No announcement yet.

Transmission blew

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

good luck to you too. That sounds like a shifter cable. Cant be more then $300 to fix.

I checked my fluid today and its red and black. This fluid is new since I had my lines done 3 weeks ago. I put it in drive and was able to use 1st for a few minutes before it heated up. Then it wouldnt move. This trans is toast.

I have 2 trucks down and 1 left for work. If that goes ill be in a uhaul.

Thanks. Fingers crossed for a repair bill that isn't going to set me back too far.

I just gave up trying to locate a rental place with a truck. None close to me have trucks, so unless my truck is going to be out for more than a day or two, I'll just accept the lost income and try to play catchup next week.

I was looking at the trunk of my wife's Cavalier, but I don't think I wanna try shoving a mower in there. LOL

Comment

Thanks. Fingers crossed for a repair bill that isn't going to set me back too far.

I just gave up trying to locate a rental place with a truck. None close to me have trucks, so unless my truck is going to be out for more than a day or two, I'll just accept the lost income and try to play catchup next week.

I was looking at the trunk of my wife's Cavalier, but I don't think I wanna try shoving a mower in there. LOL
      Do you have a uhaul dealer near you? they have those pickups for in town rental but im not sure the price on them.

Comment

Wait a minute werent you dogging me on my uhaul trailer????
        That was me... I thought of you when I said it too. Come to CT to fix my transmission and I have a 5x8 for you.

Do you have a uhaul dealer near you? they have those pickups for in town rental but im not sure the price on them.
        There 19.99 a day and .60 a mile. I rented one to haul back a mower from a auction before since I went there with a car. The only problem is most places dont carry the pick up trucks.

Can you pull it out yourself?

Maybe 6 bolts on the bell housing. Take the shaft off. Speedometer cable, shifter.

Then a few bolts on the torque converter.

Drop it with a floor jack and put it into a garbage can.

Haul it over to a trans shop.

Have them rebuild it and then you reinstall it.

It will take a little time, but it can save you a bunch of money.
        The install isnt to difficult. It was more or less the warrenty part but autozone will warranty it either way. You cant throw it away either the core is $500. The price with core is $1850.
        Last edited by SECTLANDSCAPING; 04-19-2012, 07:40 PM.

Comment

lol yeah they only carry the pickups at actual uhaul stores because they're leased by uhaul and not actually owed by uhaul so your dealers like the gas station up the road cant carry them.

Comment

Yeah, anyone who doesn't have a contingency plan in place for when their truck goes down might want to do some preemptive rental research - finding a rental pickup truck isn't as easy as it sounds.

As mentioned, Uhaul only has trucks at the main centers - not at the "gas stations" with Uhaul rentals.
            I did manage to locate a truck at Enterprise rent a car only a few miles from me, but fortunately I didn't need it.

Crisis averted. No rental required.

The garage couldn't look at it until after lunch today, but he called and said I could pick it up. The part won't be in until Monday, but they did a temporary fix so I could at least use my truck until it gets the part replaced.

I didn't catch what the part was called, but it's the part that comes out of the transmission that the shifter cable attaches to. It had rusted and the cable popped off, so they wired it together for me and I was able to start my first lawn at 3pm today. I got 4 cuts done and did the two estimates I couldn't get to yesterday.

The bast part of the day was when I asked what I was looking at for the repair total once the part comes in. "Oh, it will be under $100", he said.

:dancing: (happy dance)

Comment

I didn't catch what the part was called, but it's the part that comes out of the transmission that the shifter cable attaches to. It had rusted and the cable popped off, so they wired it together for me and I was able to start my first lawn at 3pm today. I got 4 cuts done and did the two estimates I couldn't get to yesterday.
              I said it was probably where the cable attaches to the bracket on the transmission

Thats one more for the internet mechanic lol

Comment

Working...
              X