A couple of Craigslist ads

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A couple of Craigslist ads

About 99.9% of all the lawn care ads I've seen on Craigslist are just plain, boring text. I made up these 2 graphics and I wanted your opinions. Thx!
    Attached Files

Looks Good!

They look nice. Better then the other ones out there. Where did you make it?

Comment

Thanks. I created them with Photoshop CS3.

Comment

Great designs! You should consider putting up some without text so others can experiment with them too!

When you use these do you have any advice on what works best? Should you put text in the ad too? Would this help search engines find it or does the graphics alone stand out so much that it doesn't need additional text?

What's your advice?
        - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
        Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Thanks Steve. I'll take your advice and remove all the text, good idea!

As far as text in the ad, it is a MUST! Just in case someone doesn't know, if you put an image in your Craigslist ad and someone does a search, your ad will not show up in the search results. Why? Because CL search looks at text and it cannot read an image (jpg, gif). So what I suggest is underneath the ad putting keywords like: lawn care, lawncare, [city], [zip code], [service area], landscaping, mow, etc.
          Attached Files

Comment

Travor,

That is fantastic! Thank you so much!

What is your view on discounts or any type of special offers when using craigslist? Is it important or no?

Do you experiment much with trying to find which kind of ad brings in the most calls?
            - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!

Comment

Travor,

That is fantastic! Thank you so much!

What is your view on discounts or any type of special offers when using craigslist? Is it important or no?

Do you experiment much with trying to find which kind of ad brings in the most calls?
              Thank you, Steve. Discounts on CL are a good idea, especially if you have more than 1 ad running. You can "test" which ad is working by offering the same discount but different discount codes. 10% off 1st service isn't much off the bill but it looks like a lot to a potential client. Plus, consider the fact that he/she may become a long-term client then it is well worth a small upfront discount.

My best advice: don't try to re-invent the wheel! Look at the BIG players and copy what they're doing! After all, they put A LOT of R&D into their marketing, etc. One example off the top of my head is pricing everything at $xx.99. So $30 becomes $29.99. Also, stores are really good about offering 5 for $10 so what do people do? They buy 5 of [product]! Why don't they just buy 3 @ $2 each? It's the same price but subconsciously they're buying MORE!

Comment

My best advice: don't try to re-invent the wheel! Look at the BIG players and copy what they're doing!
                This brings up a very good point. Are any of the major lawn care businesses using craigslist? Do you ever see the bigger companies in your area on there? If not, why not? Where else are they advertising and should those other marketing avenues be utilized?

Comment

This brings up a very good point. Are any of the major lawn care businesses using craigslist? Do you ever see the bigger companies in your area on there? If not, why not? Where else are they advertising and should those other marketing avenues be utilized?
                  Good question. I don't know the answer to that. I was speaking in general terms of marketing and not so much specifically at big LCO's.

Comment

Well I guess, have you ever seen any ads in craigslist that really caught your attention? That you thought to yourself WOW this company really has their act together? If so what made them stand out?

Comment

Well I guess, have you ever seen any ads in craigslist that really caught your attention? That you thought to yourself WOW this company really has their act together? If so what made them stand out?
                      Well, I just went to houston.craigslist.org and put in "pest" in "all services offered" and checked "only search titles." I came up with 82 results and clicked on about 3 dozen. All of them, except for 1, had nothing but boring text. They were all pretty much the same except for 1 guy. He had a picture of his truck where you could see the signs on the side of the truck. Also, he put some animated text (his phone number) on the image.

Out of all those pest control guys in CL, this 1 is the only one I remember. I would have to read all other's text and maybe something would stick out and catch my attention.

Comment

That is fascinating though isn't it? You noticed this and now you are able to stand out.

Did you do graphic design in the past or marketing? I ask this because you did a really great looking job on those graphic ads.

Comment

That is fascinating though isn't it? You noticed this and now you are able to stand out.

Did you do graphic design in the past or marketing? I ask this because you did a really great looking job on those graphic ads.
                          I thought just a little bit more about this the past few minutes and realized that if ANY ONE of those pest control companies would have taken the time to put up ANY kind of image, like a picture of themselves, a mouse sitting on a stick of dynamite, or whatever, it would have stood out!

Thanks for the compliments on those 2 designs. Photoshop is just a hobby to keep me out of trouble.

Comment

I thought just a little bit more about this the past few minutes and realized that if ANY ONE of those pest control companies would have taken the time to put up ANY kind of image, like a picture of themselves, a mouse sitting on a stick of dynamite, or whatever, it would have stood out!
                            It makes you wonder if you could put something like that together and offer those services and then sub them out

Comment

how do i put a pic on craigslist? i can not copy and paste im not sure how to put a template on CL?

Comment

Working...
                              X