Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More........

Friday, December 16, 2011:

Well, after a few days of same old, same old, we saw more encouraging progress today.

I didn't witness it because I was out doing a final leaf cleanup for a client, but my wife said that Pepe got up and went to the door when the mail man knocked today! Not only that, but he fell down and got back up on his own!

She said he stood for a few minutes then went back down and a few minutes later he got up and walked a few feet to his water bowl!

This is all pretty impressive, as he's not been very motivated over the last few days. He was even giving me a hard time when I would take him out - not holding himself up as well as he had been, and generally behaving "oddly" when outside. Part of it may have been due to the rain we've had - he doesn't like bad weather.

I'm hoping he can walk (more consistently) by Christmas - even if he needs assistance. His right front foot still seems to be the worst in that it doesn't always get positioned properly when he moves his leg forward to take a step. (still knuckles under sometimes)

Monday, December 19, 2011:

This evening, for the first time, when I asked if he had to go out, and said "C'mon, let's go", he GOT UP and slowly walked to the door!

Little by little each day.

Earlier, he got up for the mail man, and then later we tried calling him to us to see if he would stand and walk - he started to, then plopped over onto his side. I will admit to laughing because he just fell onto his soft bed, and he had only started to get up, so it wasn't a complete "fall down", plus he had a look of "Oh, crap - this is embarrassing" on his face. He was fine.

He's doing better with the walking, but getting UP is still a bit tricky. He's also not ready to walk outside yet, so even though he came to the door for me, I still carried him out to the yard. Once he can master THAT, the next hurdle will be peeing and pooping without me holding him from falling while he goes.
    His legs are definitely weakened and it shows when he walks, but he'll get stronger in time.

"Steps" will be the final obstacle to overcome. Our "normal" routine (pre-injury) is to go down into the basement and then out to the back yard. If we go out the front door, we still have to go down steps to the driveway to get to the back. The only alternative - which is what we will have to do once he can walk that far - is to go out the front yard to the street and then walk back the driveway to the back yard.

Today was a good day. Except for the part where I thought I broke my elbow and immediately thought "Now I'm screwed because I can't carry him!"
    Not broken. Iced it and took some Tylenol - hurts, but still works. Whew!
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011:

Fear can be a powerful motivator.

Today we had a strip of thunderstorms roll through. Pepe does not like storms - at all. He shakes and if it's bad, his teeth will chatter.
    Like many dogs, he knows when they are coming and will often go to the basement door asking to go downstairs even before the storm starts. He feels safer down there and we have a bed set up for him with a battery operated candle nearby in case the power goes out.

Sure enough, when the driving rain started this afternoon he got up and headed toward the kitchen! (where the door to the basement is located)
    I knew the storm wouldn't last long, so I told him he'd have to stay upstairs. I called him to come with me and he turned around (without falling) and followed me back into the living room. He spent a good half hour or so standing/walking/sitting/getting up. He wanted to be near us, so any time one of us would leave the room he'd want to follow. It sucked that he was afraid, but it was good physical therapy for him - he's done more walking today than he has this whole time.

It's not pretty when he walks, but he's improving. I even let him try to walk out the front door today instead of me carrying him just to see how it would go. The step/threshold is painted concrete, so I knew it would be a problem, and I was there to catch him when his front foot went sliding forward, unable to stop himself from going down. At least he tried.

I took a quick video of him walking to show his progress. It's crappy and since it was done while the rains were coming down, he's not looking too happy in it, but here it is...
    (Sorry, no Youtube acct, so clicking it takes you to my Photobucket page)

That's my boy.

Comment

More...........

December 24, 2011:

Smiles all around today!

In addition to him getting up and moving around a little more today, I was able to get him to go out the front door with the assistance of the support harness!
      He still isn't able to step down onto the porch on his own, but with me supporting his weight, he's able to correct his foot placement when its not quite right.
      I walked him right out into the yard!

Later, I coaxed him off his bed by offering a piece of a cookie, and got him to walk across the room a few times. when I went to the kitchen to wash my hands, my wife said, "someone is following you." I turned around and there he was, head ****ed, ears perked, with that "look" that says "can I haz another?" LOL

Sunday, December 25, 2011:

Pepe wants to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas!

Taken this morning. No, it's not staged - he loves his Bo-Bos and is often found lying with one in this manner.

Our Christmas was filled with face licking and tail wagging. That was all we really wanted.

Thank you again to all who have been following Pepe's progress and helping us keep the faith. He's our blessing and I wish we could introduce him to each of you so you could see what a happy dog he truly is.

