaning I am only working until 6-6:30PM which while still being late in my book is far better.

Maybe I should get into real estate? LOL
    White Company

Comment

That job is a bad example because it is a postage stamp yard. Not the type of job you want to base your business plan on, but would still be profitable. That yard only takes 15 min. thats $50 per hour - whats the problem? and yes you will need to do 10- 15 jobs per day, 5 days a week to make $$$ in this business.

When I was doing residential, I did 70+ lawns. Some were postage stamps and some were 3 or 4 hours a week and I did them by myself - no employees!

the problem is that if you need to make 3,000 in order to quit your job, that will never happen. you might be able to build it up to 1,000 per month or so but then when you quit, youll have to live on that 1,000 until you build it up to 3,000 which may take a year or two. the other alternative would be to buy an existing route, if you can find one.
      OrganicKen.com

Comment

the problem is that if you need to make 3,000 in order to quit your job, that will never happen.
        Which is exactly why I am leaving this business. Shoot I make more money on YouTube now than anything ells and I actually enjoy that, Never have to deal with customers as well lol
        White Company

Comment

I guess on a bright note, I have some super sweet equipment to work on my own yard with.
          White Company

Comment

Anyone ells want to chime in? It's been a while.
            White Company

Comment

Give it up, with that attitude, you will not make it

Comment

I tried to help him, but he stopped emailing me.

My advice- hang up the boots, bro. Move on.

Comment

With what attitude? The one that wants to actually make money?

Lawnboy, I never heard back from you after our last exchange via email.
                  White Company

Comment

After three years, you will learn enough to make the fourth year count.

The first year is just a total mind-fck, so much information is being processed.

The second year, you begin putting things into practice, avoiding the mistakes of year one.

The third year, you know how things should be, and how to run the ideal company... but there is not enough time to prepare for the season.

The fourth year is where you make money, and put final touches on how your company should operate.

-

In my time, I've learned many things that helped me improve:

Year 1
                    I learned that people generally suck, everyone is cheap and willing to take advantage of me to receive a lower cost. My ads sucked, and I didn't put in enough effort (I just didn't know where to start).

Year 2 (worst year)
                    I realized my mistakes from year one. I avoided all crap work, and put my foot down and denied service for those who refused to pay on time. It was a bad year, I became 'Hitler' of lawn maintenance. If you missed a payment, you were dead to us. People panicked, and we got rid of a LOT of business. I was generally happier without the headaches, but I had no money.

Year 3.
                    I realized my mistakes from year 2... I didn't want to lose business by firing ignorant clients like last year, so I had them all pre-pay with post-dated cheques. I no longer had to chase them around for money, or worry!

Because they were all forced to pay properly, I had less stress. I didn't cut lawns thinking, "I'm wasting my time, I'm probably not going to get paid for this"... Instead, the passion for my work came back!!! I felt great cutting grass again, and this made me feel better as a businessman. I was now willing to go after more work.

Year 4 is all about perfecting year 3. Knowing something is working, at taking advantage of it!
                    Completely Agree Cheese! You must know your prices before stepping foot on any property. Your mindset should be second nature when estimating any job! Soon you will be at a point where you can actually pick and choose clients, you will know who are going to be the good payers.
                    08 F250 Ext Cab/04 Chevy 3500
                    05 F350/04 F350 Diesel/12 Ram 4500 Dump
                    4 -60 Toro Zmaster/Lesco 48
                    3 -8'2" Boss V-Plows
                    1- Hiniker 9'6" V-Plow
                    20' Enclosed trailer
                    18' Skid & 16' Open Trailer
                    2012 - S185 Bobcat

Comment

Completely Agree Cheese! You must know your prices before stepping foot on any property. Your mindset should be second nature when estimating any job! Soon you will be at a point where you can actually pick and choose clients, you will know who are going to be the good payers.
                      He did hit on some good points, my 2nd year was full of non paying clients who were great payers the first year. I am a little confused as to where to go now though, I have virtually no business and next year will be my 4th. Do I start fresh like it is the first year or try to make it my 4th and first profitable year?
                      White Company

Comment

Do I start fresh like it is the first year or try to make it my 4th and first profitable year?

