How do you get experience?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you get experience?

I would like to get a job mowing & trimming. But all the ads I see say they want experience & mowing your own lawn doesn't count. What am I supposed to do to get training & experience?

Is it really that hard to train an employee how to mow lawn? Show me once or twice & I got it!

I really want to work outdoors but I can't find anything.

My father had a stroke last year & I've been his primary caregiver for the last few years. He died last week & now I have no income & I'm having a hard time getting hired. Staying home & caring for my elderly parents has created a huge employment gap. I have nothing current or useful to put on a job application.

I'm in danger of losing everything I own including my 3 cats & becoming homeless. I never imagined my life could get this bad.
    Last edited by ESREVER; 03-25-2015, 01:44 PM.

I am very sorry about all that happening.

Have you considered talking to one of the owners you want to work for and explain this to them? Then maybe offer to work for free for a day to get trained on how to mow properly and if they like you, you will continue to work for them.

If not that, get some flyers printed up and start handing them around your area and mow yourself? Possibly?
    - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
    Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

"Is it really that hard to train an employee how to mow lawn? Show me once or twice & I got it!"

It's tougher than many think getting a professional look. Most guys can't take the physical labor and we don't want to take the time to train, only to see them quit in a month or less.

I'm sorry to hear your story but I wouldn't share that with any potential employer. It would scare me off, too much baggage.

Tell them your a fast learner and you really need a job and you want to work. You'll find one eventually. Keep your personal life personal, at least until you get the job and have proven your worth.
      Don't Keep Replacing Lawn Sprinkler Heads
      Protect them with "Sprinkler Buddy"
      CLICK HERE > http://www.sprinklerbuddy.com

Comment

I just talked to one company. I have everything they're looking for, free schedule, drug free, no criminal record, my own truck & valid drivers license & insurance. But they said they don't have the time to train anybody & I have to have the experience because of insurance purposes.

I talked to a friend & asked her if she could talk to the guy that mows her lawn & see if he would be willing to train me for fee.

But here's a problem I see. The bigger "professional" companies don't have the time to train me & want the experience. The smaller guys might be able to train me but how "professional" are they? If I train under one of the small guys will I acquire the correct skills the larger guys are looking for? Each company has their own policies & way to do things so no matter what they're going to have to do some kind of training/teaching.

Meanwhile you see all the illegals mowing & trimming all over the place. Somebody on one of of the forums said that if you want to get anywhere in America you need to go to Mexico, renounce your citizenship & then come back as an illegal. Somebody else said that if you're a guy over 40 & don't have a job in America you might as well get a gun at a pawn shop & shoot yourself.

Comment

If the small company has been in business for 5yrs or so and that's all they do. You'll get the needed experience with them in my opinion. Even small companies usually have a trial period with pay. You shouldn't have to work for free!
          Last edited by Sprinkler Buddy; 03-25-2015, 05:26 PM.
          Don't Keep Replacing Lawn Sprinkler Heads
          Protect them with "Sprinkler Buddy"
          CLICK HERE > http://www.sprinklerbuddy.com

Comment

If the small company has been in business for 5yrs or so and that's all they do. You'll get the needed experience with them in my opinion. Even small companies usually have a trial period with pay. You shouldn't have to work for free!
            We do 10 per hour for one week. We then sit down with the employee and see if both parties are happy. If so they are given a raise along with a list of things they can improve on. We then coach them on their weak areas. I'd rather have a self motivated guy with no experience than a lazy experienced guy. You can't teach hard work ethic and common sense

Comment

I would hire a guy with no experience and a strong work ethic over someone with all the experience in the world.....I can train someone in no time... the little stuff he will catch onto.

The hard part (the reason I fire so many guys) is because they don't have a good work ethic. I was in the infantry and did a 15 and 12 month tour in Iraq....lawn maintenance/landscaping is tough but is nothing compared to the stuff I did overseas. I bust my *** everyday at work but I expect my guys to do the same.

I would hire any guy on the spot that walked up to me (with a neat appearance) that said..I don't have any experience but I will be on time everyday and will bust my ***.

Comment

Just go get any job. Any job is better than no job.

If you want to work outside look into construction companies too. Home construction, railroad construction, etc.

When I was about 16 I helped out a friends dad at his home construction site. I was the bitch and just humped equipment (tools and the wood) from the truck to the house. Apparently I worked so well he wanted to hire me more, but I didn't want to work...it was hard, and I was a kid.

Look at construction. Work hard and don't complain. And follow Mike Rowe on Facebook. His advice is golden.

Hell...apply for his scholarship mikeroweWORKS

Comment

And follow Mike Rowe on Facebook. His advice is golden
                  Does any of his advice in specific stand out that you can share with us?
                  - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!

Comment

What town do you live in?

I would like to get a job mowing & trimming. But all the ads I see say they want experience & mowing your own lawn doesn't count. What am I supposed to do to get training & experience?

Is it really that hard to train an employee how to mow lawn? Show me once or twice & I got it!

I really want to work outdoors but I can't find anything.

My father had a stroke last year & I've been his primary caregiver for the last few years. He died last week & now I have no income & I'm having a hard time getting hired. Staying home & caring for my elderly parents has created a huge employment gap. I have nothing current or useful to put on a job application.

I'm in danger of losing everything I own including my 3 cats & becoming homeless. I never imagined my life could get this bad.

Comment

Does any of his advice in specific stand out that you can share with us?
                      It's hard to pick out one piece of advice that Mike Rowe has...so I'll simply post his S.W.E.A.T Pledge.

http://profoundlydisconnected.com/sk...c-arent-taboo/

“The S.W.E.A.T. Pledge”
                      (Skill & Work Ethic Aren’t Taboo)

1. I believe that I have won the greatest lottery of all time. I am alive. I walk the Earth. I live in America. Above all things, I am grateful.

2. I believe that I am entitled to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Nothing more. I also understand that “happiness” and the “pursuit of happiness” are not the same thing.

3. I believe there is no such thing as a “bad job.” I believe that all jobs are opportunities, and it’s up to me to make the best of them.

4. I do not “follow my passion.” I bring it with me. I believe that any job can be done with passion and enthusiasm.

5. I deplore debt, and do all I can to avoid it. I would rather live in a tent and eat beans than borrow money to pay for a lifestyle I can’t afford.

6. I believe that my safety is my responsibility. I understand that being in “compliance” does not necessarily mean I’m out of danger.

7. I believe the best way to distinguish myself at work is to show up early, stay late, and cheerfully volunteer for every crappy task there is.

8. I believe the most annoying sounds in the world are whining and complaining. I will never make them. If I am unhappy in my work, I will either find a new job, or find a way to be happy.

9. I believe that my education is my responsibility, and absolutely critical to my success. I am resolved to learn as much as I can from whatever source is available to me. I will never stop learning, and understand that library cards are free.

10. I believe that I am a product of my choices – not my circumstances. I will never blame anyone for my shortcomings or the challenges I face. And I will never accept the credit for something I didn’t do.

11. I understand the world is not fair, and I’m OK with that. I do not resent the success of others.

12. I believe that all people are created equal. I also believe that all people make choices. Some choose to be lazy. Some choose to sleep in. I choose to work my butt off.

On my honor, I hereby affirm the above statements to be an accurate summation of my personal worldview. I promise to live by them.

Signed_______________________________________ Dated____________________

Comment

That is good advice. I only knew him from the Deadliest Catch Show and Dirty Jobs. I didnt know he had all this other stuff going on.

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X