No announcement yet.

Feeling a little serious

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As you have grown up and know people in your area, do you find certain business owners there have a way of dealing with all this that you would like to adopt?

Or do you find that most all of them are in the same boat as you when it comes to customer interactions and dealing with these issues?
    - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
    Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

As you have grown up and know people in your area, do you find certain business owners there have a way of dealing with all this that you would like to adopt?

Or do you find that most all of them are in the same boat as you when it comes to customer interactions and dealing with these issues?

I was surprised that I wasn't the only one with this problem. One company hired a receptionist just to get away from the headaches. Lucky guy.

Some usually just do as the customer requests, but then complain that they are out a lot of money and screwing themselves over.

My situation is, I don't have a receptionist and I don't want to allow my clients to indulge in my own pocket money.

The faster a business owner can get away from his clients, the better. Too much unneeded stress for literally nothing. Sounds odd, but that's the only way I can see things working out. I can't argue/debate with people daily it's exhausting.

Comment

Unfortunately, sounds like you need to start getting your clients to sign contracts. Offer them a prepay discount for paying their monthly bill prior to services being rendered. Also, have you ever thought about accepting credit cards? They take a percentage, but you have your money in about 4 days.

As far as your personal thoughts or struggles... seriously, try meditation.

I have walked a mile in your shoes. Been that guy. Too friendly with customers, and doing extras here and there for no charge. The best thing I ever learned in business is how to say NO.

Life is short brother. Clear up your mind. Find what makes you happy. And do it. At the end of the day, you have to answer to yourself.

Comment

You're advice is pretty accurate. It's all it really comes down to.

I think it's my personal life that needs adjustment, as it effects my business.
          I believe that I am too alone, and when clients gang up on me I actually feel wrong. A friend usually helps me feel 'correct' and gives me the realism/push that reminds me that I am actually right for saying, "no".

I surround myself with the needs of my customers, which make me very confused, as I know they can be detrimental to my company. Rarely do I get an outsiders view, a friend / non-client.

Wow, pretty deep stuff!

Basically, the only people I surround myself with are the people who take from me. Horrible! That'll have any individual make bad decisions, and it's clearly what I've done. Having a person tell you that the clients are wrong is a good thing, as they look out for you and nothing less!

In other news, some random woman is obsessing over me, scary stuff. Well, better take advantage of the situation for my own personal gain . LOL, just like a client... Hypocrisy makes me laugh.

Comment

Just gotta put everything into perspective bro. You make the rules.

As for the girl... post pics....lol

Comment

A friend usually helps me feel 'correct' and gives me the realism/push that reminds me that I am actually right for saying, "no".
              Scott,

How much of this can you attribute to confidence that you build over time. As you are in business longer, you get more comfortable on how to handle situations and they come second nature.

Or do you feel this is more of a personality issue where you want to be liked by all your customers and they pick up on that and take advantage of it?
              - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!

Comment

Scott,

How much of this can you attribute to confidence that you build over time. As you are in business longer, you get more comfortable on how to handle situations and they come second nature.

Or do you feel this is more of a personality issue where you want to be liked by all your customers and they pick up on that and take advantage of it?
                It's more of a lesson that needs to be learned through trial and error. No one would know 'stealing' is wrong, if they were never raised/shown to believe in that it was.

I rarely have people who aren't my clients to tell me what is the right thing to do. The right thing for my clients is (to me) the wrong thing for the business.

My confidence in making the right decision can be somewhat confusing when the only suggestions I receive are from my clients, and while I'm the only person who is against them it becomes difficult to debate and truly feel 'right'.

Think of something you hate, that everyone else loves. It's kind of useless to fight the fact that you feel different about 'it'.

Comment

You kinda got to get over the feeling right and wrong about it. Its your business, you make the rules... You also seem to be really hard on yourself!!
                  As Joe Dirt says, Lifes a garden, dig it... Start enjoying life brotha!!!

Comment

My confidence in making the right decision can be somewhat confusing when the only suggestions I receive are from my clients
                    Why can't you also get suggestions from fellow business members on the forum? They would at least be neutral and not looking to get free services from you.

Comment

Working...
                    X