Well, I hate to sound like your 3rd grade school teacher, but yes! ! If this is something you have a real love & passion for, Start over!
                        Take the past 3 seasons and learn from them. I cannot guarantee your success, but Hansens Lawn Care (Now a True Friend through this endeavor)has provided for his family after this season ~ Truly his first real season in business!

Do not get me wrong, your market may be different than ours, but clearly you see other companies making it in your area, right? So WTF can't u?

The offer still stands man regarding your website...you just pay for hosting and your domain and I will help you SEO the iiiiiiiiiiiiisssssssssshhhhhh out of it! !! This winter will be perfect for this!

Do not take this the wrong way either, but stop playing thumb war with yourself and accept that you are at a cross roads and most people will NOT offer you anything FREE!

If you are not willing to work as hard or harder than me, then forget it!
                        08 F250 Ext Cab/04 Chevy 3500
                        05 F350/04 F350 Diesel/12 Ram 4500 Dump
                        4 -60 Toro Zmaster/Lesco 48
                        3 -8'2" Boss V-Plows
                        1- Hiniker 9'6" V-Plow
                        20' Enclosed trailer
                        18' Skid & 16' Open Trailer
                        2012 - S185 Bobcat

Comment

Thank you, I think I can deal with a fresh start, especially not being as "stupid" as I was on year one it will help progress faster. A question though, do you think charging $20 to mow, edge and blow is to much as was stated earlier? The biggest problem I have faces is pricing, sometimes I am worried I am not going to make a profit and others I am worried the price sounds to high. Are there any calculators out there "Specifically for an android phone" that can be used right on site to give prices? It would be great to use my wheeled tape, punch in a few numbers and give a price right on the spot.

I find a good deal of people "maybe 90%" call several people for prices and usually its the first one that give a number that gets the job, a lot of jobs have been lost in the middle while figuring numbers out, meanwhile someone spits out a price and gets the job, maybe they will make money or maybe they wont. this is one reason while for anything under a 1/4 acer I just spit out $20 for basic service. As I am sure you know doing this can bring in great profits for some yards but kill you with other yards depending on obsticals exc exc.

Well, I hate to sound like your 3rd grade school teacher, but yes! ! If this is something you have a real love & passion for, Start over!
                          Take the past 3 seasons and learn from them. I cannot guarantee your success, but Hansens Lawn Care(Now a True Friend through this endeavor)has provided for his family after this season ~ Truly his first real season in business!

Do not get me wrong, your market may be different than ours, but clearly you see other companies making it in your area, right? So WTF can't u?

The offer still stands man regarding your website...you just pay for hosting and your domain and I will help you SEO the iiiiiiiiiiiiisssssssssshhhhhh out of it! !! This winter will be perfect for this!

Do not take this the wrong way either, but stop playing thumb war with yourself and accept that you are at a cross roads and most people will NOT offer you anything FREE!

If you are not willing to work as hard or harder than me, then forget it!
                          White Company

Comment

Your gonna have a hard time finding a job when doing a 1/4 acre for $20.

I found out in year 1 and a little in year 2, that if you bid low your considered cheap and inexperienced. The customer thinks do they know what there doing? The last guy charged double.

In your mind you might be thinking that they went with someone cheaper but thats not true. Everyone wants something affordable but they also want quality trouble free service. If you can sell that your twice as better then the next guy at about the same price youll always get the job.

Comment

Your gonna have a hard time finding a job when doing a 1/4 acre for $20.

I found out in year 1 and a little in year 2, that if you bid low your considered cheap and inexperienced. The customer thinks do they know what there doing? The last guy charged double.

In your mind you might be thinking that they went with someone cheaper but thats not true. Everyone wants something affordable but they also want quality trouble free service. If you can sell that your twice as better then the next guy at about the same price youll always get the job.
                              Well said.

Comment

I think I can deal with a fresh start, especially not being as "stupid" as I was on year one it will help progress faster.
                                What were some of the mistakes you feel were stupid?
                                - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
                                Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Working...
                                X