Stuck in a rut

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well then

I was thinking about you today Jason while i was mowing an account of mine I got up around 6 am and was there by 7:15. I think alot when i am mowing lawns and everything else for that matter. after thinking about everything that was posted and responded I kept moving the idea further into my little brain. I cannot speak for others, only me. I guess I know if I keep pounding away with all of this work I am doing it will eventually snowball. If I stop everything stops. My background and my best thinking brought me here to do this kind of work. My dad beat it into me when I was young that I am not the smartest person around but, i am good with my imagination and hands. I cannot be a doctor or lawyer or some upper class person that makes 200k a year. Thats not me. I said earlier I have a certification in welding. I am not union. I don't work in the oil fields. I get paid what I get paid and thats the bottom line. One day awhile back, I was analyzing everything and looking at these people I work with and either I change this situation or i become them.

I am not going to be 50 years old and drink a 12 pack a day of milwaukee's best and talk like i know everything and brag everything up and have nothing to show for it except an old chevy pickup that needs work because I am too broke to pay for a new carburateor. So, with the little bit of money I had saved up I bought equipment placed ads had cards made up and waited for the phone to ring. I want to be busy as possible yes we all do, takes time. To me, Jason it sounds like your doing well enough without doing this. Thats where it boils down to. If you didn't make as much money would you continue and re-structure your business plans and idea's to make the money coming in? Typically, yes you would because you wouldn't let your self fail. I think you answered your own question's in the latter post. Your not motivated enough because you have the money already. To me when somebody says Mike cut that tree branch down I have 30 dollars Im climbing the tree. If I know it's worth more... thats fine i will still cut the branch down I'll still make money off of this person eventually. I don't worry about that part. Would you go and climb a tree or buy a ladder to cut the branch down and only make 30 dollars? Some would some wouldn't. I have an addiction to money. The grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence but, money always stays green. How much are you willing to spend to make a good profit? Some don't want to spend anything and make all sorts of money while others spend money to make money. It's not easy thats for sure. Bid high or too low your sucking air. I just don't let it bother me. It's like people won't push a lawnmower only sit down and ride. I'll push all day long. I don't know if this makes any sense to you or not. I'll re-read it and probably think WTF myself.

If it's not mowing lawns and whatever else now you have the taste in your mouth of what it takes to do something else to make money. It's alot of work to get started and continue the progress of being successful. Henry Ford says it best. "A business absolutely devoted to service will have only one worry about profits. They will be embarrassingly large".

Comment

You could very well have just hit the nail on the head. I had less than everything growing up. I worked hard and I am now a self made person that is very well off in this world. I really do not have to mow lawns or do anything for that matter. I have lived by the simple rule "Let your money make you more money" It would be reasonable to think that since I don't nee this to pay my bills I would not care if I work or not. On the other hand I completely realize how hard it is and yes I agree you need to spend money to make money. I am 8 thousand dollars into this and feel really stupid wanting to back out because I have yet to make that much from it. Will I eventually? Yes of course. The problem may have started with this very thinking. "here I am 8k poorer, how much more do I need to spend?" Then the thought why reorganize, I don't need this so just let it ride. Maybe I would be better off in this business buying 6 houses in the Caribbean and quitting my day job. Then my security would be gone and I would have to rely on this. That thought is a very stupid one though LOL I have worked very hard to become financially self sufficient and only a moron would toss that out the window. I have a very good idea now though. I am going to lock all my money away, I am going to direct deposit all my income to one of my national accounts with only online access "3-4 days to transfer" this way I truly will be broke. I will still maintain my wealth on paper but will be broke in the pocket. If I want to survive I will have to mow more lawns. This may be a great answer.
      White Company

Comment

Jason,

Do you ever wonder if it comes down to the money or a love for doing this whatever 'this' is.

I would venture to guess many who start a business do it for the love, even if it's the love of being their own boss, setting their own hours, enjoying the field they are working in, being outdoors, etc.

Then I feel everything falls into place like the old saying goes 'do what you love and the money will follow.'

Eventually you will make money at what ever it is you love to do if there is a need for it but until you get to that point, you will still be loving what you are doing, so it doesn't weigh heavily on your mind. If you are doing what you love, you are free, you have your freedom. And I think the vast majority of people dream of being free. Of being out there doing their own thing.
        - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
        Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Jason,

Do you ever wonder if it comes down to the money or a love for doing this whatever 'this' is.

I would venture to guess many who start a business do it for the love, even if it's the love of being their own boss, setting their own hours, enjoying the field they are working in, being outdoors, etc.

Then I feel everything falls into place like the old saying goes 'do what you love and the money will follow.'

Eventually you will make money at what ever it is you love to do if there is a need for it but until you get to that point, you will still be loving what you are doing, so it doesn't weigh heavily on your mind. If you are doing what you love, you are free, you have your freedom. And I think the vast majority of people dream of being free. Of being out there doing their own thing.
          I really do enjoy the work. I have always been a part of some sort of business venture. It seems business is in my blood but on that same note I have always had a regular employer. Maybe I'm just freaked out of having to rely on myself. Oh lord that sounds irresponsible doesn't it?
          White Company

