fliers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fliers

What is the best way to hand out fliers in a suburban neighborhood? In the past I have done a 3 man crew, me driving with trailer and 2 kids handing out the fliers, 1 on each side of the street. What is the best time of day. I have always done it during the business day and had them taped to the door knob so people will see when they get home from work. Also if anyone has used direct mail how were your returns compared to fliers, I haven't tried direct yet because its over twice the cost but if its a better value I will. Thanks for any advice Im planning to be a marketing beast next season.

What is the best way to hand out fliers in a suburban neighborhood? In the past I have done a 3 man crew, me driving with trailer and 2 kids handing out the fliers, 1 on each side of the street.
    There is a lot of information on this in the forum here and on my lawn care business blog. So please read up on all that.

The way you are doing it sounds fine. You are getting the flyers out and you know they are getting to your target audience because you are there watching it get done.

Something you could try too is getting door hangers made with magnetic business cards on them or simply distributing magnetic business cards and sticking them to the door or door frames.

You want your message to be there when the customer is ready to call. With a magnet, they will most likely keep it and then be able to call you when they are ready.

What is the best time of day. I have always done it during the business day and had them taped to the door knob so people will see when they get home from work.
    There has been a lot of discussion on this too. If you do it during the day, you can get a lot out as you are not ringing doors and talking to people. However on the flip side, if you ring door bells and talk to folks, you reach less people but you have a better ability to sell as you are right there to talk to them and give them your sales pitch.

Also if anyone has used direct mail how were your returns compared to fliers, I haven't tried direct yet because its over twice the cost but if its a better value I will.
    Direct mail will let you reach out to more people in less time and also allow you to hit the same home multiple times through out the year.

From what we have seen on here, the more times you reach out to the same customer base, the better your chances are of getting them to sign up.

As far as response rates, one flyer or one mailing may bring you a 1 to 2 % response rate. But the more time they get to hear your message through out the year, the response rate goes up.

It's better to hit a smaller group of homes multiple times, than a larger group only once.
    - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
    Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

I won't go in to all my flyer experience but I will tell you 2 things.

Most likely in order to ring a door bell or knock on a door you will need a permit. Ok, so lots of guys don't have a permit.... but it is probably the law in your town.

If you have anyone besides your kids pass out flyers you should do a background check on them.

These 2 things actually coincide. The permit for knocking is issued because of crimes.... mostly murders. This way they know who is going door to door. Same with flyers, if you have someone out passing out flyers and if you leave them alone for 5 minutes and they steal something or start trying to open the front doors or murder someone.... I wouldn't want to be in your shoes.

Weird thing is.... lots of murders happen each year by people who are posing as door to door salesmen. Key word.... POSING.

Best time..... the early bird gets the worm but the late duck gets to take the early birds flyer off the door and put his own on the door.

Comment

Best time..... the early bird gets the worm but the late duck gets to take the early birds flyer off the door and put his own on the door.
        Earlier this year, I had this happen to me. I was given permission by the HOA to place fliers in the paperboxes adjacent to residents' mailbox. A competitor did not like this and started to remove my distributed fliers. I caught him on video with my phone and called the cops. He got busted for stealing private property. The law states that as soon as an item is delivered to a residence/place of business, it becomes the property of that residence/place of business. Only the owner has the right to handle it. In the end, he had to pay a crapload of fines, and apologize to those he stole from.
        I was so upset by how low this guy was, that I contacted the HOA President (a long time customer) and requested the incident be published in an urgent email to the residents. Needless to say, that competitor is no longer in that neighborhood, nor many others due to the bad public shaming I have brought upon him. Don't ever steal a flier. It's a crime that can cost you your business and reputation.
        integritylawnpro.com

Comment

I won't go in to all my flyer experience but I will tell you 2 things.
          It sounds like you have had more crazy experiences with flyer distributing.

Anything else stand out you can tell us about?
          - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!

Comment

That's a 1 in a trillion thing that might happen. I've known hundreds of people that have done it and we used to do it some. I always take 1 of each so I can look at them when I get home and laugh. 99.99999% of the flyers suck so bad we were doing them a favor by taking them off the door. That way they didn't embarrass them self. But, that's why I always got the calls, mine didn't suck.

I'd have my flyer people ask if I wanted them to take them off the door and I'd usually say no because in the time they spent taking them off, they could pass out twice as many flyers. But I am not above taking them off by any means, we just didn't.

Comment

That's a 1 in a trillion thing that might happen. I've known hundreds of people that have done it and we used to do it some. I always take 1 of each so I can look at them when I get home and laugh. 99.99999% of the flyers suck so bad we were doing them a favor by taking them off the door. That way they didn't embarrass them self. But, that's why I always got the calls, mine didn't suck.