I don't know if it will be too long to upload to Photobucket, but today I took video of him walking in the yard today. It was the first time I tried to see if he would walk back to the porch unassisted. It took some effort since he had to walk uphill and step across a few uneven spots, but with encouragement, he did it. Like I said before - baby steps.

Wednesday, December 28, 2011:

Pretty much same old, same old, however, yesterday we went to the grocery store and before leaving, blocked off the kitchen so he wouldn't wander in there and fall on the slippery floor while we were out. When we returned (up from the garage/basement into the kitchen), he was standing in the dining room looking over the barricade waiting to greet us. (with a wagging tail)

Today, we found him lying under the dining room table - one of his "regular" spots.

Small glimpses of "normalcy".

He's coming along. It's taking a long time, but he is improving.

Comment

As some may have noted from my other thread, I DID just end up getting an inexpensive homeowner grade ZTR.

With the vet bills totaling over $6,000 I didn't think it would be possible to get any equipment. Unfortunately, the reason I was able to, is due to a death in the family which resulted in a small amount of money coming to us. Not enough to go buy a car or anything lavish, but it eased the finances enough for me to make the small investment ($1990 ZTR) in my business. With 0% interest for a year and the additional money, we were able to make it happen.

Also (and this just blows me away), we applied for financial assistance through a fund set up at the hospital where Pepe had his surgery. They award assistance for people whose pets undergo extensive/expensive treatment and is income based. All monies awarded come from donations for this specific fund.
        We were awarded a generous gift in the amount of $1,400 to help pay for Pepe's medical bills. Man, I'm getting choked up just thinking about it. I can't express how grateful we are for the help. I chalk it up to "prayers sent/answered".

As crappy as things have been, we've been blessed in a lot of ways.
        I'm just so thankful that my buddy is recovering.
        Last edited by Hedgemaster; 12-30-2011, 02:29 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

More........
          That is awesome.
          I am so happy for all of you.
          Give Pepe a big hug for me he deserves it for all his hard work.

Comment

That sounds like pretty good news .

Comment

I am so glad, When I first read the title of this post I was thinking "WTF is wrong with this guy" lol, My dog looks exactly like yours and oddly enough for the bast few years, a couple of times per year he runs in the living room dragging his back leggs behind him, eyes all glossed over, looks like seasures maybe. The vet has never been able to figure out whats wrong with him. Every time it happens we carry him out back to the fresh air and comfort him, normaly after 5 minutes he jumps up and is ready to play like nothing happened.
              White Company

Comment

Jason, sorry to hear about your pup's troubles. It's so frustrating that they can't tell you what's happening and it's got to be hard not knowing the cause. I wish you the best.

Today's update:

We wanted to send some video of Pepe walking to his neurologist, so I carried him to the back yard this afternoon before the rain/snow started, and shot a few quick clips.
                It was REALLY windy, and Pepe doesn't like bad weather, so he wasn't too thrilled about being out.

Click the images to view the vids in Photobucket...

This one is sort of funny because he's headed back toward the gate and when my wife asks if he's "ready to go back in", he picks up the pace!

I have another vid from a week ago that I meant to post to show his progress, but can't locate it at the moment.

Anyway, just thought his fan club would like to see him up and about!

Comment

Anything new on the lil guy?

Comment

Anything new on the lil guy?
                    Oh, heck yeah. I gotta get to bed, but tomorrow I'll post up some vid I think I took last week.
                    I put down some adhesive safety treads on the threshold and now he's able to get out the front door on his own without slipping - no more carrying him.

He's improving - that's for sure!

Comment

hedge, i just read through this thread and noticed it for the first time since it was bumped.

i want to say i hope everything with your dog pepe works out just fine and and he lives a long time. he is clearly a lucky dog to have you as his freind and i must say it struck a nerve with me because i had to put my dog down last year after 13 years and your dog looks exactly like mine and even though i have a soft spot for animals in general your dog really struck a nerve with me.

i know how you feel about the finances being a burden with a illiness in the family i been there when my mon died when i was 15 and the collection agency's for the hospital were coming at me and my two older sisters that were 18 and 19 for the medical bills that had accumulated during here illness.

i wish you all the best and these times will probably make you even better in the end.

once again, best of luck for you, your family, pepe and your business.

Comment

hedge, i just read through this thread and noticed it for the first time since it was bumped.

i want to say i hope everything with your dog pepe works out just fine and and he lives a long time. he is clearly a lucky dog to have you as his freind and i must say it struck a nerve with me because i had to put my dog down last year after 13 years and your dog looks exactly like mine and even though i have a soft spot for animals in general your dog really struck a nerve with me.

i know how you feel about the finances being a burden with a illiness in the family i been there when my mon died when i was 15 and the collection agency's for the hospital were coming at me and my two older sisters that were 18 and 19 for the medical bills that had accumulated during here illness.

i wish you all the best and these times will probably make you even better in the end.

once again, best of luck for you, your family, pepe and your business.
                        Thanks and I'm sorry to hear of your loss.
                        It's tough - we've gone through it twice before and it's never easy

I'll go copy/paste more of the updates now...

