feeling like im being took advantage of

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• feeling like im being took advantage of

Got this one worker that is great at what he does, every now and then he doesn't really listen to what I say, he will nod his head and say ok then do it wrong again, thats not the big issue, he has been asking odd questions lately, out of no where he asks how much are edgers, not biggie, next he asks how much it is to dump brush at the dump, then he comes up and asks me how I am getting jobs from the property manager. He also told my other workers he wish he knew how I was getting work from the property manager. To me it feels like he is trying to learn off me and ditch me. I ask him what his plans are he just says oh no i dont want to work for them i was just wondering. What should I do from here? I dont want to keep training him and then he go under me.

Got this one worker that is great at what he does, every now and then he doesn't really listen to what I say, he will nod his head and say ok then do it wrong again, thats not the big issue, he has been asking odd questions lately, out of no where he asks how much are edgers, not biggie, next he asks how much it is to dump brush at the dump, then he comes up and asks me how I am getting jobs from the property manager. He also told my other workers he wish he knew how I was getting work from the property manager. To me it feels like he is trying to learn off me and ditch me. I ask him what his plans are he just says oh no i dont want to work for them i was just wondering. What should I do from here? I dont want to keep training him and then he go under me.
    You don't know what to do really?

Comment

That's just part of the business. Those that want to do better for themselves will eventually give it a go. You can't fault them for that.

Many can do the work but few can run a business. Out of all the guys I have had over the years, only one has grown their own business. We are still great friends to this day.

Good help is hard to find. The growing season is here and you'll probably get another year or two out of him before he decides it's time.
      Don't Keep Replacing Lawn Sprinkler Heads
      Protect them with "Sprinkler Buddy"
      CLICK HERE > http://www.sprinklerbuddy.com

Comment

The thing is, he could be in training to be a crew chief or a sales person for you and you would teach him a lot of this. If he didn't say anything to you, you would have no idea if or when he might decide to take off and do his own thing.

With all that in mind, what is your view on how you would like to ideally handle this?
        - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
        Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

I would suggest talking to him as a friend, then it is on you the next steps,
          You could increase his pay, his responsibility and bring him deeper into your company as a manager of crews, sales, service then work him for his money.

Comment

This will happen to all good employees UNLESS you give them a reason to stay...more responsibility, pay.....how much are you paying him? How much does he make a week? Is it really enough to live on own a car, housing and pay bills? If it is not at least 2,000 a month then of course he is going to leave..especially if he has a family to support...some guys may still leave if you give them everything you could but you can't blame someone for trying... I mean, that's what you did...right?

Comment

I would suggest talking to him as a friend
              As a friend, what would you say to such an employee?
              - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
              Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X