X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve
    started a topic Important numbers - marketing idea

Important numbers - marketing idea

Here is an idea to make sure your magnet sticks around.

Get a list of local important numbers in the area.
    Town numbers like the mayor, police, library, water and sewer dept. You can find most of these on your towns websites.
    Then list other numbers like local pizzerias, sub shops, and others.

Maybe get a local electrician, plumber, carpenter, roofer etc. They could potentially help you buy some of these magnets and hand them out themselves as well, to help offset the costs.

Then have a section for lawn care and list only your phone number.

Stick these on doors in your area and be sure that your number will stick around for quite some time.

You could also have different discounts for services through out the year.
    Attached Files

• Steve
    replied
    Yeah try it out and if you get good feedback scale it up. Let us know what kind of feedback you get from the other business owners you contact.

Leave a comment:

• Fotch
    replied
    Thats a good Idea. maybe I should scale it back a bit and do a small run with just a few buisnesses first. it would take up less of my time too. ah man.. too many possibilities.

Leave a comment:

• Steve
    replied
    The thing I like about this is that you can scale it up. Start with a short run and see how that works. Then get more people involved and print more of them up.

What is your plan so far? How many businesses are you trying to get involved and how many magnets do you want to print?

Leave a comment:

• Fotch
    replied
    When you say inserts, are you saying the newspaper will insert a magnet? Or what kind of insert do you mean?
    Yep, the paper will add it into each paper with the other fliers. easy distribution. But I think getting people to distribute them might hit your target area better. It keeps them out of appartment buildings and news stands, where the people aren't probably gonna call you anyways.

I'm thinking of directing it to homeowners. have numbers of companies they might need, Heating guy, plumber, etc. it keeps focus on your target market.

It'd be cheaper too. 10000 is a lot of magnets.

Leave a comment:

• Steve
    replied
    I had a quick look into this too, great Idea. But.. for my little town, the free weekly newspaper distribution is 10200, they will put an insert in it for $75 per thousand, For the magnets themselves, cheapest place online I can find for a 5x7 is 48 cents each based on 10000, so.. $4800 plus shipping for the magnets and another $750 for distribution put me at $5550 before taxes and labour. it looks like I can get about 40 companies on there. So for about $140 per company I can break even. How can you offer bold for $45? what is your circulation estimates? how many magnets are you looking to create?
    When you say inserts, are you saying the newspaper will insert a magnet? Or what kind of insert do you mean?

Are you just getting each contact a certain amount of magnets and letting them pass them out to whoever?
    I think this is what they are doing.

Leave a comment:

• Fotch
    replied
    $ amounts

I had a quick look into this too, great Idea. But.. for my little town, the free weekly newspaper distribution is 10200, they will put an insert in it for $75 per thousand, For the magnets themselves, cheapest place online I can find for a 5x7 is 48 cents each based on 10000, so.. $4800 plus shipping for the magnets and another $750 for distribution put me at $5550 before taxes and labour. it looks like I can get about 40 companies on there. So for about $140 per company I can break even. How can you offer bold for $45? what is your circulation estimates? how many magnets are you looking to create?

Are you just getting each contact a certain amount of magnets and letting them pass them out to whoever?

Leave a comment:

• mario543k20
    replied
    Where is the best place to get the larger size magnets printed in bulk?
    ask your local print shop, and tell them you'll give them a spot on the magnet for free under advertising etc.

This is a great idea. I think once my business is registered and I have a few more clients I will try this out.

Big Lebowski, how much are you charging each business for a standard ad on your magnets if you don't mind me asking? I know prices for each advertisement will change, depending on how good of a deal you get from the print shop, I just want to know a rough estimate of what your charging.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Where is the best place to get the larger size magnets printed in bulk?

Leave a comment:

• Steve
    replied
    You know, you could expand into calendars too. Have local community calendars with coupons at the bottom of the calendar and pictures on the top?

Also, what would be the best way to break into other markets? Should you contact other lawn care businesses in other areas and offer to put them on for free if they help you build up a list of potential customers? Or do you even need a lawn care business to take part in it like that?

Leave a comment:

• Big Lebowski
    replied
    Good idea. But for me, I hate giving money away. I'm telling you, this product is worth it. So far people love it. It's going to keep me busy for quite some time.