Comment

Wednesday, January 4, 2012:

Wait until the next time I post video - he practically RAN back in the house today after doing his business! I asked him if he was "done" and he was off like a rocket! LOL! Well, a stumbly, weaving sort of rocket, but he was moving pretty quickly!

I'm still helping him out the door because the threshold is too slippery and his foot slides when he tries to step on it (bought some traction strips today!), but once we are on the porch, he's able to make the next step down onto the sidewalk on his own in order to go into the front yard.
                          He's still not stable enough to be trusted to keep himself from falling while he's doing business, but he is showing improvement.

More of those little "normal" behaviors are returning. He was licking one of the cats today (tastes like chicken, I always say) and yesterday for the first time, he got his front feet up on the sofa in order to give my wife kisses and "hang out". You see, according to my wife, if his back feet are still on the floor, he's technically not "on the sofa". (my rule) So I've learned to live with their little loophole in the "law" and he will sort of lay across her lap, but with his back legs still on the floor, thus avoiding a harsh prison sentence. LOL

He's been getting up and moving around on his own (without our encouragement) a LOT more and can often be found right behind you when you open a package of food.

Since he's doing better, I may start walking him out the yard onto the street and down to the driveway and see if he can walk on the gravel. If he can do it without too much trouble, we can start using the back yard again for doing business, plus that will give him more distance to walk which should be good for him now.

His right front foot seems to be the biggest "problem" at the moment. Most of the time, he's fine when he walks (aside from being "clunky"), but now and then it will knuckle under which can cause a fall.

He's a good dog. Since we've been married, we've had two other dogs in the house (one of which spent his last year or two with Pepe), and Pep is one of those dogs that you just know you'll never have another quite like him.
                          He's worth everything we've done for him.

Comment

Monday, January 9, 2012:

Pepe continues to improve a little each day.
                            I REALLY need to shoot some video of him tomorrow. Since I placed the rubber tread strip on the threshold, he's now able to get out the front door unassisted! He was afraid of the strip at first and would try to step over it, but after I placed his foot on it a few times he realized he could stand on it.

I stay close as he goes out the door, as he's still a bit "stumbly" at times, but overall, he's doing well getting out to the yard, and is even peeing without needing to be supported. Pooping is a bit more tricky, and while he's almost ready to go on his own, I still help to keep him from falling over while he's getting his feet positioned.
                            He HAS stumbled a few times in the yard because it's a bit of a slope, but for the most part, he's walking pretty well.

We put the support harness on him a few days ago and walked him about 100 yards down the street. He was a happy dog and thought we were going for our usual walk. He did fine walking and really didn't need any help, but I didn't want to risk him falling on the road and injuring his neck, so that was the reason for the harness.

He's now able to turn around "on the spot" as opposed to making a wide arc, and he's discovered that he can now stand and/or sit with his one paw raised while begging for food! (That's just something he has always done) LOL! Actually, "sitting" is still tricky because his front feet start to slide out, but he'll get better at that too in time.

Last night he was seen "digging" at his bed before turning around to lay down in it. That's the first we've seen him do that since the surgery.
                            It's the little things like that that make us smile.

Comment

Tuesday, January 10, 2012:

Well, I took some video of Pepe exiting and then coming back into the house, but first here are some pics of him getting attention from the mail man...

Hey! Where U going?!!

I know you're out there!

I don't know where he went!

Click vids below to view:

Coming out... (ignore the cats attempting to make a break for it)

Going back in...

It's hard to get a good shot of him looking happy because he's afraid of cameras, but this one of him resting his chin on my hand/knee isn't too bad...

Comment

Monday, January 16, 2012:

Today, my wife made a Pop Tart, and as she was headed up the steps (w/said Pop Tart) to go check her email, she realized that Pepe was right behind her - he was still on the landing, but had both front feet on the first step.
                                I think the thought of "crusts" had him not thinking clearly.
                                We turned him around and blocked the stairs.

It's all starting to fall in place. After he masters going UP the steps, I think going DOWN them is the last big hurdle. I don't see that happening though for quite a while. I won't even attempt to have him try it until he's walking more surely on "solid ground".

He's going to impress everyone at his follow up visit at PVSEC!

Comment

Working...
                                X