I'd have my flyer people ask if I wanted them to take them off the door and I'd usually say no because in the time they spent taking them off, they could pass out twice as many flyers. But I am not above taking them off by any means, we just didn't.
              Please post one of your fliers here. I'd like to see how great it is.
              integritylawnpro.com

Comment

Do you guys think size makes a difference. I was thinking about the 5x8 door hanger instead of the standard skinny ones. Also what color scheme do you think is the best. I am thinking about using blue, green, and orange. also do you have any recommendations for who to use for the door hangers with magnet business cards.

Comment

Yeah, since 1995 people have asked to see my flyers. I have made a few and put them online but I have never put all my secrets of my real flyers on the internet. About 10 years ago I used to charge people $40 to make their flyers. Problem with that was.... they complained that mine were too simple. So I stopped making them for others. Yep, mine are too simple.... only 1 picture, of myself. No other fancy stuff. No fancy text. No cute little pictures of lawn mowers. One key is the heading and after that, it's all about becoming their friend and not just another business trying to sell you something. Nice, neat, easy to read in less than 20 seconds. If it takes over 20 seconds to read your flyer it will never work very good. I do the same with my websites for every business I have. While the other guys are busy being fancy, I'm counting my profit. I have a website for another business going live probably by October and I expect it to be ranking #1 for several key search words by February.

I will give you 1 key thing that I've never told anyone, even when I was charging $40. What color is 99 out of 100 lawn care flyers? Green. I've never used green for lawn care. I use white and I use pink. Pink you say? Whaaat? If 100 guys go in to a bar and 99 of them are wearing green and I am wearing pink, who gets noticed? Yes, I know.... set myself up for several jokes... but in reality....

And just between you and me, if you put a rubber band or anything around your flyer, ask yourself this question.... how many people do you think will take the flyer out of the rubber band to read it? If you don't realize you are losing a LOT of potential customers by doing that, you are crazy!

Here is one for you, I don't know if this is a winner or a loser but I either had a brain storm or a brain fart about 5 years ago. Pass out your flyers on the day the trashman comes by. AFTER he empties the trash, tape your flyer to the lid of the trashcan so when the home owner is pushing it back in they can read it.... or possible throw it away. I'm not sure, I never really did enough to get any data.

I've always thought of it this way.... I'd rather the credit union be impressed with my deposits than internet people be impressed with my flyers. I ain't giving up my good secrets. I guess you will have to find one of my flyers on a door. Should be easy to spot, just look for the one that is not green. I'm really surprised no one has copied any of mine but again, I think they think they are too simple.

Comment

Josh, I know for a fact that size does not matter, in this case atleast.

I once had a competitor that had a flyer about 5x8 and rounded corners. Very nice, thick, they spent some big money on these.... they had it all.... almost. Problem was, they were VERY proud of their company name. They were so proud of how clean this flyer looked and having their company name AT THE TOP (????) instead of a catchy heading, they didn't notice there was no phone number on the flyer. The body of the flyer also sucked but I'm here to tell you, that was a beautiful flyer. No phone number, no catchy heading and the message sucked but that was the best damn looking flyer I've ever seen in my life, and it was smaller than most. I debated on doing one just like it, except with a catchy heading, a good body and the phone number but my calculator just wouldn't let me do it. Those rounded corners ain't cheap!

The moral of the story, as long as it's not too small, I don't think the size matters but the heading and the body sure do matter. Don't make the type so small people with bad eyes can't see it just because you want to make a smaller flyer.

Comment

Pass out your flyers on the day the trashman comes by. AFTER he empties the trash, tape your flyer to the lid of the trashcan so when the home owner is pushing it back in they can read it.... or possible throw it away. I'm not sure, I never really did enough to get any data.
                      That is a very creative idea! You could possibly even do a door hanger and have it wrap around the garbage can handle.

Then maybe you could play with the marketing message. Something like this.

"Wait, before you throw this out!"

(insert your lawn care message)

Then maybe have a magnetic business card attached to it that says, keep this magnet for a time when you don't want to mow your lawn.

Comment

lol Dang Steve, that would cost a ton of money. I spend a couple of cents on a flyer and make money not spend it. Ssshhhh listen real close... did you hear my (*) squeak when I was walking just now? When it comes to marketing the goal is to spend the least and make the most.

Comment

Track the result

I agree with Steve about door hangers and business ref magnets. They costs more, but they convert better. Ref magnet is something useful that anyone would likely keep and display in front of their fridge. Imagine your name and phone number inside of everyone's home. But this doesn't mean that flyers won't work. They also do. But what's important is whatever form of advertising you do - track the result. Repeat what converts more and forget about any method that doesn't.

Comment

What color is 99 out of 100 lawn care flyers? Green.
                            Same goes with websites. There's NO reason to use a "green" theme. Ever. It just makes it look like everyone elses site.

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X