Help me find a nice way to dump a client

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me find a nice way to dump a client

It's been a battle with Client from day one, and Client is the only lawn I service in this area of town. How do I dump Client and save my reputation? Client is arguing with prices, again, and I'm not willing to accomodate Client anymore.

"A business that makes nothing but money is a poor kind of business." - Henry Ford

Touchton's Complete Lawn Care

Here's what I have so far.
    I appreciate your concern over pricing of clean-up. I feel that we are a very competitive lawn care company, and assure you that we charge under what the market allows in City. Unfortunately, while I value your business, I cannot accomodate your request for a price reduction.
    "A business that makes nothing but money is a poor kind of business." - Henry Ford

Comment

I appreciate your concern over pricing of clean-up. I feel that we are a very competitive lawn care company, and assure you that we charge under what the market allows in City. Unfortunately, while I value your business, I cannot accomodate your request for a price reduction.
      I am assuming you haven't this project.

On behalf of my company (company name) I would like to thank you for the opportunity to provide you with a quotation for the clean up of your property.

We take pride in our work and based on customer feedback the quality of our work reflects this. I understand you have concerns over the pricing in our quotation and we respect this, I trust you will also respect we offer competitive pricing and our quotations are final.

We are aware there may be other companies willing to cut corners in order to offer better pricing however cutting corners is not the direction of our company.

We wish you well and should you require services in the future, do not hesitate to contact us.
      Andy
      Halifax, Nova Scotia

Comment

We've already done the work for him. He was quoted for a flat clean-up price early in the season, and was agreeable. But now he's not happy AFTER the work is complete.

Our history with this client is that he reduced his service from bi-weekly to 1x per month, and I didn't change his price to reflect all the growth that I'm cutting now. Secondly, he's the only client in that area that we have (nearest client is 10+ miles away).

Here's what I have now:
        I appreciate your concern over pricing of clean-up. Touchton's is a very competitive lawn care company, and I assure you that we charge under what the market allows in Jacksonville. Unfortunately, while I value your business, I cannot honor your request for a price reduction or further work for no charge. Therefore, our invoice to you will stand as is."

And I really want to say:

"ANOTHER LAWN CARE COMPANY" operates out of your area. I feel that they may be able to better price work in your neighborhood, as they have an extensive clientele list there. While I would hate to see you go, I want you to be happy, and I cannot accommodate a price reduction at this time.

But not sure if I should. My goal is to let client go without harming our reputation. Perhaps I shouldn't look at it that way, but I really want to stand-out in customer relations.

Comment

I would probably take out the "charge less than other companies" and fire it off. Do you have anything at all in writing or email or is it just a verbal quote?

If we give quotes, it is always followed up via email so that everyone is on the same page. I haven't yet run into anyone with no email but if I did, I would have them initial a quote form.
          Andy
          Halifax, Nova Scotia

Comment

It was a verbal explanation of flat-rate (per hour) pricing. I've cleaned-up for him twice before with no problems.

Here was my e-mail to Client:
            I appreciate the opportunity to work for you, as well as your concern over pricing of clean-up. Touchton's is a very competitive lawn care company, and I assure you that we charge under what the market allows in Jacksonville. If you think the price is unfair, simply pay for the basic mowing service and we will consider your account closed - status as paid in full.

Client's Response:
            Thanks for the prompt response. I donít think the price is unfair. I am generally very happy with the yard service thus far. The lawn service is $30 and well worth it. I just donít agree with the $20 for what was done on clean up, just donít feel I got my moneyís worth on that part of the job.

Where do I go from here? Again, I'm losing money with this client and I want to let client go.

Comment

Geeze man, what does someone expect for twenty bucks, probably costs you that much to drive there. Since it's the only client in the area at the moment, I simply would not respond, I suspect it's what he wants. You stated you side in a very professional manner, I would just move on.
              Andy
              Halifax, Nova Scotia

Comment

How has this experience effected your views of customers and possibly they way you screen them?
                - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
                Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

How has this experience effected your views of customers and possibly they way you screen them?

Right now, we're not screening them because we're new, we're trying to build a base, and trying to learn the ropes. I know that I won't work in certain neighborhoods, but beyond that I don't know.

Does anyone else pre-screen potential clients? How do you do it?

Comment

There are a bunch of discussions on prescreening customers on here. Here is one post, but there are a bunch more http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=1055
                    - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
                    Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Any customer that would make an issue of $20 is not one I would want
                      Tara Gray
                      Green Paws Lawn Care
                      http://www.greenpawslawncare.com

Comment

Tell them" it's been nice working with you, good luck." mow on

Comment

Any customer that would make an issue of $20 is not one I would want
                          I have one that made an issue over $6. She's on the chopping block.
                          Boughter's Lawn Care Services Mowing and Fertilizing in New Castle, PA

Comment

Sounds like he owes you the $20 - make him pay it. If you need to drop him because you are not making on him then explain it to him exactly that way - explain that it isn't personal & that its a business decision & move on.
                            wouldn't worry about it damaging reputation.
                            Evansville Lawn Mowing
                            Newburgh Lawn Care

Comment

if your only issue with kicking him to the curb is your reputation ,send him a nice email stating that upon further reflexion ,your vehicle burns too much gas to warrant a 10 mile drive out of your usual service area .It might be nice to recommend another lawnboy in his area .

Comment

Working...
                              X