Spouse as a dependent?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spouse as a dependent?

I had been asked a question about claiming a spouse as a dependent when filing taxes.

On the IRS website it says:
    https://www.irs.gov/uac/Six-Importan...d-Exemptions-1

Your spouse is never considered your dependent. On a joint return, you may claim one exemption for yourself and one for your spouse. If you’re filing a separate return, you may claim the exemption for your spouse only if they had no gross income, are not filing a joint return, and were not the dependent of another taxpayer.

Has anyone ever claimed a spouse as a dependent or have any thoughts on it?

It seems like a bad idea.
    - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
    Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Historically, I always filed as Head of Household. At the time, my spouse was unemployed. The IRS would always treat her as a dependent as reflected by the tax credit incurred.
    integritylawnpro.com

Comment

Do you have any insight as to why that worked out better than a joint filing, even if the spouse didn't work?
      - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
      Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Do you have any insight as to why that worked out better than a joint filing, even if the spouse didn't work?
        Let me clarify, I filed jointly as head of household.
        integritylawnpro.com

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X