Craigslist Ads

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craigslist Ads

We've been advertising on Craigslist for a long time > 5 years. Does anyone have any tricks to share for lawn service ads? Our tree service ads bring lots of calls, 2nd to that fencing install/repair and then handyman services. We do have a lot of lawn ads under farm & garden so that's part of it - but anyone have any better ideas? Wrong category? Wrong ad? With tree care, we've proven that an html ad or hosted jpeg ad works much, much better than words and photos.

try house hold services. Also use lots of 'keywords' add about 20 lines under your ad and then everything you can think of that people would put in to search with.. examples: lawn, mowing, mow, grass, your town name, any area you service, etc

Comment

We've been advertising on Craigslist for a long time > 5 years. Does anyone have any tricks to share for lawn service ads? Our tree service ads bring lots of calls, 2nd to that fencing install/repair and then handyman services. We do have a lot of lawn ads under farm & garden so that's part of it - but anyone have any better ideas? Wrong category? Wrong ad? With tree care, we've proven that an html ad or hosted jpeg ad works much, much better than words and photos.
      List it as farm and garden service makes a huge difference

Comment

I take Steve's approach.

I use Farm & Garden and Household services. Pictures help a lot. One main thing that sets me aside is I use not so normal titles. Everyone here uses the same title " Call XXXXX for lawn service" or "We cut lawns cheap!" One title I used was "Don't worry, we're here for you!" its different. Change them up and keep them odd. I am always looking online to see what competitors are doing so I can be different.

Comment

Craigslist Ads

Thanks everyone for responding. I have looked at what everyone else is doing for sure, and tried different tag lines. Anyone have anything else that has worked as an "attention getter"?

Comment

Do you have an ad currently? Maybe post a link and then we could make suggestions.
            http://www.lunchesruslawncare.com

Comment

I take Steve's approach.

I use Farm & Garden and Household services. Pictures help a lot. One main thing that sets me aside is I use not so normal titles. Everyone here uses the same title " Call XXXXX for lawn service" or "We cut lawns cheap!" One title I used was "Don't worry, we're here for you!" its different. Change them up and keep them odd. I am always looking online to see what competitors are doing so I can be different.

or you could put, we wipe your azz off when we are done.

ha ha ha

Comment

or you could put, we wipe your azz off when we are done.

ha ha ha
                No crap there is an ad by me that says "your wife is hot!" Then underneath that it says "call us for an a/c tune up"

I'll take your advice and change my ad to put what you wrote. Wish me luck!

Comment

No crap there is an ad by me that says "your wife is hot!" Then underneath that it says "call us for an a/c tune up"

I'll take your advice and change my ad to put what you wrote. Wish me luck!

that is hilarious

Comment

There is some more information about craigslist ads on my blog you may be interested in reading.

For instance

How to get more lawn care customers from craigslist.

More articles on advertising on craigslist here.
                    - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
                    Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Solicitation By Mail??!?

I've never had any luck with craigslist but also havent been trying very long. I was thinking about sending very personalized letters in the mail to homes and commercial properties that i know have just been sold. I was wondering if this was legal or if there were any solicitaion permates i would need to get in order to do this. I have had industrial commercial properties in mind for snow plowing specifically. IDK if that makes a difference.

Comment

I've never had any luck with craigslist but also havent been trying very long. I was thinking about sending very personalized letters in the mail to homes and commercial properties that i know have just been sold. I was wondering if this was legal or if there were any solicitaion permates i would need to get in order to do this. I have had industrial commercial properties in mind for snow plowing specifically. IDK if that makes a difference.

you don't need anything for CL other then the gumption to work for cheap people that don't want to pay.

i know some here will jump on me for saying so but 99.9% of the people that respond are looking to get something for nothing and based on that reason alone is why CL is a success.
                        i have never seen any type of quality business advertised on CL and because it is free is it attracts every wannabe out there.

if you want to attract quality accounts you must advertise like a true professional or all you will get is the bottom of the barrel.

Comment

you don't need anything for CL other then the gumption to work for cheap people that don't want to pay.

i know some here will jump on me for saying so but 99.9% of the people that respond are looking to get something for nothing and based on that reason alone is why CL is a success.
                          i have never seen any type of quality business advertised on CL and because it is free is it attracts every wannabe out there.

if you want to attract quality accounts you must advertise like a true professional or all you will get is the bottom of the barrel.
                          To me, I think it's how you present yourself, and your company. Take these 2 ad's, both are in my area posted right now:

Ad 1:===> LAWN MOWING SERVICE - $30
                          I charge $30 for a job that takes an hour or less. I bring my mower and can bag the grass for free if you prefer. People wanting a greener lawn can have fertilizer added for $20. Please have cash for payment. Call or text me at XXX-XXX-XXXX. Thanks!

Ad 2:
                          LET US TAKE CARE OF ALL THOSE LEAVES

THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME TO LOOK AT OUR AD!

WE ARE A SMALL COMPANY BASED OUT OF SILVER SPRING, PROVIDING QUALITY WORK TO YOUR AREA FOR 26 YEARS.

