Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did you ever see this guerrilla marketing campaign?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did you ever see this guerrilla marketing campaign?

Did you ever see this T-Mobile guerrilla marketing campaign?

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VQ3d3KigPQM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VQ3d3KigPQM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

This was really wild. Then watch the behind the scenes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVFNM...eature=channel

Did it work as a marketing campaign?

Well we are talking about it here LOL

It makes you wonder what you could do to stand out.
    - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
    Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

They have done public sing alongs too! How awesome is this!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/J-sD0prudqk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/J-sD0prudqk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
    - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!

Comment

At the end of the video it says T-Mobile - Life's For Sharing.

Brilliant!

I have watched it a bunch of times now. Absolutely genius!

Comment

LOL

good find.

Comment

It makes you wonder ig you could organize an impromptu event yourself? Maybe a cleanup ?

Comment

no offense Steve, but this type of "advertisement" does nothing for me. Matter of fact, when I see it, the first thing that comes to my mind is that they must have had some advertising $$ they needed to dispose of quickly. Like said I do not see any advertising value what so ever with these vids. I have to ask, how do these videos promote cellular service?

Like said, I wonder if they had some advert $$ they needed to dispose of quickly. They do not bring me any closer to buying their product. It's not like the microphones they are using are t-mobile or you can see that the telephones they are talking on are t-mobile. In my opinion these vids don't even qualify as viral.

Comment

Thats a very good point and question.

I think the view is this.

This event was very pop culture. It attracted youth. Hip youth. Those that get involved are also probably very friendly with others and are mouth pieces that promote hip culture.

These events are different and different events attract media attention and create media impressions.

I did a search for "T-Mobile Dance" and found over 200,000 related sites.

Do a search for the video on youtube and you will see one of them has had 11,823,719 views.

That is 11 MILLION views. That is buzz! Buzz creates awareness of a brand and attributes hipness to T-Mobile. When you add their slogan "Life's For Sharing" you create a very strong marketing message.

If I am at a cell phone store and I have a choice between buying this brand phone or that one, I just might buy the T-Mobile phone because I think of them as a 'cool' company. And within a certain age demographic this desire can be a lot stronger.

Ultimately I think they got a huge marketing bang for their buck.

Comment

Thats a very good point and question.

I think the view is this.

This event was very pop culture. It attracted youth. Hip youth. Those that get involved are also probably very friendly with others and are mouth pieces that promote hip culture.

These events are different and different events attract media attention and create media impressions.

I did a search for "T-Mobile Dance" and found over 200,000 related sites.

Do a search for the video on youtube and you will see one of them has had 11,823,719 views.

That is 11 MILLION views. That is buzz! Buzz creates awareness of a brand and attributes hipness to T-Mobile. When you add their slogan "Life's For Sharing" you create a very strong marketing message.

If I am at a cell phone store and I have a choice between buying this brand phone or that one, I just might buy the T-Mobile phone because I think of them as a 'cool' company. And within a certain age demographic this desire can be a lot stronger.

Ultimately I think they got a huge marketing bang for their buck.
                I suppose it is all in the target audience?! Like I said, if they are trying to win my business with that, they have just lost. But apparently they were trying to reach a certain demographic. Just not the one where I may be found!!

Comment

I thought this was fascinating too. After the event they did some interviews and many people just loved it. A woman at the end of the video says "I was in a bad mood when I got here but now I am in a good one."

That is pretty powerful. I am having a hard time thinking of the last time I saw a marketing message/event that really uplifted people's spirits. It does make you think though of the possibilities.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9Jv6rHJiNhQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9Jv6rHJiNhQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Comment

this is called a Flash Mob. they do it in very different way like hundreds of people just freeze in motion for like 10 mis and then just snap out of it and go on like nothing happened

Comment

Like I said before, this ind of campaign does nothing positive for me toward buy the product. And my personal opinion is if this is what makes me be in a good mood, then my life is pretty sad and I need to get a real life. My life would be based on some very unstable ground and I would not want to live it...... No offense to you Steve, but in my humble opinion that is just about the most worthless campaign ever.

Comment

No problem. Some marketing campaigns will connect with the viewer and some won't. It's the nature of the beast.

It's quite possible we can learn the most from the ones that don't connect with us.

Comment

I know this is a couple days old now but I just stumbled upon it. I think sometimes companies advertise for name recognition, not necessarily why you should use their product. Look at any superbowl commercial. They're meant to be origional and stand out. Look at Coke (polar bears), Geico(a gecko), Pepsi(Michael Jackson?!), Budweiser(clydesdales), or my favorite, the Bumblebee Tuna song. My kids and I sing along whenever its on and in the store they want to buy it! Most of these aren't telling you about their qualities or why you should buy them, but like Steve said, it makes you relate to them as a "cool" company. It may not work for you, but the worlds top advertisers spent billions a year because it obviously is working on someone! The challenge, of course, is applying the idea to our industry and toning it down to a local level. I think its great marketing though. After all, we're still talking about it!
                          www.speedyspiderlawncare.com

Comment

I've got to agree with SuperiorPower on this one, although it's a perfect example of how screwed up most people's thinking of marketing is.

The purpose of marketing is to interrupt your prospects, engage them in a meaningful conversation about their problems/wants/needs, then educate them on how your product/service solves their problems/wants/needs, and finally make them an offer that moves them closer to actually buying your product/service.

Unfortunately, most businesses think the idea of marketing is to simply build their brand. Unless you're a huge company that has billions of dollars to spend on marketing, branding style marketing is a HUGE waste of money. It's even a waste for large companies. Sure T-Mobile generated a memorable commercial, but if you asked them how well it generated sales, they wouldn't be able to tell you.

Yes, there is some legitimacy to 'brand value', but you should NEVER spend money simply to build your brand. Instead, focus on educating your prospects and making them offers that move them closer to purchasing what you sell.

I actually did a report on this very topic and you can get a free download of it here:

www.FREELawnCareMarketingSecrets.com
                            Chestin

Comment

Many people that need lawn care don't know any companies off hand and if they remembered someone's brand, that's who they'd call. Its a stretch to say that most of the biggest, most lucrative names in business have screwed up thinking of marketing. If you want a free credit report, where are you going to go first? Exactly. Which freecreditreport dot com song is in your head right now? Sure, there are other places to go, but I couldn't tell you where off hand. If your lawn care name stuck out in someones head, who would they call first? After they got to your web site or talk to you, you can give them the reason's you are the best, and why they should use you. The object is when someone in your market thinks "lawn care" your name is the first to pop in their head. Obviously, its not the only marketing technique, and in classifieds next to six other lawn ads, other methods would be used, but by the time someone is looking in classifieds, you already missed your shot at them remembering your brand, or they wouldn't be there
                              www.speedyspiderlawncare.com

Comment

Working...
                              X