No announcement yet.

What I have learned

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have already eliminate the tailer and use a cube van with a ramp, my pickup was getting about 10 mpg. the bigger stronger truck can do 15 in town easy, and haul everything i could ever need.
    That is fantastic! You improved your gas mileage by 50% by doing that!

Have you found any downsides to switching from your pickup with your trailer to your cube van?

What about leaves? Do you use a trailer to collect leaves with your cub van?

I also noticed you have two different cube van trucks. Did one work out better than the other?
    - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
    Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

It was the best i could do in the situation. I had an 06 pick up, that couldnt handle what I was putting it through, I went to the dealership and they had 5 cube vans from a large vending company in town that was upgrading that they pushed me towords. The first was a diesel F350 big jump from my F150. It has the huge 7.2L engine that I worried would eat up my milage but it really doesnt. It has the large frame and box that i dont notice if im pulling anything, very smoth ride. They had it listed at 9,000 with 145,000 miles. For the same Model in a Pick up was around 15,000. I saw the room for advertising and decided I would do that. The problem was my pick up was worth 17,000 and they didnt like the idea of trading down. so i looked at a few smaller trucks, telling them that I had the ford for power and needed a get around truck that i could do estimates or maybe throw a weed whip in the back and run around in the morning when its 2 wet to mow and knock out some trimming without having to have an employee to pay. so we found a little ford ranger, no towing power, small box, and surprisingly bad gas milage. So i took the weekend to study up and found out that they had 1 isuzu that was a 4 cylender diesel engine. I read the reviews on the isuzu NPRs and couldnt find a bad review. they are build with just the chassie and you can add anything to the back of it. I got looking around and found a site that takes these isuzu frames and makes a custom lawn truck for 70,000. I decided i could take a crack at building my own. so i went back to try the isuzu and from the moment i got inside i LOVED it. it is built like a small semi. its very simple but made to last. I am confident that this truck will last. They had it listed for 10,000 with 140,000 miles. we talked for a while and they did an even trade with me. So i got to work building the ramp. that was a chore. i want it to be light enough to lift but strong enouh to trust. when it was finished and i felt good about it it ended up beeing a little over 800 pounds. now i had a new problem, i tried a winch, a boat crank, considered adding hydrolics. finally decided on a garage door torshen spring. now i can drive in and out in seconds and flip up the door with 1 hand. i mounted weed whips and blowers on the wall and have a work bench in the front to store tools and gas cans. It truely is a 1 car garage. When i got the ford it was going to be my leaf truck. I had a lot of designing and hours and hours of strgle with this one and i had to give up on the idea. easy to get leaves in, a terrible half a day dirty job to get them out. I decide instead to build a box on the front of my trailer and set the billy goat in the back of the truck shooting into the trailer box. i put doors all around it so i could open them up and drive forward and close it up...... NOT how it works. the billy goat chops up so small and tight that it was a solid wall all around. It would take me 2 hours every night to empty it. on busy days i would do it 2 times. after a year and a half I decided my health and my time could be better used somewhere else and got the dump truck. i went with the metel box to cut down on places for leaves to catch when i dump, and so it wouldnt break during the summer when I take it out to do multch or rocks or whatever jobs it comes in useful. After all of this is done the things i woul consider doing differently... I would have gotten a dump truck with 4 wheel drive. Im not plowing with it so i decided i wouldnt need it. I would buy 2 isuzus over the ford. the power i gain is nice in a few cases but the milage and ease and manuverability are un matched. I have driven around in the larger cities in the fall and have seen comanies with huge leaf trucks, I wish there was a way to use the ford but i cant figure out how to get them out. It is nice however to have a safe spot to keep blowers and rakes and gas, anything you could imagine in the back of a 8x16 box truck. Ive even considered building a wall and making a little office in the back, and add a printer to do bills and everything on the job sight. or have a generater in the back with a few outlets on the out side to be able to use some electric tools. an electric chain saw is MUCH cheaper than a gas, and for the amount i use it.... just an idea. I may also use the isuzu ford for chemicles, i could have the tanks inside with the line running out the side, similar to how true green does it. I could have a VERY large tank on that frame.

Comment

to get the leavs out of the truck mount a pallet to a chain and pull them out

Comment

with the amout that would be in the tuck i bet i would need another truck to pull that chain, but thats an awesome ideal. i was thinking of it all wrong i was thinking about somethng that would push out, do you think the pallet will stay strait or will it twist and only pull out a small amout. is this something you have tried

Comment

We dump at a much yard and the front leaders will pull the chain with the pallet off 4 us

Comment

I don't use that method but most companies where I live use it u can rig the pallet where it will stand up till u get the leaves in it to hold it up the pallet will pull out most of the leaves

Comment

alright cool, that just makes one of my trucks much more useful. how do they vent the truck for the air to get out. i have seen 2 different ways of doing it, where the back door only comes half way up. and a way where the hose fits tight in a hole. i prefer using the hole, so there is less of a mess and i can fill the box more.

Comment

they make a vent for those trucks that u can put on or u can buy a cloths dryer vent and cut a hole and put in

Comment

Cheap places to buy equipment

Have you tried Partstree. com or smallenginewarehouse.com?? You can get cheap mower blades at expressmowerparts.com also.

Comment

I decided i could take a crack at building my own. so i went back to try the isuzu and from the moment i got inside i LOVED it.
                      Do you have any pictures of the construction process? I'd love to see what you did.
                      - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
                      Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Working...
                      X