SERVICES: LANDSCAPING, GENERAL CLEANUPS, PLANTING, MULCHING, TREE WORK, STONE WORK, PLUS MORE.

PLEASE GIVE US A CALL TODAY TO SCHEDULE YOUR FREE ESTIMATE. IF WE ARE NOT IN, PLEASE LEAVE YOUR NAME AND NUMBER, AND I PROMISE, WE WILL GET BACK TO YOU.

HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY!

ABCD LANDSCAPING XXX-XXX-XXXX OR XXX-XXX-XXXX

The 2nd ad had a nice big picture and 2 phone numbers, and the first ad was blank. The 2nd ad states they have been in business 26 years, the first never said anything. If I were a homeowner looking for a cheap lawn service, I would call Ad 1. He, as the ad poster, attracts this type of client. If I gave a crap about my lawn, wanted reliable service, and was willing to most likely pay a bit extra, then Ad 2 is the way to go. Both didn't pay a cent to post their ad, but one company holds itself higher than the other.

If you use Craigslist to search in the "labor" section (where people post what they want done), that is 99.999999% a waste of time. Those are the true CHEAP people looking for the best price.

Craigslist is a good tool to use. But just like anything else, the tool is worthless if you don't know how to use it.

Comment

To me, I think it's how you present yourself, and your company. Take these 2 ad's, both are in my area posted right now:

Ad 1:===> LAWN MOWING SERVICE - $30
                            I charge $30 for a job that takes an hour or less. I bring my mower and can bag the grass for free if you prefer. People wanting a greener lawn can have fertilizer added for $20. Please have cash for payment. Call or text me at XXX-XXX-XXXX. Thanks!

Ad 2:
                            LET US TAKE CARE OF ALL THOSE LEAVES

THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME TO LOOK AT OUR AD!

WE ARE A SMALL COMPANY BASED OUT OF SILVER SPRING, PROVIDING QUALITY WORK TO YOUR AREA FOR 26 YEARS.

SERVICES: LANDSCAPING, GENERAL CLEANUPS, PLANTING, MULCHING, TREE WORK, STONE WORK, PLUS MORE.

PLEASE GIVE US A CALL TODAY TO SCHEDULE YOUR FREE ESTIMATE. IF WE ARE NOT IN, PLEASE LEAVE YOUR NAME AND NUMBER, AND I PROMISE, WE WILL GET BACK TO YOU.

HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY!

ABCD LANDSCAPING XXX-XXX-XXXX OR XXX-XXX-XXXX

The 2nd ad had a nice big picture and 2 phone numbers, and the first ad was blank. The 2nd ad states they have been in business 26 years, the first never said anything. If I were a homeowner looking for a cheap lawn service, I would call Ad 1. He, as the ad poster, attracts this type of client. If I gave a crap about my lawn, wanted reliable service, and was willing to most likely pay a bit extra, then Ad 2 is the way to go. Both didn't pay a cent to post their ad, but one company holds itself higher than the other.

If you use Craigslist to search in the "labor" section (where people post what they want done), that is 99.999999% a waste of time. Those are the true CHEAP people looking for the best price.

Craigslist is a good tool to use. But just like anything else, the tool is worthless if you don't know how to use it.

i understand what you are saying and wording of the ad will definitely help but seriously, it's craigslist.
                            it may be ok for for someone starting out with little overhead but even then it still has it's limitations.
                            but at the same time it does a disservice for the guy starting out because he is gonna have a business built up around bottom dweller customers.
                            i know CL talk is a big debate and there are the guys who swear by it and i am sure it varies from region to region but speaking purely based on how CL is here in NJ it is pure bullcrap.
                            in my county and the northern part of the state most people would view a business advertising on CL as desperate and a good probability that they are not a fully 100% legit company.
                            it is a ok place to sell something or even buy something and from time to time you can find a halfway decent worker but even then it is limited.

a good test of the IQ of CL users is to put a ad either selling something or hiring someone and put specific things in the ad like leave phone number or i will not respond or must have experience or price is not negotiable or something to that effect and i guarantee it will go completely over their head.

it may seem petty but people with low IQ's have no money and i won't work for anyone that has no money.
                            i sell high end services and i will only work for those who can afford to pay for the service.
                            i will not waste my time with people that want the bare minimum or only want me to cut their lawn every two weeks.
                            the type of consumer i target has better things to do with their time then haggle for what they view as nickle and dime.
                            300, 400, 500 dollars is nickle and dime to someone who's mortgage is 10 k a month and they are leasing a car that cost then 1,500 a month.

500 dollars is a lot of money to me but to people like that it is nothing.
                            they are a totally different species of people and they write checks for 10 k like you and me write a check for 100 bucks to the electric company, it does not even phase them and those people don't even waste their time on CL.

Comment

it does a disservice for the guy starting out because he is gonna have a business built up around bottom dweller customers.
                              When you look back to when you got started, do you feel you had a lot of bottom dweller customers or no?

Does starting out and having bottom dweller customers go hand in hand most of the time or no?
                              - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
                              Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X