Truck in Shop - Out of Commission

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truck in Shop - Out of Commission

On Mon, my truck started making a bad noise in the front. I was already scheduled to have it inspected on Tues (as that's one of my "off/light" days), but after hearing the noise, I decided to only do the remaining jobs on the way back home and skip the few that were a ten mile drive - no sense risking it.

As luck would have it, a brake line blew about half a mile from home. The pedal went mushy and having had the same thing happen once before, I knew what was happening. Fortunately I was able to get it (with trailer) backed into my drive (on a hill) without rolling into my neighbor's house.

The shop is half a mile away and I was able to drive it there Tues morning to have it looked at.
    The noise: Front wheel bearing (the other one was replaced several months ago)
    The brake line: Blew in rear. One section was replaced 2 years ago with recommendation to have others changed due to deterioration. Time went on and I forgot about it.
    Due to location of the one blown, replacing it without damaging others may prove difficult. Since all are looking "iffy", and I don't want to lose my brakes again, I gave the OK to replace anything that "needs" replacing.

More brakes: Front calipers and hoses need replaced. Yay.
    I expected brakes and rotors, as it eats rotors, but not this time around.

Add in the wheel bearing, oil change, inspection/emission and I'm looking at around $1,400 and it won't be ready until Thurs eve. (And they are pushing me ahead of others because they know I need my truck to make money)

Subtract for lost mowing wages for two days and this blows royally.
    I considered renting a truck for a day (thurs), but I don't think it's worth the hassle and added cost for the truck/gas for the few lawns it will keep me on schedule with.

This is the longest I've been without my vehicle (out of commission for one day before this) and it sucks.
    Prepare accordingly. If you don't have a plan for a situation like this, you may want to consider one.

Sorry to hear that. it does suck but at least you get your truck back fairly soon. My rear end went in my Silverado 2500 last year. it took 2 weeks and cost about $2 grand with new brake lines and such. I guess it can always be worse.

Comment

Sorry to hear that. it does suck but at least you get your truck back fairly soon. My rear end went in my Silverado 2500 last year. it took 2 weeks and cost about $2 grand with new brake lines and such. I guess it can always be worse.
      Yeah, initially they were talking sometime next week, but it's a mom & pop garage and they tend to do what they can to work with people. He's gotten me in and out quickly (with the wife's car as well) while doing only what is necessary to keep costs down on a few occasions.

I'd have been a long time customer, but I've always had new vehicles with warranties from the dealer and never needed his services until about two years ago.

The truck is a 2001 Silverado (with only 55,000 miles) purchased new and thus far the only repairs have been one section of brake line two years ago, one front wheel bearing a few months ago, and a few sets of brakes and rotors.
      Oh, and while under warranty, a power mirror wire was replaced.

Comment

You should order the stainless steel brake lines. There pre bent. You just connect and bleed the lines. There only about $150. Thats the same price the shop will charge you for the $30 of line with 400% mark up.

Comment

On Mon, my truck started making a bad noise in the front. I was already scheduled to have it inspected on Tues (as that's one of my "off/light" days), but after hearing the noise, I decided to only do the remaining jobs on the way back home and skip the few that were a ten mile drive - no sense risking it.

As luck would have it, a brake line blew about half a mile from home. The pedal went mushy and having had the same thing happen once before, I knew what was happening. Fortunately I was able to get it (with trailer) backed into my drive (on a hill) without rolling into my neighbor's house.

The shop is half a mile away and I was able to drive it there Tues morning to have it looked at.
          The noise: Front wheel bearing (the other one was replaced several months ago)
          The brake line: Blew in rear. One section was replaced 2 years ago with recommendation to have others changed due to deterioration. Time went on and I forgot about it.
          Due to location of the one blown, replacing it without damaging others may prove difficult. Since all are looking "iffy", and I don't want to lose my brakes again, I gave the OK to replace anything that "needs" replacing.

More brakes: Front calipers and hoses need replaced. Yay.
          I expected brakes and rotors, as it eats rotors, but not this time around.

Add in the wheel bearing, oil change, inspection/emission and I'm looking at around $1,400 and it won't be ready until Thurs eve. (And they are pushing me ahead of others because they know I need my truck to make money)

Subtract for lost mowing wages for two days and this blows royally.
          I considered renting a truck for a day (thurs), but I don't think it's worth the hassle and added cost for the truck/gas for the few lawns it will keep me on schedule with.

This is the longest I've been without my vehicle (out of commission for one day before this) and it sucks.
          Prepare accordingly. If you don't have a plan for a situation like this, you may want to consider one.
          Dude it sucks. I got in a car crash a week ago. I had my friends bobcat on the trailer and a women cut out in front of me. Long story short i couldnts stop fast enough and I hit her totaling her prius. Insurance deemed it her falt so good news is my insurance wont go up but I wont have my truck back from the body shop untill the end of next week! Thats 3 weeks with out my truck. Luckly my grandpa gave me his old truck a few months ago so I do have a back up but boy this sucks! Sorry to hear about your truck hedge what are you using while yours is in the shop?

Comment

You should order the stainless steel brake lines. There pre bent. You just connect and bleed the lines. There only about $150. Thats the same price the shop will charge you for the $30 of line with 400% mark up.
            I fully expected the "that's too much - do it yourself" post and that's great for those who can, but that's not me. If I could, I would, but I'm not about to screw around "learning" with something as important as my brakes.

Also, this shop has been good about not selling me more than I need. They have helped save me money in the past where others were trying to hose me - I'll give them my money - as much as it sucks to do in such quantities.