Comment

Jason,

I don't "LOVE" mowing lawns! I love being outdoors. I "like" doing yard work. But most important: "I LOVE MONEY"!!! I am in this to make money. If you claim your not, STOP immediatly. I mean, come on. We're all here to make money otherwise we would mow for free. Yes, some of you REALLY like doing this, but the point is to make money. Also, I have only started this year and already ran into this mental thing. It seems some days you keep running into brick walls and everything turn to s**t. I have out out flyers, door hangers, cards to everyone I meet, some yard signs and contacted several realtors = NOTHING! Man, this sucks! At the same time I'm thinking 10 contracted customer my 1st season, I should be happy. Some nights I lay in bed and can't sleep because I think about the business. WOW! My head is spinning now! I think most of the folks on here have been there, done that at some point or another. My 2 cents: Keep digging! It'll get better. It has to. LOL

Comment

I really do love mowing lawns. I love seeing a landscape transform into something beautiful and the best, fastest way to do this is take care of a lawn. Make it lush and green again as most of mine are nearly dead by the time I am hired.
              White Company

Comment

I don't "LOVE" mowing lawns! I love being outdoors. I "like" doing yard work. But most important: "I LOVE MONEY"!!! I am in this to make money. If you claim your not, STOP immediatly. I mean, come on. We're all here to make money otherwise we would mow for free. Yes, some of you REALLY like doing this, but the point is to make money.
                You got me thinking a lot on this post.

First off I would like to know if you ever found any type of business that you loved doing and the money was an after thought? Do you feel something like that exists for you somewhere or does it exist for others?

Also, I have only started this year and already ran into this mental thing. It seems some days you keep running into brick walls and everything turn to s**t. I have out out flyers, door hangers, cards to everyone I meet, some yard signs and contacted several realtors = NOTHING! Man, this sucks! At the same time I'm thinking 10 contracted customer my 1st season, I should be happy. Some nights I lay in bed and can't sleep because I think about the business. WOW! My head is spinning now! I think most of the folks on here have been there, done that at some point or another. My 2 cents: Keep digging! It'll get better. It has to. LOL
                Can you tell us more about the mental thing? What goes on in your head when you are laying there thinking about your business? And is it just about business or is it about life and how business fits into that? Where is it taking you or you taking it?
                - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!

Comment

I love repairing anything! That is what I do for a living (lawn care is my other job). I have always liked trying to figure out how to make something work again or even make it better.
                  As far as thinking goes, I try to see how I could do something better; faster or just plain easier. What did I do wrong? Did I forgot something? Why is this customer upset? Why did this customer not call me back? How can I keep this from happening again? And on, and on, and on, and on.................
                  I guess I am just a very analytical person. Always trying to figure out stuff.
                  Damn JACK OF ALL TRADES, MASTER OF NONE syndrome I have.

Comment

I love repairing anything! That is what I do for a living (lawn care is my other job). I have always liked trying to figure out how to make something work again or even make it better.
                    As far as thinking goes, I try to see how I could do something better; faster or just plain easier. What did I do wrong? Did I forgot something? Why is this customer upset? Why did this customer not call me back? How can I keep this from happening again? And on, and on, and on, and on.................
                    I guess I am just a very analytical person. Always trying to figure out stuff.
                    Damn JACK OF ALL TRADES, MASTER OF NONE syndrome I have.
                    Do you find that this type of thinking gets in the way though? For example maybe you are thinking about how to better please a customer all the while getting there yard done faster so you could move on to the next and at the same time neglecting another customer?
                    White Company

Comment

Do you find that this type of thinking gets in the way though? For example maybe you are thinking about how to better please a customer all the while getting there yard done faster so you could move on to the next and at the same time neglecting another customer?
                      GOOD GOD, NO!!! I didn't mean for it to come across like that. Just yesterday I pulled a rather large shrup stump from a customers yard and didn't say a word. He called me today and asked what he owe's me and I said nothing. Just some of the perks that MY customers get. I pick up trash and little branches and stuff all the time. Granted, if there is a large branch I would ask for and almost always get the ok to cut it up if need be and remove it. I spry weed killer on the concrete cracks. I pull a weed here and there from the flower beds. I almost literally treat each yard as if it were my own.

Comment

neglect?

how could you compromise neglecting a customer when your trying to figure out speed? I think i know what your trying to say but, would you rather compromise you or them?

Comment

how could you compromise neglecting a customer when your trying to figure out speed? I think i know what your trying to say but, would you rather compromise you or them?
                          NEVER, EVER would I compromise a customer. I would break my back if need be to make sure my customer is satisfied.

Comment

Well I think today was the blow that broke the camels back. I took my guy out, this was his first day in charge of getting the p[lace done and well after about an hour of standing around I had to take the rains and do it all myself. I was hoping to hire someone to take care of business so I could relax in the office and focus on getting more business to us but apparently this was not meant to be or possibly I picked the wrong person. I started thinking "Wait a minute why am I tripping on this, that's it I quit. Clearly there is an issue here so rather than pick it apart I just quit" I guess it was fun while it lasted. The good news is now I have a lot of cool toys to work on my own yard with. oh well.
                            White Company

Comment

What do you think was the issue with the employee? Did he need more direction? What could have made the situation better?

Comment

What do you think was the issue with the employee? Did he need more direction? What could have made the situation better?
                                I am not sure what the problem is. Maybe this person just is not happy working for me, I cant see why. I provide lunch, drinks, beers after work and anything ells. Maybe the wage just is not worth it to him, I doubt it though as unemployed with wife someone would work for whatever they can get. Here is the kicker. Maybe I am not a good enough boss. Maybe i am to easy. I am not use to telling anyone what to do or to get off there but and pick up the pace. Its much easier for me to just do the work myself. I will have to have a talk with him. For sure I don't want to have to bring this up within ear shot of a client.
                                White Company

Comment

Working...
                                X