But rather than offering a discount, I'd rather offer something that would add value and at the same time, not cost me a thing. I always like these ideas, they get more - I don't lose or give-away money. Here it is: Free bold-type today. Right now I have bold listed at $45. That is a nice add on. They can see the savings and more importantly they can see how it would increase the value of their ad. Let's face it, we can all spend a lot of money on things if we really want it. But all we really want is value. Is it worth it? I can't tell you how many times I thought I was getting a good deal and it turned out to be junk. I would have rather have spent a little more to get that extra value.

The reality is this, what does bold-type really cost? Nothing. It never has, it never will. But the genius was to offer it for a price, a fantastic idea by the phone book people and boy it works! The best part is that you can use it as a tool or leverage to sway somebody that is on the fence and you've really only bartered with perceived value and nothing that shortens the stack in your pocket.

I have started to reply many times to some of the topics on here where the ideas cost money but every time I stop so I don't step on anybodys ideas. I am from the school where I don't believe you have to throw away money to convince folks to pay attention to you. If I am to lower prices, I would rather do it the the way furniture sales people do it. Raise it by double then have a 1/2 off sale. ha ha (illegal by the way)

Leave a comment:

• Steve
    replied
    Thats great stuff!

It makes you wonder too if you could create some kind of offer that was only good for today before you leave. Like 10% off? Something that would make them want to jump on it and not miss the offer.

We talk about this all the time in lawn care how you should make an offer and a time limit to get them to act, well how about with this as well?

Leave a comment:

• Big Lebowski
    replied
    First my approach was wrong. I always hated sales people, so to be sure that I wasn't high-pressure, I was saying to everyone that it was OK with me if they didn't want it. He said NO! He said they have to! Their crazy not to! The world is coming to an end if they don't participate! You get the point and he's right, the product is really creative and valuable.

And this one floored me. I'm still a little in awe about it. Here is the suggestion. Before I go into an area, know who I will be visiting, put these businesses on the example that I show (paper). "What?! That's brilliant!!!!" So I immediately thought what it meant to me and my product: This little nugget works two-fold (you'll love this). First they see all these other businesses they recognize already on there (you don't offer that you haven't secured them just yet). They will immediately see the value and will not want to be left out or missed. Secondly, they see themselves on it already. How would you feel if I said, "it's OK I can take you off". Ha ha! So the effort involved in this? Minimal really, edit them daily after you get home. This also allows me to have a current running version and know exactly where I stand for filling it up. So what happens if I visit a business that isn't a planned stop? No problem, you say you have 1-2 spots left and one actually says "still available" and the other you are following up on later today. This is their chance to be apart of a very exciting opportunity and their chance is passing by quickly - they had better hurry.

Isn't that brilliant?!!! It pulled me out of the funk of not selling yesterday. I was so anxious to get started today I awoke at 6:30 and started planning my day and had the best one yet!

I have one spot left. I mow the next two and will use the weekend to make plans for the new magnet and area. I knew it! I knew it!
    Last edited by Big Lebowski; 09-17-2008, 08:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Steve
    replied
    Well, that's it. I may report whats going on later but I will be shutting up a little more about this since it is not lawn related.
    You don't have to shut up. This is all fascinating stuff!

Oh I have to say that my success today was from learning from a friend who had a few selling tools that really worked. And today was the biggest day I've had yet.
    What kinds of things have you found that he showed you that really helped?

Leave a comment:

• Big Lebowski
    replied
    Update. Yesterday everybody said no. I got one sale and it was a cold-call I didn't know. I felt a little beat up from it all.

Today another victory. I am ready to go to print. I might be able to squeeze a few more.

Problems I have discovered. Even at 5x7 I ran out room quickly. I am going to have to raise prices quite a bit to get the number of pieces that some want to see. I could keep prices lower if I could fit more names on the magnet. But then the magnet gets more expensive and too big for the fridge. I will have to leave off the little avatars to really get more numbers on.

Well, that's it. I may report whats going on later but I will be shutting up a little more about this since it is not lawn related.

Oh I have to say that my success today was from learning from a friend who had a few selling tools that really worked. And today was the biggest day I've had yet.

In case anybody was wondering, I am start up with the lawns and I mow 2 days a week on my own and occasionally with a couple guys and that is why I have time for this.

Leave a comment:

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X