Comment

Dude it sucks. I got in a car crash a week ago. I had my friends bobcat on the trailer and a women cut out in front of me. Long story short i couldnts stop fast enough and I hit her totaling her prius. Insurance deemed it her falt so good news is my insurance wont go up but I wont have my truck back from the body shop untill the end of next week! Thats 3 weeks with out my truck. Luckly my grandpa gave me his old truck a few months ago so I do have a back up but boy this sucks! Sorry to hear about your truck hedge what are you using while yours is in the shop?
              I'm just not working. I have nothing else to use. (unless anyone thinks a Cavalier would work - LOL)

I was going to rent a truck, but most rentals (I've not found any actually) don't have receivers for towing. If it were going to be in the shop longer, I'd consider it and toss a push mower in the back, but it's not critical to get the lawns cut that I'll miss this week.

Comment

I fully expected the "that's too much - do it yourself" post and that's great for those who can, but that's not me. If I could, I would, but I'm not about to screw around "learning" with something as important as my brakes.

Also, this shop has been good about not selling me more than I need. They have helped save me money in the past where others were trying to hose me - I'll give them my money - as much as it sucks to do in such quantities.
                Its really not complicated. I barely do any of the work on my trucks but I learned the cooler and brake lines will always rot. So I replace them as soon as I get the truck with a permanent fix. To prevent a on the road break down. You can even tell the shop to install stainless steel lines and youll never have to worry about brake lines again.

The most time consuming part is bending them. As far as installing they just screw in. So if you get the pre bent kits, there no cutting or bending. It wont even take 2 hours to do. I watched them done once or twice and been doing it since. Most the shops I been to try to charge 6-8 hours of work.

Comment

Get a bike and tow your push mower!! Lol. I swear I was reading a post somewhere. A guy was towing a mower around with a bicycle!! Funny sh!t.

Comment

That really sucks Hedge, hope your back up and running soon. I had a line break yrs ago. My pops who's a mechanic came by and put a vise grip on the broken line. This prevented the fluid from coming out when I pressed the brakes and made it possible for me to make it home to fix the line. Sect is right, it was fairly easy to fix if you get the pre-shaped lines.

It's really surprising that the brake lines would go only after 55,000 miles. My ford f150 has got 220,000 on it and I've only replaced one line. Not to say that they weren't changed before I bought the truck.

Comment

First thank God you are allright. Brake lines letting go when 'out' can lead to a terrible accident.

Next thankfully you could get to the shop, and have one that will not screw you too bad on the repair. ( I consider all mechanics to charge too much).

I feel for you and others who do not have the knowledge or place or tools to do you own repairs.

I grew up learning how to repair things, do auto maintenance, rebuild engines tranmissions etc, so I do all my own work. I had to rebuild my entire brake system in Feb, cost me about 1000 bucks, new lines, master, wheels cylenders, calipers, drums, rotors. I could not imagine how much all that would have cost at a shop.

Hope you are up and running soon

Comment

Sorry about that happening.

You would think something as important as a brake line would be engineered better. I just don't know why they are made so crappy.

For those interested, you can get the brake line flaring tools at autozone for free to use. They just hold a credit card number in case you don't bring it back.

A little playing around with making the fittings and you can do it. Once you put them on, check for leaks and if no leaks, you are good to go.

Regardless of the size, it's easy to bend them with the right tool.

- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
                        Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

That really sucks Hedge, hope your back up and running soon. I had a line break yrs ago. My pops who's a mechanic came by and put a vise grip on the broken line. This prevented the fluid from coming out when I pressed the brakes and made it possible for me to make it home to fix the line. Sect is right, it was fairly easy to fix if you get the pre-shaped lines.

It's really surprising that the brake lines would go only after 55,000 miles. My ford f150 has got 220,000 on it and I've only replaced one line. Not to say that they weren't changed before I bought the truck.

Meh. Could be a "Chevy thing" for all I know - every brand has it's flaws.
                          The truck is in really good condition overall, but it does see a ton of salt in the winter and that's a pretty tough thing to battle.

Also, it may only have 55,000 miles, but it's 11 years old.

Comment

First thank God you are allright. Brake lines letting go when 'out' can lead to a terrible accident.

Next thankfully you could get to the shop, and have one that will not screw you too bad on the repair. ( I consider all mechanics to charge too much).

I feel for you and others who do not have the knowledge or place or tools to do you own repairs.

I grew up learning how to repair things, do auto maintenance, rebuild engines tranmissions etc, so I do all my own work. I had to rebuild my entire brake system in Feb, cost me about 1000 bucks, new lines, master, wheels cylenders, calipers, drums, rotors. I could not imagine how much all that would have cost at a shop.

Hope you are up and running soon

Yeah, I keep trying to focus on the good. It's really good that I decided against doing any of the jobs that were a ten mile highway drive away when I heard the noise in the front end. I'd have lost my brakes too far away to even consider making it home and could have potentially had a very, VERY bad day if they went out at the wrong time. At a minimum, I'd be miles away, broken down, with a trailer to worry about towing away as well.

Growing up, I helped/watched my father do everything imaginable with his hands from building our home, to fabricating body parts, to swapping engines, to true custom paint jobs. I just didn't really pick up on it - it doesn't come naturally like it did for him. I'm an artist - not a mechanic.
                            Fortunately I have enough knowledge to get me through most minor mechanical problems, and can handle most home repairs, but working on cars isn't something I'm comfortable with - at least not when it comes to such an important component.

Comment

Just came home with the truck.

$1,525.00

It's raining so hard I didn't bring the bill in the house with me, but when I looked at it the labor alone was $700.

At least they had it finished as promised. Actually, they didn't "promise" it would be done - they said they would do their best to have it for me tonight. And they did.

In continuing to look at the "good" in all of this, it rained most of the day yesterday and rained HARD all day today, so if I were to pick a time to have the truck down for repairs, this would be it!

Comment

Working...
                              X