No announcement yet.

contract labor question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

States they cannot work for any clients, or in the area for one year after leaving the company. They brainstorm at the office and set up what they do in the field and they follow it, I have not been there long enough to see someone fail in the field. I have been there almost 10 months and thats pretty good. The biggest thing is time tracking. I run the reports out and the people are bad about reporting their time, 90% of the clients are on retainer so it does not really matter for billing, but it can skew when it comes to renegotiating the next contract for the same kind of project.

Comment

States they cannot work for any clients, or in the area for one year after leaving the company.
      If you mean buy working in the city/area of the company.. I doubt that any contract like that would hold up in court. They can not legally say you cant not work in this city are any company near theirs.. They can how ever say you can not work for their company within a 1 year of leaving(some do 2 years if fired).

not sure if I'm misunderstanding what your saying however.

Comment

If you mean buy working in the city/area of the company.. I doubt that any contract like that would hold up in court. They can not legally say you cant not work in this city are any company near theirs.. They can how ever say you can not work for their company within a 1 year of leaving(some do 2 years if fired).

not sure if I'm misunderstanding what your saying however.
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-compete_clause

Comment

Non-Compete agreements can and often do...

work. Can they be challenged in court? Yes, but then again any contract can be challenged in court.

Business' use Non-Compete's to protect themselves. What good would it be for you to train someone for whatever period of time and then they dodge on you and go to a competitor or start up their own company in direct competition with you? Having done nothing more that used you and your company for their gain. This can also helps to prevent corporate espionage. Although, nothing is full proof is does give a business owner a legal standing.

Also, depending upon the industry, a Non-Compete may have an Intellectual Property Clause in it or a seperate agreement governing such to protect the company. You planning, stratagies and developments can and should be protected.

When challenged in court some hold up and some don't, but it certainly puts a potential employee on notice.

Comment

This does make me wonder what is the best way to keep a valued employee?

Does anyone actually use non-compete contracts? Have they found them to be helpful?

Or are there other better ways to keep valued employees?
            - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
            Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

I am in a business law class, and we talked about FL labor and employment laws last night, this came up. The are enforcible in FL. If you put in there you can work for anyone in the area, engage in the same kind of business steal clients, for a a time period. it must be reasonable.

Comment

Steve,

A Non-Compete isn't used to KEEP good employee's. It's merely a protection mechanism for companies. They are quite often used in other industries. More so in larger companies in my opinion, but can be used by any business owner.

Regarding keeping good employee's, the way I've always felt is to treat your employee's well and the dividend that will be paid will be proportional. Building a good team that works well together and in harmony with your companies philosophies that has a can do attitude is what all employers should strive for. Little perks and At-A-Boy or Girl awards in some form or fashion along with fair pay and a healthy work environment with a Boss that truly cares will help to keep GOOD employee's.

Having said that, also protect your company, because employee's can and often do try to take advantage of a good thing.

Just my 2 cents.

Comment

You should never use wikipidea to try and prove anything.. Any one with no knowledge can edit wikipedia to their likings. My old collage English teacher printed out and showed the class how many errors, none facts, made up stuff etc there was within one page of wikipedia.

Also i was not referring to Non-compete, read my post again where i say "I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding what your saying". As in they cant work for "any" company's within that area and not saying any company with in the same business as company in question.

So all in all i misunderstood the reply's meaning.

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X